Graphic Cards What AMD card for 2200G

AMG

Skilled
So I built a basic rig for CSGO in October.

The specs are
Ryzen 2200G
8 Gig DDR4 2400
240 Gig cheapo SSD
A320M Gaming AM4 Motherboard

Now I've been using the integrated Vega 8 (with 2 Gigs allocated as GPU memory in BIOS).

However, I'm grossly unsatisfied with the reliability. (repeated atikmpag.sys and atikmdag.sys Blue screens, which is basically a graphics card issue) I have also heard that Ryzen needs very high freq RAM for the GPU to work properly (we are talking of 3000+MhZ)

So, I was thinking that instead of upgrading the RAM, it'd be better to just get a proper graphics card.

And CSGO is a CPU intensive game anyway, so I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, and I dislike anything thats mainstream, so no Nvidia suggestions please.

PS: I've been considering the RX570 and 580, but do I really need it for YouTube and CSGO?

I've been very satisfied with the performance of the Vega 8, (when it works). Its just the crashes that annoy me.

I don't know what you mean by that but 570 is best price/performance card if you play all kinds of games. AMD is also giving two free games with it which you can sell for 2k each.
It costs like 14k but you have to ask yourself do you really need to spend that much on a card just to play CSGO on it?
I think your CPU is fine and you should get 60fps at all times if you set everything to low. Crashes might be due to other reasons, monitor temps with afterburner and see if it crashes due to overheating.

Cos adding a gpu to a apu doesn't make sense.

I already have that agpu.
You want me to throw it in the dustbin, and spend extra for a 1500. Like for real?
And I do hope you realize I can disable the integrated graphics, right?

I don't know what you mean by that but 570 is best price/performance card if you play all kinds of games. AMD is also giving two free games with it which you can sell for 2k each.
It costs like 14k but you have to ask yourself do you really need to spend that much on a card just to play CSGO on it?
I think your CPU is fine and you should get 60fps at all times if you set everything to low. Crashes might be due to other reasons, monitor temps with afterburner and see if it crashes due to overheating.

I dont. Its not performance that I'm seeking from this rig, its reliability.

Its just that what if I spend extra, get 2 x 4GB 3200 MhZ RAM, and the problem still persists?

I already have that agpu.
You want me to throw it in the dustbin, and spend extra for a 1500. Like for real?
And I do hope you realize I can disable the integrated graphics, right?

I dont. Its not performance that I'm seeking from this rig, its reliability.

Its just that what if I spend extra, get 2 x 4GB 3200 MhZ RAM, and the problem still persists?
You really thought I told you to throw it in dust bin
? LMAO. RESELL IT . Anyways. Each one to his her own quirks.

It would have been better to go with a Ryzen CPU sans iGPU i.e. 5/7 series along with a dGPU since it would give you better bang for your buck.
If you can't sell off the 2200G without taking a major loss then it depends on your budget. One other thing what PSU are you using?

You really thought I told you to throw it in dust bin
? LMAO. RESELL IT . Anyways. Each one to his her own quirks.

WHY?

It serves my purpose pretty well. (The CPU part of it, not the Vega 8 part of it)

And I'll lose a bunch of money re-selling it, wont I?[DOUBLEPOST=1548865162][/DOUBLEPOST]
It would have been better to go with a Ryzen CPU sans iGPU i.e. 5/7 series along with a dGPU since it would give you better bang for your buck.
If you can't sell off the 2200G without taking a major loss then it depends on your budget. One other thing what PSU are you using?

Honestly speaking, in hindsight, I agree with you.
However I didnt expect Vega 8 to throw these random BSODs. Unreliable POS, that.

BSOD is not normal and you should check why it is happening. What are the temps you get while playing?

Its actually quite a well known issue. Google "atikmpag.sys 2200g" and you will see literally hundreds, if not thousands of people with this issue.

Earlier it was a lot more frequent, then I tried every known suggestion, until this one worked. https://community.amd.com/thread/180166
It didnt fix it, but it made the crashing go from every 5 minutes to say, once an hour.

So I changed the TdrDelay from 1 to 8, and it was a lot more stable. I could have gone the whole hog and set it to 16, but I didnt want to, especially with the bundled stock cooler.

Then you can go for 750ti/1030/rx550.
If you only play csgo then 570 will be like buying motorbike when cycle can do the work.
It won't hurt but there is really no need for it.
Get whichever card is cheapest, they will run csgo at more than 60fps if you set everything low.

So I built a basic rig for CSGO in October.

The specs are
Ryzen 2200G
8 Gig DDR4 2400
240 Gig cheapo SSD
A320M Gaming AM4 Motherboard

Now I've been using the integrated Vega 8 (with 2 Gigs allocated as GPU memory in BIOS).

However, I'm grossly unsatisfied with the reliability. (repeated atikmpag.sys and atikmdag.sys Blue screens, which is basically a graphics card issue) I have also heard that Ryzen needs very high freq RAM for the GPU to work properly (we are talking of 3000+MhZ)

So, I was thinking that instead of upgrading the RAM, it'd be better to just get a proper graphics card.

And CSGO is a CPU intensive game anyway, so I'm open to suggestions.

PS: I've been considering the RX570 and 580, but do I really need it for YouTube and CSGO?

I've been very satisfied with the performance of the Vega 8, (when it works). Its just the crashes that annoy me.

Dude, Vega 8 should be more than enough for you requirements -

1) Try fresh install of the AMD drivers
2) Fresh windows install
3) I have read that setting the CPU to a set frequency and not letting it throttle does help.
4) Question - do you have 8gb in dual channel, if not get another 8gb 2400 mhz module, see if you can OC to 2666mhz, which is the sweet-spot.

Please try the above and report.

Dude, Vega 8 should be more than enough for you requirements -

1) Try fresh install of the AMD drivers
2) Fresh windows install
3) I have read that setting the CPU to a set frequency and not letting it throttle does help.
4) Question - do you have 8gb in dual channel, if not get another 8gb 2400 mhz module, see if you can OC to 2666mhz, which is the sweet-spot.

Please try the above and report.

My problem is not performance, but reliability. I wouldnt be even thinking about this if the Vega 8 were reliable enough. But its not. It gives me atikmpag.sys, which is a Video TDR failure.

TDR stands for Timeout, Detection, and Recovery components in Windows. It's supposed to be there to help stop BSODs by resetting the GPU and/or driver when there's an issue causing a lengthy delay. If this problem happen too many times in a row, a blue screen of death occurs.

1: Done. No effect.
2: too lazy.
3: My CPU runs stock temps.
4: Yep. Dual channel.

I, on the contrary have heard underclocking the 2400 to 2133 would give me less BSODs.

See. Its clear that the integrated GPUs in the Ryzen chips are not upto the mark. Atleast not with the low freq RAM.

I know I should fiddle with the RAM before buying a new GPU.

I think OP's on the right track in terms of value for money.

Back when I upgraded to Ryzen 7 1700 I had to tear my head out with RAM compatibility. Had to spend too much for a Asus Crosshair VI Hero (which has a lot of bells and whistles for a noob OC'er like me which I almost never use except for RAM timings) and a whopping 17k on 2x8 GB GSkill FlareX 3200 MHz kits.

Instead of messing around with high speed low latency RAM which is still a bit too expensive its better to go with a budget GPU if hes only looking at a smooth experience with CS:GO. The Raven Ridge iGPU is very sensitive to RAM speed and latency as thats the only memory it has access to. dGPUs have their own higher speed RAM(being GDDR5/6/HBM2 nowadays).

But I agree with @vishalrao when it comes to reinstalling Windows if you have switched the heart of the machine (i.e. CPU and mobo and that too from a different vendor)

BTW how come we're talking about dual channel when OP has a single RAM stick only?It's like asking for airbags on a bike.

I think OP's on the right track in terms of value for money.

Back when I upgraded to Ryzen 7 1700 I had to tear my head out with RAM compatibility. Had to spend too much for a Asus Crosshair VI Hero (which has a lot of bells and whistles for a noob OC'er like me which I almost never use except for RAM timings) and a whopping 17k on 2x8 GB GSkill FlareX 3200 MHz kits.

Instead of messing around with high speed low latency RAM which is still a bit too expensive its better to go with a budget GPU if hes only looking at a smooth experience with CS:GO. The Raven Ridge iGPU is very sensitive to RAM speed and latency as thats the only memory it has access to. dGPUs have their own higher speed RAM(being GDDR5/6/HBM2 nowadays).

But I agree with @vishalrao when it comes to reinstalling Windows if you have switched the heart of the machine (i.e. CPU and mobo and that too from a different vendor)

BTW how come we're talking about dual channel when OP has a single RAM stick only?It's like asking for airbags on a bike.

I have 2 x 4 GB DDR4 2400

Back