Where to learn photography in Delhi

AMG

Skilled
My mom, bitten by the photography bug,wants to learn DSLR photography.

So suggest a good place to learn.

PS: no online courses please.
PPS: Don't recommend Nikon school, as we don't really like Nikon, and most certainly won't be buying a Nikon DSLR.

• For classroom courses, you should mention your area so that you could get pointers for the ones nearby.
  • The other thing to know beforehand would be current level.
    • Is she aware of basic concepts ?
    • Is she already using any device - Phone, P&S ... ?
  • Do not establish a brand preference unless you get familiar with features, vfm offered by a device bracket etc .
  • Be mindful of budget as body and lenses collection can tend to empty pockets at a rapid pace

• For classroom courses, you should mention your area so that you could get pointers for the ones nearby.
  • The other thing to know beforehand would be current level.
    • Is she aware of basic concepts ?
    • Is she already using any device - Phone, P&S ... ?
  • Do not establish a brand preference unless you get familiar with features, vfm offered by a device bracket etc .
  • Be mindful of budget as body and lenses collection can tend to empty pockets at a rapid pace

Area : preet vihar (East Delhi)

I mean she takes pretty decent pics on her Samsung smartphone, but I don't think she understands basic concepts like ISO and shutter speed.

She likes taking pictures. And loves traveling. She thinks that she's outgrown a phone camera.

I'll probably stick a 70-300 sigma or tamron on it.

Until I get the feeling that it's the lens that's holding me back. (unlikely to be anytime soon)

Sry .. no suggestions for Preet Vihar side at the moment.

Just 2 cents as below
  • Budget
    • Don't spend too much in the beginning
    • Photography has a learning curve and requires time and money
    • Good thing is it's not a bulk purchase but can be easily done in parts
  • Body
    • Try to get a body with low noise ratings to begin with
    • You may / may not go for a full frame as per your budget
  • Lens
    • Any specific reason for 70-300?
    • She's a beginner (in terms of manual photography) so target one / two lenses covering the both ends (wide / zoom)
    • 18-135 .. or preferably 24-105mm ( sharp and less noise) would a good choice to begin with
  • Flash
    • Flash photography is another arena. No need to invest in flash for now
  • Card
    • Get a high capacity fast card.
  • Storage
    • Storage will get consumed at a rapid pace. You'll need to plan for that by having additional HDD / portable storage / cloud space etc
  • Maintenance
    • Get a good bag
    • Get a sealed plastic box (zip lock kind) with decent amount of silica . This will keep body and lens dry
  • Post processing
    • She'll need to learn basics of post processing - adjusting exposure, sharpness etc
    • You'll need an image editor

Before doing this, why not make her go through youtube vids? Don't look at it like a course, just that she would understand some points and try these on the existing camera/camera app. It would also make her appreciative of DSLRs when compared to the limited feature set of the existing camera.

lens choice highly depends on what type of photography you want to get in. Travel photography usually requires wide angle lenses if you want to take photos in tight streets and of buildings and mountain vistas. using a 70-300 would actually be counter productive. its a good idea to invest in fast lenses. like the canon nifty fifty 50mm 1.8.

Raw image processing will help a lot in creating stunning photographs, invest in a good image edititing software. I use DxO OpticsPro.

I would not suggest canon/nikon cameras. go for mirrorless. There are many options for lenses when you go for mirrorless cameras.

Back