Graphic Cards Weird PC behavior.

TROOP3R

Recruit
Hello fellow forum members. I have a strange PC case to share with you all.

It started when I loaded Dota 2 and bam! the game crashed with the PC frozen. After a hard reboot, Windows booted (obviously) into 'Safe Mode'. During the safe mode screen, I noticed the display/graphics were a bit corrupted with a green/cyan tinge on a few words. Also, during the Safe Mode loading screen the blue 'Welcome' screen was tearing. After the safe mode loaded, I just browsed around My Computer etc, and noticed the window panels that had blue shades or backgrounds were tearing as well. I doubted it could be the bad video card drivers, so I clean uninstalled the gfx drivers and rebooted windows. This time, Windows loaded into its usual Normal mode, however, the aforementioned screen tearing of the Welcome screen, window panels with blue color continued. Then I loaded the prior version of the gfx drivers and rebooted windows. This time instead of loading windows into the normal mode, my computer froze again with no display on my monitor. The keyboard was unresponsive. Although I waited for a 10 mins thinking its taking its own time to load. But I had to do a hard shutdown/reboot.

Summary:
> Windows loads into Safe mode with screen tearing.
> Windows refuses to load in Normal and a blank screen is seen.

System -
Windows 7 (SP1)
8 GB RAM (Dual channel)
AMD FX 8320
Sapphire (AMD) 270x 4GB
MSI 990 FXA

Steps tried -
> Rolled back drivers to 16.xx from 17.xx
> Opened the hood and re-dusted off the video card.
> Reseated the video in the second PCIe slot.
> Reseated/Swapped DIMMs.
> Powered my laptop and posted this issue on these forums.

What could be the possible cause? I'm experiencing this issue for the very first time. I have little knowledge of hardware as I've custom built my own desktops.

My PC was working fine till this afternoon. Any help/suggestion is appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Camshots resized and attached. Kindly review.

Attachments

• IMAG0127.jpg
    IMAG0127.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0129.jpg
    IMAG0129.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 163
can you check booting up with another GPU (friends or someone's)? Seems to me that the GPU has called it a day.

Hey! thanks for replying.

Yeah, had a discussion with a friend. Will be doing some tests this weekend. Will come back here if there are any other surprises.

Dude, this is exactly the same issue I got with my Sapphire R9 270x 2GB. It started on Saturday for me. Almost exactly the same behavior.

I had just started Borderlands TPS, was still in the character select screen. Suddenly, the screen went all blue/cyan and would not respond. I did a hard reset, but I started getting a weird "HDMI out of range" message. I switched to DVI cable, and I was able to get display but only at 720p res. I tried going into safe mode and installing latest/older drivers, but every time the screen just goes black and then I have to hard reset again. I am also getting those weird green sploshes, but in my case it is in the form of two straight vertical lines.

I have basically assumed my card has died now. This was a refurbished card which Sapphire had given when I had to RMA my card last month. I have just given up on getting this replaced now.

Placed order for a new GTX1060 and a new power supply last night. Hope this card lasts longer than 2 years.

Dude, this is exactly the same issue I got with my Sapphire R9 270x 2GB. It started on Saturday for me. Almost exactly the same behavior.

I had just started Borderlands TPS, was still in the character select screen. Suddenly, the screen went all blue/cyan and would not respond. I did a hard reset, but I started getting a weird "HDMI out of range" message. I switched to DVI cable, and I was able to get display but only at 720p res. I tried going into safe mode and installing latest/older drivers, but every time the screen just goes black and then I have to hard reset again. I am also getting those weird green sploshes, but in my case it is in the form of two straight vertical lines.

I have basically assumed my card has died now. This was a refurbished card which Sapphire had given when I had to RMA my card last month. I have just given up on getting this replaced now.

Placed order for a new GTX1060 and a new power supply last night. Hope this card lasts longer than 2 years.

Is Sapphire to be blamed for this, or some kind of temperature control issues at the user's end? I have an air cooled system.

Mine lasted for exactly 3 years.

Ordered an RX 480 - MSI GamingX. Vega would be out of budget and I kinda need a (performer) card for my work (and gaming).

I kinda lost trust in Sapphire though. (Had 8500, x1900, and a r9 270x).

Last edited:
Well, I can't say if it is a Sapphire issue. As of now its only the two of us reporting this. Edit: Just clicked on another thread in this section. This dude has a Sapphire 280x and my issue looks exactly like the 2nd pic he has put. He started his thread on 15-Mar-2017. Interesting.

Anyways, I am also done with Sapphire now.

First of all, they provide only 2 year warranty in India. All other manufacturers provide at least 3 years. Plus the sellers on Amazon/Flipkart etc. blatantly lie and list that Sapphire gives 3 year warranty.
Second, the actual card I bought died exactly 1 day before the 2 year warranty expired and the refurbished replacement I got lasted for exactly 1 month.

So, I ordered Zotac 1060 now, specifically for the 5 year extended warranty. No idea how good they are at honoring it, but still it gives some peace of mind. Plus, after using AMD cards for almost a decade, I want to try Nvidia again.

Back