Want to Reduce scanned pdf

int86

You'r born free
Disciple
Many a times I have to reduce size of scanned pdf document. For doing same I usually print it and scan it at lower resolution in graysacle.

Isn't there any freeware to do same.

scan it in paint application(custom settings) in jpeg after that you can print it to a pdf file in foxit pdf.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Why dont you scan each page to an image. Convert that images to png, then lower the resolution of the Png via any batch image editing app. After that make a pdf out of them again.
Scan to images --> lower resolution of images, --> make pdf

You can automate the whole process in batches so that it takes less than 5 mins to do.

your scanner software should have lots of tweaking options built-in.

just reduce the resolution (dpi) "before" scanning.

EDIT: I read the query 101 times :p and realized that OP doesn't have physical access to the documents and he can't scan them in low resolution to begin with. So, please ignore my suggestion.

Last edited:
In Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, there is an option wherein you can re-save the file as 'Reduced Size PDF'. That reduces the size considerably while retaining quality.

There are plenty of online file size reducers that reduce the file size by removing layers and also reducing the quality of images. If the files are not confidential then this is a good option. If confidential then subscribe to Adobe online and get the pro version which has the feature described by Ankur.

I already have many scanned documents scanned at higher resolution and in color. I dont want to scan it again at lower resolution, which is what I am doing it currently. I am looking for an offline freeware which wil reduce it to lower resolution.

I have foxit reader installed.

I just print the existing pdf again into foxit pdf printer(with printer settings configured) for reduced size

If you mean reducing the size of the PDF you don't need to reduce image size, you can do it under the Documents tab (PDF reader like )as mentioned here:
In Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, there is an option wherein you can re-save the file as 'Reduced Size PDF'. That reduces the size considerably while retaining quality.
^I do this everyday. Reduces size from 8MB+ to <2MB. It works great.

If you mean reducing the size of the PDF you don't need to reduce image size, you can do it under the Documents tab (PDF reader like )as mentioned here:

^I do this everyday. Reduces size from 8MB+ to <2MB. It works great.

I am looking for some freeware

Back