Video Which DTH to take?

anish_sha

Skilled
Using the local cable tv , now wanna switch to HD , please suggest me good VFM DTH channels I need

1. Malayalam and Tamil channels
2.HD channels - NGC,discovery and sports
3.basic Hindi and English channels

I haven't used any other connection but I have had good experience with tatasky since last 4 years. I have moved twice in that period. Luckily 2 out of 3 places had a central tata sky dish in the apartment building so I didn't have to worry about messy wiring.

I have taken the HD Mega pack which costs around 7K annually and has all the channels that tatasky has except 2-3 HD channels which you have to take a-la-carte like Star Premier HD.

Last edited:
OP, your Requirement is Basic, Go with Tata sky. But Service Quality is not the same which i noticed 3 years back.
these days i don't find difference between TS and LCO. As for Clarity and Sound they're better than others.
Growing Tariffs now and then is a disappointment with TS.

If looking for true hd with dts sound i will suggest tata sky blindly.... only draw back is number of hd channnels but slowly they are increasing. News across tells they will be leading the numbers in 1-2 years...

Have HD PVR since 2011 bought at 4k.... Use normal packages with hd access with add on channels like sports etc.

I'm using Tata Sky for past few years and never had any issues.

If you live in a place where it rains regularly then HD channels are most susceptible so be prepared

Even clouds gathering beating rain drums interrupt the signal although dish is aligned perfectly with Signal Quality=100% and Signal Strength at 70%

I'm using Tata Sky for past few years and never had any issues.

If you live in a place where it rains regularly then HD channels are most susceptible so be prepared

Even clouds gathering beating rain drums interrupt the signal although dish is aligned perfectly with Signal Quality=100% and Signal Strength at 70%

Isnt that the case for SD channels as well across all providers(Tata, Reliance, Dish, etc)?
I have basic SD Reliance Big TV and transmission gets interrupted every time it rains :arghh:, mostly before the actual rain even starts:mad:. Most people I talked to have the same experience, except for the interruption before the actual start of rain. That I think is a specialty of Reliance, I guess they have some tie-up with the meteorological institute or something.

@axis.meister How's the Service of Reliance Digital Tv?
Pathetic. stay away... as far away as possible.

Anybody using Dish HD connection? Thinking of switching once my current pack runs out. also approx cost pm for HD sports with recorder.

Someone here mentioned Tata Sky HD complete pack at about 7K annually, thats almost 600bucks per month, ain't that a bit much? Also I think Tata Sky recorder box is too costly at 8.5K.

Last edited:
Tata Sky rocks here, except occasional issues during heavy rains. I had to switch back to local cable as they were not going to provide internet without a cable line, damn bsnl.

I've been on TataSky for years now.. ever since 2009 actually, but i really think their rates are getting too much even though i have their earlier models of the recorder box.

My cousins have had excellent experience with Videocon D2H & I've seen it myself with their HD connection being quite reasonable. I've been contemplating switching to Videocon D2h for a while now but have yet to pull the trigger. I guess it would have been a no brainer if these guys had started high speed broadband on the same technology (have any of them??). Also, do any of these guys have any "swap" schemes if switching brands? Or am i gonna be stuck with the recorder box from TataSky if i disconnect them?

The other day the Sales guys came about the same product saying that I get all channels for 200/mo that too with HD clarity.
I said on their face, I won't take anything from Reliance.
And their service is truly legendary, my brother was stuck on their "helpline" for 1hr40min on waiting before he finally gave up and disconnected. And that was not the first time. Every year I have had to pay twice about 250-300bucks for servicing of the dish, because out of the blue the connection would stop working due to misaligned dish.

I had a basic wired connection from the local cable operator(Analog without CAS), which was bad quality but at least it worked. Unfortunately I decided to switch to reliance DTH few years back, and now the local cable operator is not ready to give me a connection again:mad: so I am stuck with Reliance until I get some other DTH that works. I know I should have switched a long time back but it was a combination of the annual plan that I had + lack of decent switching schemes from other providers + my laziness :grumpy:

Back