• Change the Router

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Very slow RDP on WiFi

1. System configuration
a. Router: TD-W8968
b. Client/PC: TL-WN725N
c. Client/Laptop: TL-WN725N

2. Router is placed just across the room, however when trying to RDP from the Laptop to the PC it is very slow, Internet works fine, the problem is with RDP, there are random disconnects sometimes, overall the experience is frustrating, looking into what aspects can be changed. WiFi signal does not seem to be an issue as it shows as excellent in WiFi properties for both PC and Laptop

3. Options:-
i. The USB adapter is 150 mbps one, should I replace it with 300 mbps one
ii. Change the USB adapter to a PCIE one
iii. Change the Router to Archer D20 AC750

Note: I cannot use LAN cable as much as I would want to due to router placement as currently using MTNL connection.

@tommy_vercetti On your router settings, try (un-intuitive) setting change the wifi bandwidth to just 20 mhz if it is on "auto" or "40 mhz", I believe 40 mhz might be more susceptible to interference.

If you were on 40 mhz before, your PC/Laptop might show wifi-N link speed in the status/details dialog box as 150 mbps, changing to 20 mhz will bring it down to 72.2 mbps but see if it helps your RDP situation?

Actually it was more pathetic on 20, so I then changed it to 20-40, it seemed a little better, but still the feels like a struggle, clicks not registered quickly and lot of lag.

Are you doing "high bandwidth" stuff like gaming or trying to watch videos over RDP??? If not, then you could try connecting at lower colour depth (bit rate) say 16bit or even 8bit?

Do a diagnosis taking one variable out at a time

1. Do a LAN to LAN check. Works? Then the desktop is not to blame, nor is the laptop.
2. Do a WLAN to LAN check. Issues? Router/WiFi issue.
3. Check ping and speeds between the devices.
4. Check for interference.

Got some time to further work on this

1. LAN to LAN using wired connection works great
2. WLAN to WLAN is very slow
3. Ping and speed seems to ok
4 Changed the Wireless chanel to 9 as lot of people on 11/5 which I was using
5. Changed TL-WN725N with TL-WN823N which is a 300 mbps one

After changing the adapter it is working pretty good.

Back