Want to know about SAP Software

Shanpav12

Disciple
Hello,
I ma new to SAP wand want to know what SAP is, I am a developer withg Visual studio 2005, aS many People say Oracle DB and SAP will make me more Competant with today's standard, So Waht work is done with SPA Software, and As I have A Desktop with Intel core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz, 2GB Ram,160 GBsata HDD onboard GMA Graphics 384 MB ,Windows XP SP3 cac thi computer can handle SAP nad OracleDB. I want to learn about Oracle and SAP Programming or
Whatever it is ,as I dont know about it,
Please hlp me out.

Thanks

SAP is not a programming language

Its an enterprise software and it cant be installed like any other software on desktop (tho they are means to do it...only experienced people can install it)

SAP uses both ABAP and Java for its coding

Download MiniWAS and practice ABAP programming, if u are interested to learn it

you can get SAP mini basis for learning ABAP programming and or basis administration.

SAP is an ERP a complete end-to-end solution, which includes a sandbox environment called SAP basis which for starters can be thought of as something like the JVM.(Though its far from being just a JVM).

The programming language used is ABAP4, for some variants (EP/XI) Java is also supported.

OK since I have been working in SAP for 2 years now maybe I can give a some idea about SAP.....

SAP is everyone said is ERP package for business management to put in simple terms.....

Companies implement SAP based on their needs and requirements....

Various versions and types are available depending on company size and requirements

I have worked on SAP ECC 4.7 and 6.0.

Their are various modules in SAP which are implemented based on business needs

Few examples

1) MM : material management

2) SD : Sales and distribution

3) PS : Project systems

4) EP

5) FI : Finance

and so on.....

If someone says he knows every module in SAP in an interview he is plainly lying and he gets rejected then and there :bleh:

People are mostly domain experts and need to map a real business process in a SAP system.... so technical knowledge in SAP is maybe just 30% important....main is u should know the business process.....

I am an SAP technical consulatant now.... which is purely technical....although I am am slowly learning the functional aspects too now

ABAP - Advanced Business application programming is coding for SAP systems..... language is simple but lots of concepts are thr and some are almost functional.....

SAP technical knowledge is of little important compared to actual experience unlike Java, you can get certified in ABAP (some 2-3 lakhs course )...but unless u have actaully worked on a real live projects it will be not very useful.....I have seen a certified guy not knowing what to do when he was given his first work and i had to complete it when he left it completely :mad:

But functional certification after some industry (Non IT) experience is good for someone looking to enter into SAP....

SAP Projects types

1) Implementation

2) Upgrade

3) Support

"SAP is like a radio with thousands of knobs, you should know how to tune it"

Installing a SAP on a system won't make much diff as you won't have any live data and you won't be able to enter any unless you have a dummy business process mapped..... and creating anything like that will be a feat itself.....

Java is supported in XI (exchange infrastructure) when you want to connect a SAP system with a non sap system....but java is not the main language here.....as XI systems are implemented by SAP consultants with less java knowledge they prefer to use ABAP only and simple Java programs .....

ronnie_gogs said:
OK since I have been working in SAP for 2 years now maybe I can give a some idea about SAP.....

SAP is everyone said is ERP package for business management to put in simple terms.....

Companies implement SAP based on their needs and requirements....

Various versions and types are available depending on company size and requirements

I have worked on SAP ECC 4.7 and 6.0.

Their are various modules in SAP which are implemented based on business needs

Few examples

1) MM : material management

2) SD : Sales and distribution

3) PS : Project systems

4) EP

5) FI : Finance

and so on.....

If someone says he knows every module in SAP in an interview he is plainly lying and he gets rejected then and there :bleh:

:rofl: :rofl: Very True: Forget all, even if one says he know more than two we look at him/her with serious suspision.

People are mostly domain experts and need to map a real business process in a SAP system.... so technical knowledge in SAP is maybe just 30% important....main is u should know the business process.....

I am an SAP technical consulatant now.... which is purely technical....although I am am slowly learning the functional aspects too now

ABAP - Advanced Business application programming is coding for SAP systems..... language is simple but lots of concepts are thr and some are almost functional.....

SAP technical knowledge is of little important compared to actual experience unlike Java, you can get certified in ABAP (some 2-3 lakhs course )...but unless u have actaully worked on a real live projects it will be not very useful.....I have seen a certified guy not knowing what to do when he was given his first work and i had to complete it when he left it completely :mad:

But functional certification after some industry (Non IT) experience is good for someone looking to enter into SAP....

SAP Projects types

1) Implementation

2) Upgrade

3) Support

"SAP is like a radio with thousands of knobs, you should know how to tune it"

Installing a SAP on a system won't make much diff as you won't have any live data and you won't be able to enter any unless you have a dummy business process mapped..... and creating anything like that will be a feat itself.....

Java is supported in XI (exchange infrastructure) when you want to connect a SAP system with a non sap system....but java is not the main language here.....as XI systems are implemented by SAP consultants with less java knowledge they prefer to use ABAP only and simple Java programs .....

Very well explained. Just a small correction the EP is not a func mod. Its SAP Enterprise Portal.

On a side note the OP can actually leverage his .Net experience by learning ABAP and mastering the BAPIs, or even the .Net SAP extention APIs. There is a good enough requirement of .Net+ABAP professionals. At least where i work.

[j/k]@Ronnie: How many functional areas do you know? :p [j/k]

sarang said:
Very well explained. Just a small correction the EP is not a func mod. Its SAP Enterprise Portal.

On a side note the OP can actually leverage his .Net experience by learning ABAP and mastering the BAPIs, or even the .Net SAP extention APIs. There is a good enough requirement of .Net+ABAP professionals. At least where i work.

[j/k]@Ronnie: How many functional areas do you know? :p [j/k]

@sarang ..... functional areas ... maybe 5% of SD and MM :bleh:

Shouldn't have mentioned EP :bleh:

EP guys stay client side mostly so rarely interact with them :ashamed:

To add to the technical SAP areas.... BI (Business Intelligence) is another one which basically data warehousing.....

Err is there some way to get functional knowledge of SAP?

Im doing CA and need to get into the basics of sap, i know its a long shot for you guys to even suggest anything, but lets just say, i need to check if the work done is correct or not and how the whole data flows..

hey me too for 2 years in sap. now want to move in BI. I had Siemens experience before so don't want to go for certification. Can you recommend anyone for this.
ronnie_gogs said:
@sarang ..... functional areas ... maybe 5% of SD and MM :bleh:

Shouldn't have mentioned EP :bleh:

EP guys stay client side mostly so rarely interact with them :ashamed:

To add to the technical SAP areas.... BI (Business Intelligence) is another one which basically data warehousing.....

Party Monger said:
Im doing CA and need to get into the basics of sap, i know its a long shot for you guys to even suggest anything, but lets just say, i need to check if the work done is correct or not and how the whole data flows..

Well CA are mostly good for FI (Finance)..... Even if you know zero ABAP it won't matter...
As far how to get into SAP I have to ask the FI guys here in office....

Party Monger said:

Good initiative you are considering.

Try reading this
Chartered Accountant and ERP; ERP/SAP Consultant and Supply Chain Consultant, Specialized on Pharmaceutical and High-Tech

and if sure about going for SAP then this

Siemens India - SAP Education & Training

I'd advise getting your CA degree first earning some moolah and then going for this course. Since very few would entertain a fresh CA even if he's SAP-FICO certified. In functional areas experience is foremost. Also the course + cert is fairly expensive at about 3L+

ronnie_gogs said:
Well CA are mostly good for FI (Finance)..... Even if you know zero ABAP it won't matter...
As far how to get into SAP I have to ask the FI guys here in office....
Sure mate please do get me some info!!Appreciate the help..
sarang said:
Good initiative you are considering.

Try reading this
Chartered Accountant and ERP; ERP/SAP Consultant and Supply Chain Consultant, Specialized on Pharmaceutical and High-Tech

and if sure about going for SAP then this

Siemens India - SAP Education & Training

I'd advise getting your CA degree first earning some moolah and then going for this course. Since very few would entertain a fresh CA even if he's SAP-FICO certified. In functional areas experience is foremost. Also the course + cert is fairly expensive at about 3L+
Will read the links at nite:)
Certification is the last thing i want:) have burnt my hand enough with niit..16 k down the drain:mad: First i'l try and get a basic understanding and knowledge and experience only then will i jump into certification..
Again thanks for the help, really appreciate it:)

one thing everyone forgot to mention
ITS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A JOB FOR A FRESHER.

unless ur willing for fake experience, which can be arranged by quite a few companies.

i did learn FICO, but couldn't get a job, finally had to give up!!

u can learn specific modules in trianing centeres,

functional modules pay more than technical.

but i reiterate, getting jobs is really really really difficult!

salluks said:
one thing everyone forgot to mention
ITS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A JOB FOR A FRESHER.

unless ur willing for fake experience, which can be arranged by quite a few companies.

i did learn FICO, but couldn't get a job, finally had to give up!!

u can learn specific modules in trianing centeres,

functional modules pay more than technical.

but i reiterate, getting jobs is really really really difficult!

True....but u shouldn't learn modules rather concentrate on a single module as getting expertise in even one is very difficult....

Guys with actual industry experience like inventory managament or marketing can get a SAP certification (costs around 3-4 lakhs) and enter smaller companies to get some implementation or support experience and then go to higher ground

But if you are lucky you can get allocated to ABAP as a fresher like me....:)

Build the technical knowledge and functional aspects .... get a MBA and get some actual industry experience in functional area....and finally become a techno functional

Back