VLC with Chromecast support

v 3.0 of VLC now supports casting to Chromecast from Windows and Ubuntu.I tried casting from Windows 10. Using .mp4 and .mkv files, TV showed loading dialog for sometime and then switched to cast icon. Those files did not play on TV at all.

Keeping the cast option active, I tried tinkering with VLC GUI, it said that " This file needs conversion and might drain the battery of your device. Do you want to continue ? " . This happened with both mkv and mp4. Even when I allowed conversion, nothing happened and cast icon remained on TV.

Does anyone know the supported formats that can be cast ?[DOUBLEPOST=1518237793][/DOUBLEPOST]No luck with an avi files as well. Plays well on PC

vlc cast.jpg

Nothing happens even if you click OK.[DOUBLEPOST=1518244908][/DOUBLEPOST]v 3.0 is very buggy. No sign of resume video from where left, subtitle downloading does not work at all etc

Last edited:
Tried casting in VLC for Android. They have mentioned it is in beta stage. The video plays well for me. Only drawback I see is that horizontal videos are auto tilted and played tilted. ie, if you captured keeping phone normally, you will have to turn you neck to watch the tilted video on TV.

VLsub, the subtitle downloader for VLC 3 is causing VLC to crash when we try to download a subtitle. The subtitle gets downloaded most of the time though.

Technically, I am a n00b, but you dont need this fancy stuff, to do needful.
Except, having exclusive content from these providers.

Back