What? Midlife Crisis?

mach9

Das Layzeemeister
Skilled
I doubt this can be termed as one, but I'll admit.. It's probably an expensive cave in to a long resisted temptation.

So first my wife said it, then a friend I've known for years from my first company said it, then my best friends said it.. So yeah I kind of got the point.

Which is to say, wonder what they'd say when I buy my car later this year lol

After close to 2 years maybe .. Give or take.. I had to get back to the rig business..

So in my trademark crappy photos style, I present, "The Phantom"

a38c156276333d0b61370539ecc00f4e.jpg

98828c5f9971c03e11aeaecfc31ae4e5.jpg

969399b9b5cd177bbbf444dc49fd11de.jpg

For what it's worth, still have to add a couple of things more like the gfx card & the display but they'll come in good time.

For now I'm just amazed at how easy this babe over locks on the Hero with the 100i GTX
927746c0e6c7f61165aa51712ff1fb7f.jpg
in a one touch boost to 4.5 Ghz although I could prolly use some tips on a guide to setup a Skylake build to the limits given the hardware :)

My Config (as of now)
Core i5 6600k
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Corsair RM650x
Corsair DDR4 16GB 2666Mhz C16 Red
Corsair H100i GTX
NZXT Phantom 410
Samsung 250 GB 850 EVO
-----
To be added
GTX980/GTX1080
Dell 24/27

Last edited:
awesome.. I am fighting with the same temptation, Sold off a bunch of accumulated devices for the upgrade... will probably pull the trigger once this months salary is credited..

I know how it feels. Waited a long time to get back to this but I still had to save money by picking up the mobo/RAM/SSD/CPU from UAE & not here.

The PSU/Cooler/Case I picked up from Prime but yea it's upwards of 70K already I'm guessing (haven't totalled the bill yet though the wife is keen to know ;) )

If there's 1 regret, it's the case. Since the Corsair cases were I short supply & I needed to get my rig assembled before I fly out again I went with the NZXT but I've been quite let down with it overall

Congrats man. Nice to see people still getting excited about building rigs.
Although, you are still quite far off from calling this a midlife crisis. I had planned something similar a year and a half ago with a custom liquid cooling dual loop and a custom case. My budget was running close to 4.5L but better sense prevailed since I hadn't gamed on a PC for nearly 5-6 years now and really all I was excited about was building a custom PC from scratch.
If any of your friends or your wife gives you a hard time just show them my comment, or better yet, a few builds from Overclockers or other forums. If that doesn't calm them down, I don't know what will.

Congrats man. Nice to see people still getting excited about building rigs.
Although, you are still quite far off from calling this a midlife crisis. I had planned something similar a year and a half ago with a custom liquid cooling dual loop and a custom case. My budget was running close to 4.5L but better sense prevailed since I hadn't gamed on a PC for nearly 5-6 years now and really all I was excited about was building a custom PC from scratch.
If any of your friends or your wife gives you a hard time just show them my comment, or better yet, a few builds from Overclockers or other forums. If that doesn't calm them down, I don't know what will.

TBH I did have the exact same sanity check as you. I was a heavy simmer & a racing genre fan.. Then kids happened & job demands grew so basically gaming took a backseat for about 3 years now. My last rig was on Maximus V Gene. So when putting this back together I actually needed a proper PC in the house for backup needs etc.. I quickly realised there was only so much possible with the MacBook ..

But yeah I'm thinking I could have got more than enough performance with a cheaper board etc but then again I also don't change parts for upwards of 4-5 years usually. So it's a build for the long run.

Your post does ring true on choosing the display & the gfx card though.. wondering if I really need to go ape with the 1080 or just settle cheaper on the outgoing 980 or just the 1070 even considering I might hardly be gaming that often lol.

Oh well.. The thrill of building your own rig never dies though. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from putting together a rig from each hand picked component & having it run smooth like velvet!

Wow. I'm shocked at how close this is to what I built a couple of days ago.

Dear Mister Gouravajhala

Thank you for your order.

Order overview:

Mode of shipment: Collection
Payment method: Payment upon collection
Collection location: Digitec Galaxus AG, Pfingstweidstrasse 60b, CH-8005 Zürich
Monday–Friday 9:00 - 20:00, Saturday 9:00 - 16:00
Invoice address:

1 x Corsair CX600 (600W) CHF 84.30 incl.
1 x Intel Core i5 6600K BOX (LGA 1151, 3.50GHz, Unlocked) CHF 253.00 incl.
1 x ASUS Maximus VIII Hero (LGA 1151, Intel Z170, ATX) CHF 209.00 incl.
1 x Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB, DDR4-3000, DIMM 288) CHF 90.00 incl.
1 x Corsair Spec-Alpha (Midi Tower, Black, Silver) CHF 107.00 incl.

Total amount of order: CHF 743.30 incl.

Dear Mister Gouravajhala

Thank you for your order.

Order overview:

Mode of shipment: Collection
Payment method: Payment upon collection
Collection location: Digitec Galaxus AG, Pfingstweidstrasse 60b, CH-8005 Zürich
Monday–Friday 9:00 - 20:00, Saturday 9:00 - 16:00
Invoice address:

1 x ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme (GP104, 8GB) CHF 889.00 incl.

Total amount of order: CHF 889.00 incl.

My Config (as of now)
Core i5 6600k
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Corsair RM650x
Corsair DDR4 16GB 2666Mhz C16 Red
Corsair H100i GTX
NZXT Phantom 410
Samsung 250 GB 850 EVO
-----
To be added
GTX980/GTX1080
Dell 24/27

A thread I will be hooked into. With Kids growing , the demand for PC has come into house. Laptop is there but do not want kids to work on it . strictly believe they should study on table chair.

Could you share if you are doing this setup in delhi or anywhere and what is the cost involved. Given my own virtualization domain, i was thinking of going for I7 6700 But processor is prohibitively expensive in india.... so has spread the word with friends traveling abroad to get a good deal......

A thread I will be hooked into. With Kids growing , the demand for PC has come into house. Laptop is there but do not want kids to work on it . strictly believe they should study on table chair.

Could you share if you are doing this setup in delhi or anywhere and what is the cost involved. Given my own virtualization domain, i was thinking of going for I7 6700 But processor is prohibitively expensive in india.... so has spread the word with friends traveling abroad to get a good deal......

I guess if you wait a bit more you can skip Skylake altogether and it shouldn't be a bad thing or a rather long wait at all.

I basically put this together by getting parts from UAE & buying the rest in India.

CPU MOBO RAM SSD I picked up from my dealer in Dubai

The rest I picked up from Prime in Mumbai.

The gfx card I might just pick up from States when I fly there in the next couple of months or might just ask a mate to pick it up for me once supply improves and initial craze comes down

So my next addition was another (2nd) Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD & a sleek new Dell S2415H monitor which I just can't get over how sleek & sexy it looks! The factory default settings were not too bad either.. & that edge display with super thin edges is just frackin drool worthy.

Will post pics tomorrow!

For my next addition, I need a good speaker setup for my system & gaming room. Any of the audiophiles here would like to recommend a 4.1 / 5.1 system to get?

My face when people have upgraded to 6600K and I am stuck at 4690K :(

Skip Skylake at this point in time.. in another 4-5 months this won't matter.. or rather even if u go with skylake in a few months you'll save a lot of money. Besides in today's scenario with the GTX 1070/1080 .. gaming is more than taken care of by the card than the CPU anyway

So, almost to the date i first put this baby together, I got her a few upgrades a few days ago.. she's gonna be so LIT after these get plugged in :)
2x 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 Mhz C15 kits
Samsung 960 EVO m.2 NVME
Corsair K70 LUX RGB Cherry MX RED.

Total damages : approx 40K

KjjIHAf.jpg

now all that's left is a GTX 1080

Back