What are the best colleges in India for BCA+MCA

H2O

Skilled
Anyways I've finished school and am in the process of giving my entrance exams for engineering.

Engineering is my first choice.

But, if I do not get engineering than what should I do, I am planning a BCA +MCA integrated but what I want to know is, what are the best colleges in India also is BCA better than Bsc also after doing a BCA+MCA can I go to the US for higher education. How is the job market in India for BCA+MCA graduates.

Has noone done a BCA and MCA here ?

Re: College

Hi,

But, if I do not get engineering than what should I do, I am planning a BCA +MCA integrated but what I want to know is, what are the best colleges in India also is BCA better than Bsc also after doing a BCA+MCA can I go to the US for higher education. How is the job market in India for BCA+MCA graduates.

Before I start let tell you this, No I've not done BCA or MCA !!

But can tell this,it'd be good idea to give the choice of city/cities you are willing to go for studying this ! Also the City you are from coz just in case you have better option there !!

Btw Am from Bangalore can tell that there are quite a few here which are well reputed !! There's Jain Collage,RV Collage,etc etc... all of which are very very reputed !!

So please give the required details for a more focused answers !!

Regards.

Well......I'm doing BCA. I'm in the final semester now and willing to do MCA along with a part time job. In my opinion Btech is alwas a higher priority and then BCA+MCA. I think BCA and MCA both are proffessional courses rather than Bsc-CS(Hnrs) which is a general one. BCA is non-engg. IT but MCA is an engg. course. Many companies(even big ones) now prefer both BTech, and BCA/MCA. Can't say about Bsc.

If you are good at studies in general (i.e can keep up scores even without being pushed) and you still get bad scores at engg. entrance then go for one of the sciences and then do msc and phd. Much less hassle, lot cheaper and you'd probably be at the same place as your b.tech colleagues 10 years down the line.

On the other hand if you study only because others force you to and would prefer not to do it as much as possible then go for something related to finance.

I don't mind studying in any city in India. The main thing is that I like computers and I like coding (whatever I've done with java till now). Whatever I do I am looking for Computers + Math in college.

Engineering would be my first choice especially computer science engineering.

I would like to know which are the reputed colleges, I think my class 12 marks should not be a problem.

I would recommend two colleges from the South, IIIT Hyderabad and PSG Tech Coimbatore. The former has a very good course but a high fee structure.

On the other hand if you study only because others force you to and would prefer not to do it as much as possible then go for something related to finance.

Lol why is that generalization? The best minds in finance field are actually engineers from premiere institutes, who have later done their MBA's. And fields in finance like investment banking, trading at top banks etc pay much more too :)

H2O said:
Engineering is my first choice.

But, if I do not get engineering than what should I do,

H2O said:
Engineering would be my first choice especially computer science engineering.

In that case I would strongly recommend that you concentrate more on getting past that engg entrance exam rather than ponder about what you would do in case you do not make it.

I myself decided that I would do Engg when I was in the 3rd standard and decided on the Comp Sc stream when I was in 7th standard. I never gave a thought about what I would do in case I did not make it past the entrance exam. Its not like I prepared for the entrance exam itself for a long time (It was more like a month of preparation), but I simply decided that I wanted to do Engg in CS even if I had not got past the entrance, I would have attempted it again till I got through.

Let me tell you about my sister as well in case you are more of a practical minded person like my sister. She was largely undecided on what she wanted to study till 10th. One thing she hated was Math. So definitely no engg for her. She decided she wanted to enter the law field like my father. Since also wanted to keep her options open, so she took up BiPC (Biology, Physis, Math) after 10th (she did not like math). She had a knack for cutting up things in the dissection classes and for remembering long names, so she could have attempted medical entrance, but she decided of her own accord that both medicine and law were trouble fields for her and hard to settle down and start earning, So she decided she would take up BCA and prepared only for that. She completed BCA and then MCA and joined the IT field starting with Satyam and then moving on to Wipro and currently in Infy. Even now she is not a bit interested in computers apart from what she does at office to earn her salary.

Although both of us are working in the same field, our motivations were completely different and my interest in computers goes past more than just earning a living. After B.Tech I did my M.Tech specialization solely out out interest and there too I did not randomly apply to every college out there and rather only to ones that offered specializations that I was interested in and I had a lot of fun trying out stuff that I was interested in during those two years. It did not give me any advantage in terms of job prospects and neither did I expect any. I got about the same kind of compensation package as the offer I got after my B.Tech.

So in the end If your goal is to join engg for learning about computers/electronics then don't look past that option. If your goal is to ultimately join the IT stream, then it doesn't matter much which course you take up. Of course you can learn as much or as little as you want in either alternatives, but my personal opinion out of experience is that if you look at the amount of learning solely from a curriculum standpoint, B.Tech in CS goes much more than a BCA + MCA. There are a number of areas related to computing that are never covered as part of the curriculum in BCA/MCA. A BCA or MCA is designed much more to procure you easy employment in the IT industry.

If you want to ultimately end up with a doctorate (PhD) then a B.Tech + PhD is much better option than BSc + MSc + PhD or any bachelors + masters + doctorate combo.

Also one more tip, if you cant make it to engg and want to go for MCA ultimately and career minded, then don't opt for BCA. Rather take up B.Com. There is a 80% overlap in what you learn in BCA and MCA. A B.Com + MCA or BCA + MBA widens up your career options.

Lord Nemesis said:
In that case I would strongly recommend that you concentrate more on getting past that engg entrance exam rather than ponder about what you would do in case you do not make it.

I myself decided that I would do Engg when I was in the 3rd standard and decided on the Comp Sc stream when I was in 7th standard. I never gave a thought about what I would do in case I did not make it past the entrance exam. Its not like I prepared for the entrance exam itself for a long time (It was more like a month of preparation), but I simply decided that I wanted to do Engg in CS even if I had not got past the entrance, I would have attempted it again till I got through.

Well.....Now that's the attitude and confidence.

Be positive. :bleh:

Think like an Optimistic.

BEST OF LUCK :clap:

Hi,

I have done MCA(Mumbai Univeristy) from SIES College of Management Studies Nerul. Very good college for Mgt studies. My batch was the 2 batch to pass out. Placements were OK. But things have improved a lot.
Now there is a common entrance test for MCA. If possible u can Try doing MCA from Mumbai University cause its one of the best courses. (Trust me its a 3 years course but the 3 years just flew away) its very difficult to complete the course. When in college you wonder why i am doing this course and feel that the course syllabus is so boring. ( will start with c,c++,java) but once u work for 2-3 years we realize that what we learned in those college years was so useful.
I am saying this from my personal experience.
But if doing from Mumbai be prepared for all the hardwork.

Aces170 said:
^^ XT had done a same course, and it looked like he was studying/prepare for projects forever....

XT went to MET in Bandra.
and yes, he was studying/preparing for projects all the time... (for real, or supposedlym god knows :p)

Back