Budget 21-30k VFM Hackintosh

Party Monger

Skilled
Need to build 2 hackintosh in the coming months for basic purposes of Web development, photo editing etc.

Everything will be new, except that I have a spare 120gb ssd.

Important things -
1) SSD only
2) Smaller form factors preffered
3) Wireless kb/mouse.
4) Easy installation (well as easy as possible.
5) Budget doesnt include monitor as that's kind of pretty standard like HDMIports, 22inch and will probably go with HP monitors
5) As close to 20k as possible.

Processor - Pentiums or i3?
Mobo - Cheapest supported that doesnt block any features. With Lan, HDMI and USB3
Case - Smallest possible, along with a mobo in same formfactor (supported by osx.)
PSU - most VFM on the cheaper side.

Need this for ancillary work in office. For rendering etc i have an i7 hackintosh.

Processor Intel i3 8.2k
Motherboard Gigabyte 5k
Ram 8 gb 2.8k
Hard disk 120 GB 3k
Case 2k
Kb/mouse 1k
PSU 2k

Total - 24k

Any suggestions to lower the price and specific models?
Getting a case with a PSU inbuilt would lower costs and also maybe getting a Pentium Processor. I hear they are really good lately.

Last edited:
I have been planning for the same lately with dual monitor setup. From the list of tonymac's compatible mobo. Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Intel Z97 is available on Amazon and FK .
Simple rule is if u go with his list of components you will have trouble free hackintosh. Other mobos are supported with few here and there tweaks but u must have patience and time.

So according to tonymac Intel 4th and 5th Generation CPUs + 9 Series motherboard value for money. but is it really worth to buy old hardware now ?

I think Kabylake will be out in a month or two. Could be worth waiting. Assuming its the same mobo platform (and mobos) it should just be a matter of CPU support and onboard intel graphics compatibility. If Apple launches any new hardware with it, that should also come very soon.

Another factor is OSX Seirra, should be coming mainstream in a month.

As far as prices are concerned. New hardware will cost around the same. Intel's SKU's of same sub brand maintain their price irrespective of the generation. Like the price difference between 4-5-6 gens will max be 1k for i3 processors.

Saw a really good option that has full desktop PC yet small size closer to NUC

ASROCK DESKMINI 110
http://www.primeabgb.com/online-pri...3-6100-cpu-kingston-240gb-ssd-gskill-8gb-ram/

Cost - ₹26,499

Comes with -
Asrock DeskMini 110 – Without Wifi
Intel® Core™ i3-6100 3.70 GHZ Processor
Kingston UV400 240GB SSD
GSkill Ripjaws SO-DIMM F3-1600C11S-8GRSL 8GB RAM

Thats are really good deal considering a full desktop with same specs costs around 25k. This one is small! You can put in any CPU upto i7. Because its a full desktop PC with its stock desktop fan, the performance is much better than the NUCs. Only problem is that its available only as a bundle and only on PrimeABGB.

Also it seems people have successfully hackintoshed it! -

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/beautiful-mb-asrock-h110m-stx-for-macmini.198689/page-3
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asrock-deskmini-110-issues.200939/

Reviews -

[DOUBLEPOST=1474299845][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ps: hackintosh is not stable. So be careful. Always take backup.
Typing this from a Hackintosh on Yosemite. Very stable, including sleep and stuff. Using for a year now.

Last edited:
BUMP. Looking for this now. Hoping to get one soon. Mostly Skylake and Kabylake processors are not

Config currently thinking of - i5 4th gen used or an i3 new.
Cheapest compatible Mobo with hdmi.

Any other options? The pentium-g4560 seems like a great buy at 4.5k. But not supported by hackintosh

As per this thread Kaby lake with hd630 is working with hackintosh, albiet a lot of headache and id faking -> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.211743/
I figure its only a matter of time till they have full support. March guide could have Kabylake components. Seeing the price difference betweek 7100 and 6100 is 500ish, im inclined towards 7100.

Now what Motherboards would be a good fit? Obviously need dd4. Would H110 mobos work or new 200 series mobos? Anything cost effective? (I know update bios etc. Latest production ones should be updates afaik)

Im looking at this mobo right now for around 4.8k - > http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H110M-S2PH-rev-10#ov
Are they compatible? (This mobo, i3 7100, DDR4 ram in windows atleast ?)

OP should go with Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H @ 7k

If OP goes with H110M then he needs to update the BIOS before hand but also H110M is low cost Mobo as it is not at all suited for technologies like Intel Optane which can be used only with Kabylake Processor + B250M Mobo.

It gives more future proof.

OP should go with Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H @ 7k

If OP goes with H110M then he needs to update the BIOS before hand but also H110M is low cost Mobo as it is not at all suited for technologies like Intel Optane which can be used only with Kabylake Processor + B250M Mobo.

It gives more future proof.
From what I (the OP) read, the mobos manufactured in last two months will be updated by themselves. Will confirm before buying. I dont need Optane technology. If the hackintosh can run smooth, that'll be a lot :D

PS any case and PSU suggestions to keep cost minimum.

From what I (the OP) read, the mobos manufactured in last two months will be updated by themselves. Will confirm before buying. I dont need Optane technology. If the hackintosh can run smooth, that'll be a lot :D

PS any case and PSU suggestions to keep cost minimum.
Your budget for the case and the PSU.

Back