Which Linux for me?

4m!7

Adept
Hello.....
i would like to try "The Linux" OS as many of them are available which one should i go for.....ohh yes...i am installing Linux on my old system..which is P4 1.6ghz....256mb ram and 16mb nvidia vanta lt.....main use will be surfing net,downloading torrents and chatting
i ve heard a program called wine which emulates windows programs and apps...is this true?

^^Afaik there is no Fedora Core now.. Its only Fedora, they dropped Core from their 8th release..

Fedora isn't a light distribution ...

@Amit ;: Please install this time.. You keep on asking everytime and end up in nothing :p

amitmishra12 said:
i ve heard a program called wine which emulates windows programs and apps...is this true?

yeah,..wine can emulate certain windows programs to run in linux.

check out the details here:

WineHQ - Wine Features

there is another proprietary software called cedega (which is spin off of wine) which is used exclusively for playing directx games in linux.

not to hijack the thread but

suppose if install linux on my system how do i removie is there of the hdd going kaput if i format the linux partition how do i removie the grub loader than :huh: darkstar please shine some light ont shubject ;)

^^ Please use other distro please :bleh:.. Just don't suggest Buntu :p DL is 1000 times more better and easy for newbie.

Also its not that everyone likes to jump into cmd line which ubuntu pushes everyone :p

I find it hard to believe that DL won't require you to dive into the command line for some scenarios... I guess I should take a quick look myself huh? :)

edit: nevermind, just read through the DL wiki and forums, there are tons of places where people are telling you to go to the command line!

will be Installing Damn Small Linux Today....Ty Darky and all....

others were too big too download as i get only 20kbps :|

see thats wat happens ...^^ :lol: when u get yourself into a topnotch command line distro ..
start simple and slowly rise up
Lol just joking !! but slax certainly wont make it in my list for suggesting to linux newbies

Back