Audio What speakers do you use with your PC?

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
As title says I'd like to know what speakers you guys use. Not necessarily gaming or music. Just all-round usage.
Thinking of buying one. Don't know what to go for. Got some wishes but they are all out of budget. The very popular Logitech Z623 costs over 8-9k which doesn't make sense for my purchase.
Please mention the full product model name/number. Also describe how the speaker is, the sound quality, the build quality and noise/distortion, bass light or heavy, whether it's loud enough etc etc.

Thanks.

Here's my post from an older thread from last year.

Picked these up last month for 4200 after looking for 2 days in the price range you specified, pretty satisfied with em so far.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-2-1-...138531?hash=item3f64fb6c63:g:qSgAAOSwnTJW~n5q

I was in the same boat as you, my studio monitors and audio interface conked off and I didn't have the money to replace em so I was looking for a decent vfm alternative for the time being.
Thing is there aren't many options in the 2.1 space anymore, you have the usual gamut of boomy Logitech and Creative speakers, Altec Lansing is busy making portables and there are no Promedia 2.1/MX5021/SP2500 alternatives in the market anymore so you're left with F&D and the like.

After looking online tirelessly for 2 days and going through all the available options I settled for this one because they had generally favorable reviews plus I plan on acquiring better speakers in the near future so I didn't want to spend 8k on something like the Z623.
The connecting wires are a bit flimsy and the bass isn't as tight as I'd imagined it'd be but they look good on the desk and the clarity is decent even on high volumes so it was 4k well spent imo. I mostly listen to music on my headphones and iem's so this was a good addition for general use with the pc, if anyone has a budget of 5k or lower this is probably the best option available.

There's another brand called Thonet & Vander that's available these days and they seem to have some well built systems with decent reviews but I didn't pick em or the Swans due to ASS concerns.
http://mdcomputers.in/peripherals/s...der-m167/sort=p.sort_order/order=ASC/limit=25

P.S these are anything but compact, I underestimated the size of the subwoofer.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-2-1-...138531?hash=item3f64fb6c63:g:qSgAAOSwnTJW~n5q
kgpJYiF.jpg

CLtYnox.jpg

A 15+ year old ATP3. Speakers these days are all overpriced crap. I briefly had an Audioengine A2, and it was brilliant except for boominess in certain mid-bass frequencies. Exaggerated by my room construction. Had to return them.[DOUBLEPOST=1485719495][/DOUBLEPOST]I was thinking of trying the Swan M10 but after the A2 fiasco, afraid of trying... Staying away from the klipsch, logitech etc because of overpowering bass and too much V-shape. I had tried upgrading from the atp3 to one of the altec 5.1s but they were so crap in comparison, they went back in a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my post from an older thread from last year.
Thanks for sharing.
Speakers these days are all overpriced crap.
Yep this is my problem with speakers nowadays. I don't even trust the cheaper Logitech anymore. Z623 if not for the price seems like the starting point for a decent pair of speakers now. There are F&D and Edifiers which people say are decent but not sure if they do that only because of the bass and cool-looking designs lol. I won't mind going for them if they are affordable. Don't care about ASS since we don't have anything here anyway.
I do have an old premium Panasonic stereo tape speakers but I don't have the DIY skillz to make it work on a PC. Two "satellites" (or whatever they call it). I don't think it had a subwoofer.

I think I heard an edifier or fendi a couple years ago and it was loud and bassy but like all popular speakers, completely v-shaped. they're not too pricey but definitely are not quality sound. i think these days you will have to spend upwards of 25k to get decent sound. i mean even my atp3 was v-shaped but it cost 2.8k back then. even the z263s are kinda bass and treble accentuating i think. i don't mind spending a reasonable amount (15k maybe 20k) for an exceptional pair. But i aint gonna fork out a quarter lakh plus just for pc speakers. my atps are well worn out, bass is completely muddy and a moron friend i had lent them to got the transformer replaced with a local one when the original blew, without telling me. rewinding the ogi would have been better. there's a whole bunch of caps etc. i would need to change and i really don't have the time.

you could get a decent amp if the speakers work and hook your pc into the amps input. you just need to match the speakers specs. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can guide you better. Maybe post the speaker specs (impedance etc.) here as a starting point.

Presonus Eris E4.5 . Have owned Audioengine A5 in the past. The Presonus speakers are much better sounding. Good build quality as well.

AL VS4121 Black edition which I bought years back. Haven't heard it above volume of more than 50% till now. Even 30% volume is enough loud for me. I usually prefer a good pair of headphones compared to 2.1 speakers though. No disturbing anyone around and I can get to hear at music at low volume without damaging the ears.

AL VS4121 Black edition which I bought years back. Haven't heard it above volume of more than 50% till now. Even 30% volume is enough loud for me. I usually prefer a good pair of headphones compared to 2.1 speakers though. No disturbing anyone around and I can get to hear at music at low volume without damaging the ears.
Ah good 'ol antique speakers lol. Too bad we don't get those now anymore.

I dunno if it qualifies as "audiophile" grade equipment :) The AL-MX5021 with ASUS Xonar DX soundcard was a very nice upgrade though. Had cost around 6.5k for the speakers and 4.5k for the sound card about 7-8 years ago.

Using the Swans M10's here, driven with the Essence STX. Can't say I fault them a bit. I used to be very apprehensive about 2.1's in general (I like my music in 2.0), but when my good old Klipsch PM20's finally bit the dust, these have replaced them, and are quite damn good for the price you pay for them. Highly enjoyable.

I have the following setups currently running:

Setup I:
Primary PC: Logitech Z5500D
Fed By: Asus Xonar DX.
Usage: Largely gaming.

Setup II:
Work Desk (at home): Swans D1010MKII
Fed By: Nexus 7 (2012) Tab.

Setup III:
Vu 40" LED: Running 2 different set of speakers for 2 purposes, listed as follows:
1. For TV viewing: F&D T80U Floorstanders. (Connected directly to TV via RCA and Airtel TV).
2. The same screen is also connected on HDMI2 to a separate PC for movie watching in the sitting room area. This PC is connected to a Logitech Z623 which is Fed by an Asus Xonar DG. This setup also doubles up as a 24/7 radio streaming PC for my house sitting area and foyer.

Setup IV:
Primary Movie/ Show watching Station
Speakers: Polk Audio RTiA7 Floorstanders (Polished Cherry Wood Finish Edition, Balanced 7").
Subwoofer/ Sub: Polk Audio PSW505 - Freestanding 12".
A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX-V677 (7.2 Channel, Wi-Fi, 4K Ultra HD).
Display: Panasonic 55 inch LED TV.
Sources: Samsung BD-F6500 Blu-ray Player

Setup V
(Bed-time music rig):
Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
Usage: Music through Cowon X9.

Back