Video Watching Tv during thunderstorms

gaganjain

Adept
I hear rumors about that during thunderstorms watching tv would risk it has chance of blowing tv via cable
Is this true ?
Is there any way :huh:
:mad: bcoz of thunderstorms i have to unplug lan wire, only option was watching tv now shit is with tv also.

Kumar said:
you *can* watch tv during thunderstorms.....but there is a chance of frying your TV due to lightning strikes.
ROFL — Rolling on floor laughing :rofl:
Kumar thats is why i am asking question ?

Yes I had to face this problem. During lightening my TV went blank and on servicing it was found that many parts had got fried by lightening, fortunately it was in guarantee period and I could get replacement of parts. Sony TVs have got some protection inside, I don't know the technical details though.

That wont be much good either, as the voltage from the mains *can* spike up during these periods too...

The best protection, as has been suggested by TE_Addict is to use a MCCB and a Surge protector....

dunno m8, will be headhunting for these myself too once i get to bangy

oh and MCCB's are like MCB's and need to be installed within the board, the main board or the one in your room is your wish and depends on the kind of power rating you get it for...

and make sure that earthing is proper, i.e. earthing is not just the neutral wire connected to the earth terminal...

Which is the higher risk ie probability, the cable coming unearthed from the outside or the mains ?

my bet is with the cable coming from outside ;)

just like with the LAN cables, i've never heard of anyone's pC getting fried through the mains due to a lightning strike.

Could ppl confirm this, if possible, where were the burns visible ? at the cable end or from the mains end ?

Well, usually the power companies take care of the high spikes at their end but they do happen (ever hear of some ones fridge or AC getting fried)

Usually the MCB's protect them too...

The problem usually comes when the voltage increases to say 260-270V from the standard...this can fry up everything....

But yes, voltage spikes do occur (several KW) and ofcourse fry everything in their path....but they are very very less common....

Oh that...well yeah...the majority anyways....

But its still a wise thing to unplug all major electronic items in case of a thuderstorm, one never knows when a spike may hit....

Lol...well for one when the storms go really really bad (can happen say once a year) the supply is cut off from the distributor end, so not much of a risk there...

As for how many people who do that? Not many do, but then again many of em dunno about the dangers of that, that and some are too lazy (mesa comes to mind :D), besides like I saod that doesnt happen too often and if it does, the MCB as the first line of defence is a pretty good protector.....

Back