Which is more efficient:Induction Cooktop vs Electric kettle?

Ray

Disciple
I already own an induction cooktop.I have been wanting to buy those electric tea kettles.I want to know which is more energy efficient(ie lower electric bill) Induction cooker vs Electric cooker.

Pro for induction cooktop
1.Already own cooktop and utensils
2.No minimum water level.

Pro for electric kettle
1.Smaller more convinient.
2.auto shut off

How do they compare with gas stove?

can you make tea directly in those kettles or you get just hot water?

BTW, someone with energy meter, kettle and induction cooker can tell you which one is more efficient.

BTW, someone with energy meter, kettle and induction cooker can tell you which one is more efficient.
Probably not. The energy meter (I have one) will only tell you how much power you are pulling from the wall plug. It won't tell you how much has been transferred to water.

From what I know, gas would be more clean since here most of our energy sources are coal.

Coming to efficiency, is it kettle or cooker? Cooker, induction will be better since the electric cooker does not cook the rice properly. Kettle, I would go with electric.

Induction cooktop hardly consumes any electricity. Electric kettle, I believe has a heating element that consumes more power.
The energy required to heat and boil 1 Liter of water or milk will remain the same whether you provide it via burning natural gas or LPG, or via using heating coils, or induction, or even nuclear power.

If what you speak of induction cooktop is true, then the liquid in the pan will never boil!

@Ray, there two unrelated things to consider:
1. The efficiency of heat transfer from the pot/pan/vessel to the liquid/food only change based on the material of the vessel and the shape of the vessel (wide open mouth = more heat lost to the atmosphere, and therefore less available for the food)

2. The efficiency of heat transfer from heat generation mechanism to the vessel. This is where induction scores the best. Since what is transferred from the mechanism to the vessel is NOT heat but electricity. Therefore nothing can be lost to the atmosphere.
In case of heating coil, there is a significant loss of heat from the heating coils to the atmosphere, unless the heating coil is almost touching the vessel and the backside of the coil has a mirror (to reflect all the heat back towards the vessel).
In case of a flame, there is even higher losses to the environment - especially when the flame is large.

Back