Storage Solutions WD warranty says Invalid serial no.

nRiTeCh

Skilled
This is my friends WD 1TB hdd.

Drive got lot of bad sectors so cannot be formatted.

Issue: The disk was purchased in Jan 2015. (on hdd the sticker Mfg. date say 28 nov 2014).
So officially at least 2 yr warranty should be left till Nov 2016.

wd.jpg

When we checked on WD site it says: Invalid serial no.
upload_2016-3-29_1-5-38.png

Now he also lost the bill along with other documents during house shifting.

So the question is how to claim warranty and get the hdd replaced?

Call wd cust care , might be the drive is not of Indian region, they can clarify and if in warranty can issue rma. Secondly you do not require invoice copy for rma. Alternatively you can mail to them attaching a screenshot of warranty as well as pic of drive

Most probably this is an out of region hdd and hence when you are selecting country as India and entering the serial you are getting an error. You will have to call up wd to sort it out, or select different country in drop down on wd warranty check ( lot of trial and error ) , best to call wd and if they can ascertain warranty they will accept rma claim. Generally warranty is restricted to country/ region but if you are lucky they may accept rma claim

^seconded. WD will not entertain your warranty request. I've been there when i was sold an "illegal" harddisk by "Cost To Cost." your only option here is dealing with the dealer who sold you the harddisk and you'll need the bill for it.

Hi nRiTeCh,
I am sorry you have issues with your WD Drive.

After doing a little bit of research on this model it looks like a recertified drive. The best thing here would be to find the dealer and replace the drive.
From a warranty point of view, since this drive showing invalid serial number, replacements would be with the reseller, if they give any kind of warranty.

If you have some kind of warranty issues in future, I'd advise you to contact with our support team in India.

The following link contains details of India support team:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=9zV1S8

Hope it helps. Keep me posted.

Back