Voltage Stabilization for entire home possible?

Well I too have voltage fluctuation issues in my home. During peak time( i.e 7pm to 10pm) voltage go as low as 140v-150v. So my ups would stay in battery mode in those time. Occasionally voltage fluctuates during daytime too but only for a second. So I bought one electronics voltage stabilizer 1.5 amps(working range -100v to 270v). This with apc 500va ups worked flawlessly with my old P4 system. One month back I upgraded my system (see my siggy). With load on my rig even for small fluctuation during daytime that last for a second, my rig freezes. I could hear my hdd stop spinning at that time. Then i tried my system with x2 550+no gpu+no monitor plugged to ups. The issue almost solved. But ocassionally hdd freezes. Could this issue anyway related to non sinewave ups+ active psu incompatibility issue. I know its high time for a ups upgrade. But I not sure that it will solve my issue. Also I never heard overload beeps from my ups. Some say it is because of relay circuits in ups that cause a cutoff in current for a nanosecond that causes hdd to freeze during those voltage fluctuations. Also my new rig has wierd problems working inverter battery. The hdd stops every few second continuosly, whereas my old rig worked fine. BTW my inverter is Whirlpool Elantra 800va sinewave ups coupled with a prestolite battery. Is it because of the active psu in new rig compared to the passive in old rig. I enquired the price of online ups and to be frank i cant afford some 15k for it. So shall i go forward to buy a microtek 1kva ups (working range - 135v-270v). My old stabilizer wont probably work with new rig. For now i need my rig to work flawlessly well during daytime. I could sacrifice computing during those peak time for the time being.
Can someone explain what the issue really is? about why inverter not working well? about why hdd stop spinning? Can servo stabilizer 1kva+ 1kva ups solve my issue for 24x7 computing? Please help

~Akshay

Bumping the old thread. I am facing severe power issue in chennai. The voltage drops a lot 120V sometimes. Just a week before I bought 4KVA V guard stabilizer for 4K. This double booster stabilizer can boost the voltage as low as 130V. Initially I thought our line wont go down as low as 130V hence bought the double boost. Many ppl are using A/C's in our area and when the neighbours compressor starts off I can see huge drop of 20V in our line. 150V will become 129V. The stabilizer works till 127V and boost till 193V anything below 130V is a sure sign of cutoff for 3 mins. I feel the double booster in my area is useless. I asked my neighbour what stabilizer he uses. He told me a local one with "triple pick-up" costed him 7k. Shall I go with servo based stabilizer or triple boost stabilizer.

Regards,
Vijay

I would rather use a cutout with voltages like that. Or a battery backup.

The point is that if you use a regulator with (say) 170v low input, when the voltage goes back to normal you will have something like 311 volts at the output before it switches to the correct step on the transformer. This is a very short duration - 10ms or so, so equipment should be able to take it without too many issues.

Now let's assume you are using a 2x step up, for a 120V input the regulator is going to have to double the voltage. So when it comes back to 220V, the output there will be 440V for the brief duration for switch to happen. Not sure how your equipment will deal with it.

Well i would suggest you go complain to the power company.They should have a power conditioner nearby or next to the transformer,tell them your situation and they would increase the voltage,but the problem might come in night when the load drops and you may experience high voltage.

A servo based stabilizer will ensure a correct user desired output voltage,but it won't operate in extreme low voltage or high voltage ,you have to see the specs of the product.

You have to remember this is Chennai. Traditionally among the worst power utilities in the country. I've never had as many power outages or voltage problems in my entire adult life, than in one year in Chennai.

There are many creative solutions that you come across living in that city. From three-phase changers (which the power utility solved by cutting power to all three phases simultaneously) to a setup with 15 car batteries so that the inverter could run ACs, I've seen it all.

If it hasn't been licked in a decade, not sure how complaining is going to help.

cranky said:
You have to remember this is Chennai. Traditionally among the worst power utilities in the country. I've never had as many power outages or voltage problems in my entire adult life, than in one year in Chennai.

There are many creative solutions that you come across living in that city. From three-phase changers (which the power utility solved by cutting power to all three phases simultaneously) to a setup with 15 car batteries so that the inverter could run ACs, I've seen it all.

If it hasn't been licked in a decade, not sure how complaining is going to help.
Quite true. This is Chennai!. For the past 6 months the area association has sent umpteen request for a transformer but still not done. Five years before we had stable power supply of 220V even at night in velachery. Our tubelights will serve 5~6 years. During that time in our entire street had got only 3 A/C machines. But now there is atleast 20~25 A/C is installed. A/C is refused to start with normal stabilizer. 3 years before when the voltage is around 170V my neighbour used double stabilizer. Subsequently everyone replaced free stabilizer to double boost. Now the voltage dropped to 130~150V double boost refused to work and now slowly getting replaced by triple boost. May be down in 3 years we may get quadra boost to operate from 60V :p . Pretty pathetic in summer heat when you operate table or ceiling fans with 150V to boot. In built triple booster on a fan is a not a far fetched dreaded reality or perhaps we can run US 120V appliance directly with a single booster :(

Can I run all devices (Microlab TMN-8 32W sound system, HP 22VX 28W monitor, Thermaltake H22 CPU case with 550W power supply) of my desktop from an 1000 VA/800W capacity voltage stabilizer throug a multiplug? Also can I charge a Li-Ion 3080 mAh battery smartphone at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Will 5KVA mainline stabilisers like https://www.microtekdirect.com/maineml5090 or http://www.vguard.in/product-details/vgmew-500 be able to work with a load of 2 ACs, water purifier, Fridge and a couple of fans / LED lights.
We have a lot of voltage fluctuations, specially during rainy season.
If voltage stabilisers are not feasible how about a voltage protector like https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B019QFDFQU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2BDEDK07PLVK6

What did you buy?
I'm having the same issue. Voltage jumps in from 250-260 and back to 240 within seconds. My UPS is going haywire. It's switching between battery and mains in seconds. So switched off the comp.

I have a voltage protector installed. It only kills the mains line if the voltage falls below or goes above a set threshold. It can't do anything if the voltage fluctuates like crazy. Only a CVT or a heavy duty stabilizer will work. And these units are just 65-70% efficient, so if you buy a 2KVa unit it will take load of around 1.5KVa. plus bill will increase a few hundred too.

State run power companies are so bad here, people working in them don't even know (or care) how to maintain the system.

@kreacher @6pack
You need a servo stabilizer. These are large in size and you can connect one to your mains. The output voltage is maintained at a constant value. Costly & large.
Rating would depend on yourloads - present & anticipated. Add the loads, add some buffer, get a good idea about the capacity needed. Google for the price.

@kreacher @6pack
You need a servo stabilizer. These are large in size and you can connect one to your mains. The output voltage is maintained at a constant value. Costly & large.
Rating would depend on yourloads - present & anticipated. Add the loads, add some buffer, get a good idea about the capacity needed. Google for the price.

I think my usage is less than 1200W at all times including refrigerator. So keeping big buffer, max I will need is 2KVA. Price on Indiamart for 1 unit is 5k-7k and on Amazon its like 16k for 2kva. Whats the difference in prices for?

Edit: scratch that. found some sellers selling 2kva at 7/8k and same seller is selling 4kva at 8k. weird.

Last edited:
What did you buy?
I'm having the same issue. Voltage jumps in from 250-260 and back to 240 within seconds. My UPS is going haywire. It's switching between battery and mains in seconds. So switched off the comp.

I have a voltage protector installed. It only kills the mains line if the voltage falls below or goes above a set threshold. It can't do anything if the voltage fluctuates like crazy. Only a CVT or a heavy duty stabilizer will work. And these units are just 65-70% efficient, so if you buy a 2KVa unit it will take load of around 1.5KVa. plus bill will increase a few hundred too.

State run power companies are so bad here, people working in them don't even know (or care) how to maintain the system.
Haven't bought one yet. Not sure about India Mart, will see what's available on Amazon and locally.

Back