What is the secret to preserving video quality on YouTube ?

PoBoy

Skilled
I recently uploaded a video to YouTube :

The quality of the video there seems to be so much worse than the video I uploaded. Maybe YouTube tries to save on bandwidth. But I see other videos that are very clear even on YouTube. Any suggestions?

The video is approx 6.30 min. In FHD it was more than 900MB. I used VidCoder to reduce the size to 125MB using the Android preset. Uploading 900 MB seems to be a bit too much :)

Any compression will comprise the quality. You should had ripped it to an optimised 720hd atleast or tried uploading as is.
Btw one query is now a days for almost every 2 nd video YouTube gives options to choose its quality right from 144-1080 so how does it do it? The OP of videos wouldnt be uploading in HD 1080 in the first place right?

Any compression will comprise the quality. You should had ripped it to an optimised 720hd atleast or tried uploading as is.
Btw one query is now a days for almost every 2 nd video YouTube gives options to choose its quality right from 144-1080 so how does it do it? The OP of videos wouldnt be uploading in HD 1080 in the first place right?

If you upload in 480p, YT will only give the max resolution as the one that was uploaded. In this case its 480p. Next available resolutions would be 360p, 240p and 144p.
So where ever you see higher resolutions till 1080p or 4K, those videos were uploaded in 1080p or 4K.

Btw, What makes you think people don't upload in 1080p? Most countries in the world have extremely high upload and download speeds so its normal now for them to watch everything in HD or full HD resolutions.

Look at this wiki to see the internet speeds in the world - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

Try to compress the video down to 25 MB one more time and you'll be surprised how worse the quality got. Every compression of the video influences its quality. It concerns not only videos but also pictures.

Ya, you guys were right.

Uploaded a FHD (original) video to you YouTube:

Viewers can select Full HD (1080p) if they want to. But since the video was made using a mobile phone you may not notice any difference from 480p, LOL.

Its quite clear at 480p.
That fence near the edge is horrible. Seems like really thin wires were used instead of proper sturdy material. Even if a small dog touches it it will fall. lol.
Drawbacks of govt tenders. No one cares about safety.

^saw your video.. it needs some grading and correction. checked the shortcut too. its pretty basic compared to davinci resolve. if you want to stick to opensource only then try avisynth. its scripting based and doesnt come with UI. but very powerful. used it some 10 years ago. recently started editing videos again and found davinci resolve to be very powerful for a free tool.

Back