which 110 to 220v converter for a grinder ?

silverbyte

Disciple
hi guys,
I have bought a coffee grinder from the US (110V) rated at 100watts. I need to buy a voltage converter for it, but I'm confused on the SMPS vs transformer funda.

For e.g. I was considering this, but am not sure if it is the right thing. could someone advise please ?

I have a shaver that is also rated at 110v and I had bought a converter from a roadside electronics shop for around 290 Rs or something. No idea about ratings and all.
I works fine with the shaver.

Am i missing something here? The link the OP has posted says it converts from 220V to 110V. If the OP wants to use the product in India then he has to buy something to convert from 110V to 220V...

Am i missing something here? The link the OP has posted says it converts from 220V to 110V. If the OP wants to use the product in India then he has to buy something to convert from 110V to 220V...

No what OP wants is correct. The grinder OP bought is rated as 110v and if he were to plug it directly in Indian sockets, it would be fried due to excessive voltage. So he needs a converter (essentially a step down transformer i believe) which will step down the 220v coming from our sockets to 110v and then give that to grinder so it does not blow up or get bad.
I know cases where people have bought stuff from US and unknowingly put them in the wall socket in India only to find it go bad. The damage might be irreparable but in most cases it is just some fuse type thing which blows so changing the fuse or something can get it repaired easily.
Hence when i bought stuff in US, for most part i used to check if it has been rated as 110v to 240v.

^^ you can buy a plug-in version of step-down transformer from Walmart. it usually has an option to select the load - low and high. high amp is meant for running motors (your grinder).

Sorry for the bump, but I'm also facing similar issue

I purchased popcorn popper http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IUWA/ from amazon. It says 120V, 60MHz at ~12.5A (1460W). Does the below converter work? I think it might work because it does not have any electronic components (except temperature sensor)

http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-HEC-Volt...-USA-products-Rated-Upto-1600-W-/331609691332

Update :
Bought a maxine step down adaptor for 400/- locally which is rated for devices up-to 2000W power. Worked fine with my popcorn popper.

Last edited:
Back