Video Which $500 Projector (1080p) to get from US? Benq / Optoma

panzer008

Disciple
I wanted to buy a FullHD projector, but prices here in India are more than twice than in the US.

But now I can get one from US as my friend is visiting in a couple of weeks.

Budget : Rs. 30,000 - 35,000 /- MaX (Approx $500)

Requirement : 1080p Native Resolution

Usage : Regular movie or TV(very minimal) viewing

Screen : None (Will be using walls)

Mostly will have ambient light in room

No experience with projectors, so starting with lower budget models. After checking projectors feasibility and experience will go for better models in the future.

Short Listed the following :

Benq TH670

Optoma HD142X

Benq MH530

So please help me choose not just between these 3, but any other projectors you know off.

Thanks

I wanted to buy a FullHD projector, but prices here in India are more than twice than in the US.

But now I can get one from US as my friend is visiting in a couple of weeks.

Budget : Rs. 30,000 - 35,000 /- MaX (Approx $500)

Requirement : 1080p Native Resolution

Usage : Regular movie or TV(very minimal) viewing

Screen : None (Will be using walls)

Mostly will have ambient light in room

No experience with projectors, so starting with lower budget models. After checking projectors feasibility and experience will go for better models in the future.

Short Listed the following :

Benq TH670

Optoma HD142X

Benq MH530

So please help me choose not just between these 3, but any other projectors you know off.

Thanks
Your best bet is to look up at www.projectorcentral.com. You have very good reviews and calculators to make your decision.

Optoma 142x : its a best option under budget , more brightness is better as you're projecting on Wall.
Second option is Benq 670. Benq honors international warranty in India whereas Optoma does not.

Last edited:
@skoka123
Yes, I have checked those reviews and throw calculations. That website is very good.
My display size will always be below 100" I think.

@drkrack
The 142x is also better because of the extra HDMI port.
I checked Benq India website and its mentioned they dont provide Overseas warranty.
"BenQ India does not provide any overseas regional warranty on Projectors"
"Warranty support will be applicable for the products imported / marketed by BenQ India Pvt. Ltd. only"

@m-jeri
Because of weight issue?? or Not permitted?

@skoka123
Yes, I have checked those reviews and throw calculations. That website is very good.
My display size will always be below 100" I think.

@drkrack
The 142x is also better because of the extra HDMI port.
I checked Benq India website and its mentioned they dont provide Overseas warranty.
"BenQ India does not provide any overseas regional warranty on Projectors"
"Warranty support will be applicable for the products imported / marketed by BenQ India Pvt. Ltd. only"

@m-jeri
I know about the website misinformation but, I have a personal experience with my friend's benq W1070 bought from USA Motherboard was changed free of cost under warranty.

I'm Currently using Benq HT 3050, if you can increase your budget it's the best you can get under $1000. I've used HD 20 Optoma earlier.

Optoma is slightly better if you are projecting on Wall (not a great difference over Benq), else get Benq 670. Benq is more natural colors some feel it dull whereas Optoma everything is saturated some feel its more glamorous (finally boils down to personal preference like, crude comparison will be : iPhone 7 screen(Benq) vs Galaxy S7 screen(Optoma) ) .

There is heavy restrictions in place to take any type of electronics in cabin now for any flights through Middle east.

We need to carry stuff in check in. That with 23Kg restriction and projector being a delicate item, chances of your friend carrying it or even if he does in check in, you getting it safe is low.

But if flight is NOT through ME, all good. I think.

@m-jeri
Ok, But I think its for flights arriving to US from ME. Not for flights departing from US.

I will check with him.
Thanks for the info.

Yes. You are correct.

But, its open season out there now for non-white people. So, better be safe than sorry.

Thought of being politically correct. Then I was like, Lets be honest.

Back