Graphic Cards Which GTX 980 to get from USA

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
I initially thought that I would get an GTX 970 locally, but my sister has finalized her plans to visit India during the Christmas time frame.

So looking to get a GTX980 instead while I am at it :p. I have to tell her in time for her to order and get it delivered.

So question is which one should I go for?

I am currently looking at getting the Gigabyte or MSI variants with the custom cooling. However availability seems to be questionable. Any others that I should be looking at?

^Where did you get that information from ? As far as my understanding goes, no manufacturer other than EVGA offers international warranty.
ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, SAPPHIRE - all provide warranty in India based on their distributors( rascals ! If I may add) - only on their imports.

No, I don't think Asus has international warranty. And yeah, the reason I want to avoid Asus STRIX series is that the fans will not even start spinning till the card reaches over 65deg. Its meant to be quiet as far as possible. That's fine for the western climates, but don't think its a good idea here.

Last year when i got my Asus VG278H i had a word with the Bangalore manager and he said asus provides international warranty..need to check with him again..

The MSI one is gorgeous but then again MSI has stopped services in India so you might run into issues if you ever have to rma..
The gigabyte is popular for reaching higher overclocks and has good repo for RMA ..Go for that :)

^^ Well, none of GPU companies are going to offer international warranty anyway, so its a moot point really. Forget international warranty, its hard enough to claim warranty for cards bought locally. The last time I had to claim warranty for a GPU, it took more than 2 months and they sent an Engineering/review sample as a replacement (although it wasn't really a bad thing since many of those cards are handpicked). So I am done trying to buy GPU's with warranty.

Cost, performance and quality are the key factors for selection.

Last year when i got my Asus VG278H i had a word with the Bangalore manager and he said asus provides international warranty..need to check with him again..

The MSI one is gorgeous but then again MSI has stopped services in India so you might run into issues if you ever have to rma..
The gigabyte is popular for reaching higher overclocks and has good repo for RMA ..Go for that :)

MSI has stopped services in India?

I would like to get the gtx 980 from the US. I have a friend coming in November. But my biggest concern is warranty. I WANT IT! So which manufacturer provides global warranty? If there exists one, please provide evidence.

The GTX 980 is crazily priced in India at 50k. Whereas in the US it is only $580.

^^ That depends on what you mean by "global warranty".

In India all GPUs are imported and sold through distributors. The A.S.S network is also through a local operator which is often the distributor himself or a party hired by the distributor. The distributor cares about providing warranty for only the units that he imported into the country and sold. He won't care about the units that are not sold by him.

If you bought a card in US and ready to pay the shipping cost for sending the card back to US and getting it back in order to claim warranty, then you will be able to make use of the warranty. If you are expecting the local distributor to provide you warranty for a card bought in US for half the Indian cost, then forget it. That's not going to happen.

How much did he end up spending on shipping? Is it worth buying from abroad? or do I wait for prices to come down in India?

Shipping to abroad is very costly & hassle full process & the price drop is not going to happen on GTX 980 for at least 6 months and after that a new generation of gpu news will start coming and a new waiting process will begin :D

Personally I did that in the past :p Now I finally decided to go with GTX 970 & suggest you to go with that too & enjoy the Blockbuster games coming this November Like AC : Unity , Far Cry 4 , COD : Advanced Warfare,
GTA 5 ( Jan 2015) & The Division & Batman : Arkham Knight (Feb 2015) .

Last edited:
Asked my sis to get either the Gigabyte or MSI models. Gigabyte model is no where to be found in stock. MSI is at least available at Microcenter B&M store near her place.

^^ That had crossed my mind already and that would make sense if these cards were easily available and it is a matter of waiting for the right deal. Right now, availability itself is very dicey. Even the Microcenter no longer has stock. So it would make sense to buy it whenever its available.

Back