What does working in an IT job involve?

So IT job sucks

Most jobs do.

Indeed !!

Not really.. I am into IT and I love my job. It totally depends on your role and project/technology/tool you're working on.. If you get the right combination (which seldom happens), you would be the happiest man
<

^how is your experience in Infy ? All I hear about it, too much work & pressure ! Is it so ? Do you suggest freshers to join ? Since you are working there 5 years, you can give us clear picture
<

and yeah start ups are good to work with, to learn stuffs.

But people often complain in start ups the responsibility/work-pressure is too much to handle sometimes.

I had appeared for 2/3 interviews with start ups - but talking with them I got the feeling like they want someone like "Jack of all trades and master of at least few"
<
Kinda all-in-one guy. Sometimes they do offer very good money though.
<

its not like they want "jack of all trades and master of few" guys, they only look for guys who can get the things done. to be specific they want problem solvers than technical evangelists.

e.g., you cant say that so and so stuff is not possible because java doesn't provide that specific functionality. you have to get the thing working. you cant say that we cant have an installer because you are a c++ programmer and not a build engineer.

on the other hand, they don't want you wasting time on developing an architecture in c++ for some specific task which can be done away with few lines of perl/shell script.

but trust me, I've worked with guys who are really masters of their trade. my lead is like "c++ specification" he can tell any thing when it comes to c++. but he advises me to call a shell script from my service to do a task rather than start writing code use some specific library. and frankly after 8 years of C++; language doesn't matter to me anyways. you kinda get bored with sticking to one specific language/technology.

While this is a very welcome benefit, I know that this privilege is often abused. And some people translate shabby dressing as depressed and lack of motivation. I don't understand that

This is true if you are in a Business Development / Consultant / Sales Exec. Appearances can make and break contracts. I have seen IBM send a chick dressed in a suit once to our office when after 5 days of troubleshooting and 3 days or escalating the server issue was not resolved. I need not add she was just a showpiece i.e. did not know why she was here

No we are beauty with brain's

Guys which is the lesser of evil ? Is it TCS ? The least evil among all companies, like less pressure good working exp where one can learn etc. no need of on-site / phauren visits.

You are scared even before the job, you should be prepared for slogging for initial 1.5 years , TCS is aaram

Guys which is the lesser of evil ? Is it TCS ? The least evil among all companies, like less pressure good working exp where one can learn etc. no need of on-site / phauren visits.

There are more things to work other than less pressure, learning, etc.,

Does your company have a diversity of client domains?

Will you get a project in a domain you like? (luck)

(I was lucky to get into banking domain, and I enjoyed that part. Was able to take my career progression on the domain front)

Will you get to work with a good client? (luck)

Will the work you do be appreciated? (luck)

If money is important, will you get the much-coveted "long-term onsite"? (a little luck)

Will you get a hot chick in your project? (luck)

btw for how many years the job will be hectic ? Initial 2 years ? 4 years ?

I've always wondered the same. I kept telling myself that it'd get better.
<

btw for how many years the job will be hectic ? Initial 2 years ? 4 years ?

With this attitude, i'd strongly suggest that you save yourselves four years at the end of which you'll be contemplating an MBA degree and instead do your MBA right now.

Why blame the Company for your lack of enthusiasm, ineptness and lazyness when you can pursue higher studies?

Save yourself from the emotional drama that so many others have carelessly put themselves through.

Any idea what Chartered Accountants do in IT Cos. ? Do they work on projects or handle the Co.'s finance ?

Also any idea on the starting pay ?

I see poeple talking about startups here. Since I do run a startup, I can hope my insights prove helpful to someone.

Startups dont have the kind of financial backing that these multinational corporations have, they have to make do what little budget they have and still hope to compete with the biggies. Startups look for people who are passionate about what they do more than their MNC counterparts, WHY? bcs they have to. Otherwise, with the kind of results expected from you, you might give up.

Say you screw up in an MNC, they might lose a contract which might amount to 0.00000001% of their bottomline. A startup doesnt have their luxury, if one of my guys screws up, I end up losing a contract, I lose around 5 to 10% of my bottomline.

Yes the pressure is high, yes the pressure to pay ratio might not be good. But you learn a lot more in a lot less time. And by the time you realize that your too old(say ur getting married?) for a job so hectic, you know enough to handle the entire operations of the entire company. The first few years of a carrer is all about exposure. Its all about what you learn. Go to an MNC, get the basics right in a protected and sheilded envireonment, go to a startup, get the reality of the situation. You will realize that you acheived in 5 years what you might have acheived in 20 in an MNC. After that your free to move on to bigger companies for much better pay or follow ur passion and learn more or talk to the startups management, if your irreplacable, they might even offer you a solid profit sharing package.

Hi Guys, bumping the the old thread.
I am MBA grad, and now working in the IT firm as a functional consultant in SAP SD. I have experience of around 15 months.
I have not done SAP SD certification, but had a training of 4 weeks.
What should be my next step, i mean do the SAP certification or what would be ideal time to switch?
Currently working on support project i.e. solving tickets and all that stuff..
but I am not very keen on Technical stuff, rather I would like the role of BA which involves understanding the process of business.
Require your guidance on career path; Thanks in advance.

wait for 24 months. 15 months of workex is not gonna get you anywhere. Might as well get the certification. If you are an MBA, you should know the processes already right (at least level 3) ? especially if you are a Mark major?

Any idea what Chartered Accountants do in IT Cos. ? Do they work on projects or handle the Co.'s finance ?

Also any idea on the starting pay ?

I knew a few CAs when I worked as a SAP Consultant.... All worked as finance consultants

what is the scope of ece guys in it companies??can we get into core sw companies like microsoft,google,oracle??
cause the cs syllabus seems so easy compaed to ours and most of know shit about anything.......
they have just memorised the books and cheated in exam.....its unfair to us.....

Usual schedule:

Catch bus at 0905, reach office at 0920

have breakfast, reach desk at 0940

switch on PC, have milk/coffee/etc

sCheck and respond to mails 1000-1020

1020-1200 - code and update docs

1200-1300- Lunch

1300-1500 - code and documentation

1500-1530 - meet with manager, take technical help if any required,etc

1530-1700 - Work on secondary project

1700-1800 TT

1800-2000 GYM

2000-2100 Dinner

2100 catch Office cab to drop home

- - - Updated - - -

what is the scope of ece guys in it companies??can we get into core sw companies like microsoft,google,oracle??
cause the cs syllabus seems so easy compaed to ours and most of know shit about anything.......
they have just memorised the books and cheated in exam.....its unfair to us.....

If they just memorised the syllabus, they are NOT getting into MSFT,GOOG,etc

OTOH, if they used the extra free time since they had a lower study load than ECE guys to catch up on industry technology, take leadership roles in tech clubs,etc they will most likely get into one of the core companies

ECE guys in core CS companies: possible but highly unadvisable.

Even if you manage to get in, since you arent familiar with the stuff, you will need to spend 4-6 months to catch up (core companies give 2 weeks training at max, and it assumes you are comfortable with programming)

Please watch this video. This is what I believe, Presentation always matters !!

[That's one of the reason behind why people buy Apple products.]

9 out of 100 applicants make it into Harvard. Only one 1 of 100 make it into Infosys LMAO xD

Back