CPU/Mobo What am I doing wrong ?

arghya139

Disciple
I am facing problem with overheating of CPU & Graphics Card from time to time, I am using the following -
  • CPU - AMD FX 8350
  • Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990 R2
  • GPU - Saphire R9 270x 2 GB DDR 5
  • Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • SSD - Silicon Power S70 120GB SATA III
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Monitor - Dell @ 1600 x 900.
  • PSU - Corsair VS550
  • Cabinet - Coolermaster Mid Twoer
But without any load, the Graphics Card temp is easily 70 Degrees Centigrade
below is a picture of the airflow

IMG_20150516_125653.jpg

Suggest me how to improve airflow to decrease system temp ?

So you are in my shoe.
I have installed fans on front panel in dvdrw area by removing the flaps.
Current system comprises of 7 fans incl. 2 side, 1 rear, 1 front, 1 top, for 2 for hdd. And others of proccy, gpu and dual psu.
In all 11fans.

** My front fan setup is only for summers.

I'm out of town so can't post pics.
But I havent done any cutting.
I'm using zebronics peace cabby.
It got top fan option and comes with 3 fans fitted.
You first need to do some really good cable management and clear air obstruction.

Follow proper airflow diagram.

Remove all or required front panel/flaps which we do to install any optic drives. Then install 1 or 2 80mm fans there. Or a 1 big 120mm. Now all this depends on your cabinets space and airflow and obstruction in the airflow path.

OP, several suggestions and pointers. Firstly, your case is the CM Elite 310, not 311 (311 has a bottom mounted PSU)

Secondly, just looking at the dust on just your fan blades, please clean that system out. With so much dust just on the blades, the possibilty of the Hyper212 heatsink fins and the GPU heatsink fins being caked with dust is very, very high.

Mount the Hyper212 Vertically, not horizontally with the fan pushing air through the heatsink and toward the rear 120 exhaust.

Your Graphic Card has an aftermarket cooler, and its the type that exhausts hot air into the case itself, so since your Case has a 120mm fan mount on the side window, i'd suggest trying to slap on a 120 on the side (as an exhaust) and checking how your temps are doing. Id also push the card up to the topmost PCIE slot so theres more clearance below for hot air to accumulate and eventually get exhausted via the side panel 120mm fan.

Now why should he install his gpu in topmost pciex slot and degrade graphics experience to 8x?
I think the GPU is doing ok given the cabinet and exhaust conditions.

Try the above mentioned hyper212 method.

OP, several suggestions and pointers. Firstly, your case is the CM Elite 310, not 311 (311 has a bottom mounted PSU)

Secondly, just looking at the dust on just your fan blades, please clean that system out. With so much dust just on the blades, the possibilty of the Hyper212 heatsink fins and the GPU heatsink fins being caked with dust is very, very high.

Mount the Hyper212 Vertically, not horizontally with the fan pushing air through the heatsink and toward the rear 120 exhaust.

Your Graphic Card has an aftermarket cooler, and its the type that exhausts hot air into the case itself, so since your Case has a 120mm fan mount on the side window, i'd suggest trying to slap on a 120 on the side (as an exhaust) and checking how your temps are doing. Id also push the card up to the topmost PCIE slot so theres more clearance below for hot air to accumulate and eventually get exhausted via the side panel 120mm fan.

yes u are right its 310

Will try that mount of 212

But 310 has two side fan mounts, side upper has 120mm - which cant use as space blocked by 212
Side lower has 80mm mount, I have bought one from amazon should arrive this week

What else I can do ?

Now why should he install his gpu in topmost pciex slot and degrade graphics experience to 8x?
I think the GPU is doing ok given the cabinet and exhaust conditions.

Try the above mentioned hyper212 method.

Topmost slot is x16 AFAIK. Also, the 310 is a small and narrow case. His gpu blows out hot air inside the case, below it, and it being in the lower PCIE slot means that the hot air collects in the small space below the card and then rises back up right into the card, increasing ambient in the lower section between the Card and the bottom of the case. Try the method OP, I know what i'm talking about.

Also, wait for that 80, put as an exhaust on the sidepanel and let us know.

Topmost slot is x16 AFAIK. Also, the 310 is a small and narrow case. His gpu blows out hot air inside the case, below it, and it being in the lower PCIE slot means that the hot air collects in the small space below the card and then rises back up right into the card, increasing ambient in the lower section between the Card and the bottom of the case. Try the method OP, I know what i'm talking about.

Also, wait for that 80, put as an exhaust on the sidepanel and let us know.

Opps. I didnt saw that the mobo has 3*pci-ex slots. My bad. Posted image didnt load on my cell while posting.
Yes he can very well install the GPU on the first slot itself. That will create more room for air circulation beneath the card and so some degrees will cool eventually.

Ok my 80mm fan arrived, attached that to side lower
Re-positioned 212 as suggested
Moved GC to top Slot

It looks like conditions have become worse

CPU Temp 50-60 Degree Celsious
GPU Temp 60-80 Degree Celsious

^^ Both are under No - Load condition, didnt run any game yet

Get a case with good airflow. Ideally with front and top fans. Every case has one 120 mm fan at the back.
No matter what you do, in the present case, hot air will keep circulating throughout the cabby. The cpu fan circulates hot air towards the top and bottom of the case. The top is blocked by the psu with a measly fan which was meant to cool the psu only. The hot air from the PSU which escapes the psu fan reaches the rams, graphics card and gets further hot by the time it comes to the hdd bay. Without any other cool air coming inside from the bottom, the case will heat up fast. If you don't have money to spend on a case, keep the side door open when you run the comp.

What are the temps if you keep the side door open? Also if you have got only 1 exhaust... Try adding a powerful fan over there like the cm 90cfm fans... They are cheap and very reliable... Also you might consider reapplying the thermal paste to both the cpu n gpu... If you have never done it before and use caution while doing so...

It looks like you need more exhaust.
the side fan you installed is taking air out of the case right? it should be as close to the graphics card as possible.
next, have the 212 aiming the other way i.e. have the fan facing the front of the case instead of the bottom. this way it will exhaust hot air directly to the other case fan at the back (the one below the psu)
Do not rely on the psu to exhaust any hot air as it too generates heat.
Which city are you in? what are room temperatures like?
Test it out with the side panel removed and see if temps improve - this is so that you can be sure the problem is to do with airflow and not a faulty component or old thermal paste.
if you do plan on buying a new case, be sure to get one that has exhaust vents on the top of the case as these generally have very good airflow.

Back