Graphic Cards Which GT610 card to get?

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Need to buy a low end GPU for a rig that I am building from old parts (Gigabyte X48-DQ6 + Q9550). Its not going to be used for gaming, but since the motherboard doesn't have any on board graphics, a graphics card is needed.

I have a spare HD 4850 lying around, but its going to be an overkill and consumes about 45~50W power even at idle.

GT 610's are available for around 3k.Which one to go for? Is the GPU good ok with passive cooling like the Asus model.

Yes, I could. The reason I am considering the GT610 is that for 1k more, I could get a bit more modern GPU that is more powerful and consumes a bit less power.

These basic gpu's are useless and only meant for basic use and situations like these when you don't have onboard graphics. None of these cards will even closely utilise the 2GB vram that they come bundled with, those variants are only to fool gullible buyers who think more RAM = faster gpu (in fact I've seen a live demo of this once at a brick n mortar shop).
The integrated graphics on Haswell and up are better than these turds which is why AMD/Nvidia haven't bothered refreshing low power cards with new architectures in ages and keep rebranding old ones, the GT610 itself is by no means modern, it's a rebrand of the GT 520 which was based on Fermi iirc and you know how great :p and old Fermi is.
Like vyral already suggested get the 210 and save 1k or get something like the 5450 which consumes 10w lesser than either of these cards and can be picked up in stores for less than 2k.

P.S. Fanless is the way to go for these gpu's, no worries there.

Held off on the purchase for now. In fact, I placed the order for Zotac GT610 and then cancelled it yesterday.

I did some tests on total system power consumption with my spare HD4850 installed and the values are ranging between 100W ~ 160W while running windows 7. Of course since there will be no gaming, it shouldn't go beyond that. Planning to use it in the final build.

If impact on bills is noticeable, I will think about replacing it. I also have a old GeForce MX 400 card, but It doesn't have any output other than VGA. I wanted it to have a HDMI out so my cousin can hook it up to her LCD TV when required.

Held off on the purchase for now. In fact, I placed the order for Zotac GT610 and then cancelled it yesterday.

I did some tests on total system power consumption with my spare HD4850 installed and the values are ranging between 100W ~ 160W while running windows 7. Of course since there will be no gaming, it shouldn't go beyond that. Planning to use it in the final build.

If impact on bills is noticeable, I will think about replacing it. I also have a old GeForce MX 400 card, but It doesn't have any output other than VGA. I wanted it to have a HDMI out so my cousin can hook it up to her LCD TV when required.

Vga-- hdmi adapter??

Back