Graphic Cards Very confused between GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB. Need advice

i_rock098

Adept
Hello kind folks of techenclave, I need your help in deciding which GPU I should get next. I am very confused in that regards and any help for the same would be much appreciated. Before starting let me list out my complete specs.

I5 2400

MSI H67MA-E35

8GB DDR3

Sapphire R9 270x 2G

Corsair CX 500

So as you can see I am thinking of upgrading my R9 270x to something better. I am a bit confused on what to get. I have a rough budget of around 19k

At this budget I am very confused on which card to get. From the research that I have done i have 6 options. RX 470 4GB/8GB, RX 480 4GB/8GB, GTX 1060 3GB/6GB. Lets look at the one by one

RX 470

I am not particularly inclined to get AMD cards this time around especially since AMD is way way overpriced at the moment. Plus this would be the weakest card in contention here.

MSI GRAPHICS CARD RX 470 4GB DDR5 ARMOR OC 4GB is at 17k while 8GB is at 20k

Both are not value for money at all and this is the cheapest version of these cards available.

RX 480

The story is the same here too except that 4GB cards are not available at all.

HIS GRAPHICS CARD RX 480 ICEQ X2 8GB DDR5 OC at 23k is the cheapest 480 available and this too is not value for money in my opinion.

Coming to the ones I am really considering.

GTX 1060

The nvidia cards are priced much better compared to AMD. Now the biggest issue here is whether to go for the 3GB one or the 6GB one. If i am correct the 6gb one is 5-10% faster then the 3gb one but the price difference on average is about 5k+. My biggest problem is whether that 10% increase in performance is worth the 5k+difference. My mind kind of says no. But i am worried will I be able to run the card for the next 3 years on the 3gb model. I am looking at 1080p gaming at 60fps, i don't mind dialling down the graphics settings for that.

The next question arises which model of the gtx 1060 to buy. Would you recommend going for lesser known brands like GALAX,GAINWARD, PALIT which are around 2-4k cheaper then the more known ones like MSI,Zotac,Gigabyte,ASUS. Are GALAX,GAINWARD, PALIT as reliable as the other ones?

GALAX GeForce® GTX 1060 EX OC 3GB – 17k the most bang for buck what do you guys think?

GALAX GeForce® GTX 1060 EX OC 6GB- 22k

Zotac GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 AMP EDITION- 24k

So what do you guys think what should I get. I am really inclined towards the GALAX 3GB one, but that 3GB makes me fear if I can survive 3 years on it after which i also plan to upgrade my CPU. Also would my current CPU be fine to run these cards?

Also who handles the RMA for GALAX,GAINWARD and PALIT in India?

Thank you so much for your time.

RX 470 over 1060 3GB any day. Performance in 2016 dx 11 games is almost similar and in dx12 games, the 3gb 1060 gets stomped. RX470 will only get better when vulkan or dx12 gets used more. In Doom, the Rx 470 beats even the 6GB 1060 dead. Will be similar in future void engine games from Bethesda.

3GB frame buffer in this day and age is a dead on arrival for any card.

regarding amd and nvidia
IF you will upgrade in the future go for RX480 thanks to waterblocks and crossfire 1060 cant rival it at all.
BUT
if u will stick with a single gpu go for 1060 and 3gb 1060 is pointless

RX 470 over 1060 3GB any day. Performance in 2016 dx 11 games is almost similar and in dx12 games, the 3gb 1060 gets stomped. RX470 will only get better when vulkan or dx12 gets used more. In Doom, the Rx 470 beats even the 6GB 1060 dead. Will be similar in future void engine games from Bethesda.

3GB frame buffer in this day and age is a dead on arrival for any card.

But isint the AMD card very overpriced here? The rx 470 4gb should have bee around 14k not the 17k it is selling right now. Plus the 8gb of the 470 makes so sense since in like 2k more you can get a 8gb 480 or 6gb 1060

regarding amd and nvidia

IF you will upgrade in the future go for RX480 thanks to waterblocks and crossfire 1060 cant rival it at all.

BUT

if u will stick with a single gpu go for 1060 and 3gb 1060 is pointless

My motherboard does not have a slot for a second card nither am i a fan of dual card setup, i much prefer sticking to a single card.

The vidoes on youtube say that the 3gb is only like 5% less in performance,

Is is still worth in spending the 5k more to get a 6gb one?

Is is still worth in spending the 5k more to get a 6gb one?[/QUOTE]

1080p n below then no
anything above then ofc yes

but mind it that 5% will become 15% in 3 years as textures increase in resolution

also rx480 still has the advantage of waterblocks,and 4gb is still better so if you can find one for the price of 3gb 1060 then go for it

1080p n below then no
anything above then ofc yes

but mind it that 5% will become 15% in 3 years as textures increase in resolution

also rx480 still has the advantage of waterblocks,and 4gb is still better so if you can find one for the price of 3gb 1060 then go for it[/QUOTE]

I would be strictly gaming at only 1080p never above it.

I actually have been team AMD all along but they really dropped the ball with the pricing in India this time. Absolutely crazy pricing.

I actually tried finding the 4gb Rx 480 a lot but I can't seem to find it anywhere at all. Not even the local stores have it.

But isint the AMD card very overpriced here? The rx 470 4gb should have bee around 14k not the 17k it is selling right now. Plus the 8gb of the 470 makes so sense since in like 2k more you can get a 8gb 480 or 6gb 1060

The marginal utility of a product is based on whether the price is reasonable compared to competition. I say the rx 470 is priced fairly at 16k for what it offers.

The 3GB card dies at 2560 and in future, it will be the same at 1080p. Unless you wish to upgrade the GPU in a year, its just not worth it.

Do you like to mod your games? If no then at 1080p only 2gb is enough for most of the games. There should not be any problem. However If you plan to mod your games then you should know that many mods does demands a bit more of vram. Thus 3gb may not be enough for modding. These companies do business if they have launched a product with 3gb Vram then there must be a reason. They are not fools by any means (they make others fool). If you are okay with vanilla games & would never mod then by all means go for 3gb version which is certainly the best bet. Also you can do your own research too.
Now RX470 & 480 both are good too. The only thing is they require more power. About vulcan thing don't worry nobody knows the future. Just go with what you like.

Last edited:
GALAX GeForce® GTX 1060 EX OC 3GB – 17k the most bang for buck what do you guys think?

yes, amd cards seem to have a higher mark-up than nvidia's in India, however,
if the 1060 3gb and rx 470 4gb are going for the same price then i'd go with the rx 470.

also, it would help if you could list the type of games you plan/like to play.

So what do you guys think what should I get. I am really inclined towards the GALAX 3GB one, but that 3GB makes me fear if I can survive 3 years on it after which i also plan to upgrade my CPU. Also would my current CPU be fine to run these cards?

tbh, the amount of vram doesn't affect a gpu's gaming lifespan as much as the gpu itself. a faster chip will usually outlast one with more memory.
yes, your i5 2400 will be fine. sandy bridge still performs well and having more than 4 cores/threads doesn't seem to provide that big a bump in performance.

Hello kind folks of techenclave, I need your help in deciding which GPU I should get next. I am very confused in that regards and any help for the same would be much appreciated. Before starting let me list out my complete specs.

I5 2400

MSI H67MA-E35

8GB DDR3

Sapphire R9 270x 2G

Corsair CX 500

So as you can see I am thinking of upgrading my R9 270x to something better. I am a bit confused on what to get. I have a rough budget of around 19k

At this budget I am very confused on which card to get. From the research that I have done i have 6 options. RX 470 4GB/8GB, RX 480 4GB/8GB, GTX 1060 3GB/6GB. Lets look at the one by one

RX 470

I am not particularly inclined to get AMD cards this time around especially since AMD is way way overpriced at the moment. Plus this would be the weakest card in contention here.

Both are not value for money at all and this is the cheapest version of these cards available.

RX 480

The story is the same here too except that 4GB cards are not available at all.

HIS GRAPHICS CARD RX 480 ICEQ X2 8GB DDR5 OC at 23k is the cheapest 480 available and this too is not value for money in my opinion.

Coming to the ones I am really considering.

GTX 1060

The nvidia cards are priced much better compared to AMD. Now the biggest issue here is whether to go for the 3GB one or the 6GB one. If i am correct the 6gb one is 5-10% faster then the 3gb one but the price difference on average is about 5k+. My biggest problem is whether that 10% increase in performance is worth the 5k+difference. My mind kind of says no. But i am worried will I be able to run the card for the next 3 years on the 3gb model. I am looking at 1080p gaming at 60fps, i don't mind dialling down the graphics settings for that.

The next question arises which model of the gtx 1060 to buy. Would you recommend going for lesser known brands like GALAX,GAINWARD, PALIT which are around 2-4k cheaper then the more known ones like MSI,Zotac,Gigabyte,ASUS. Are GALAX,GAINWARD, PALIT as reliable as the other ones?

GALAX GeForce® GTX 1060 EX OC 6GB- 22k

Zotac GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 AMP EDITION- 24k

Also who handles the RMA for GALAX,GAINWARD and PALIT in India?

Thank you so much for your time.

yes your cpu will bottleneck but just a little bit but that is completely okay as there is always a bottleneck in a system whether cpu or gpu ..... there will be just 4-5 fps more if you had something like latest i5 6400.

gtx 1060 3GB is the best value for money right now ....... yes 3gb vram is less no doubt about it, if you play latest games like just after they have released then u might see performance drop from 5% to 10/15% after 2 years or so at 1080p ...... but considering the cost is quite high of newly released games, u might stick with older games or multiplayer games so you will be okay for 3.5-4 years with 3gb vram ......

i would recommend check rx480 4GB on .....

mdcomputers.in
primeabgb.com
itdepot.com

if you can find for 19-20k but if you cannot then get gtx 1060 3GB.

tbh, the amount of vram doesn't affect a gpu's gaming lifespan as much as the gpu itself. a faster chip will usually outlast one with more memory.
yes, your i5 2400 will be fine. sandy bridge still performs well and having more than 4 cores/threads doesn't seem to provide that big a bump in performance.

Agreed but the GTX1060 3GB card throttles itself down in performance in V-RAM intensive scenario.

Case in point, here,
I would look to get a RX480 4GB if possible. Although availability is a big bug bear as of now.

If you are going for a GTX1060, go for the 6GB variant, the cut-down 3GB rev makes no sense to me unless you are okay with depreciated performance on V-RAM intensive titles out of the box.

Get any AMD RX 470 4GB or RX 480 8GB.

I prefer HIS RX 470 4GB or HIS RX 480 8GB because of more power phases and better VRM cooling compared to other OEMs.

HIS is dealt by savera.co.in in India. It has several branches in all cities, so no problem as for as RMA is concerned.

Regarding fps in games are concerned AMD GPUs are giving good fps in DirectX 12 games rather nvidia giving presently good fps in DirectX 11 games.

AMD GPUs support both Async Compute and Vulkan on hardware level where as nvidia supports only Vulkan through its software.

So AMD GPUs age well now than nvidia.

My motherboard does not have a slot for a second card nither am i a fan of dual card setup, i much prefer sticking to a single card.

Dont take GTA5 into consideration for the latest gen GPUs.

Even my GTX950 gives 60+ fps in GTA5 buddy.

GTA5 does not tax the GPU very much. It is coded or programmed that way.

Take the latest games using present Game engines like Doom, Battlefield 1 and Infinite warfare.

Ashes of Singularity is a DirectX 12 based title but uses or taxes the processor more than the GPU.

In this title AMD GPUs win or thrash nvidia GPUs.

My main system has a 2560x1440 Asus PA279q connected to a GTX 1080. However the machine I am playing most games these days is a small form factor machine running an rx470 with an LG 23MP68 display that supports 40-75 Hz free sync range. I overclocked it to 30-80 range and with that, this setup is simply way smoother and more responsive to play games on thanks to the cheap free sync monitor. The final experience is way superior to the 1080 rig if you play twitch shooters as there is zero input lag.

My main system has a 2560x1440 Asus PA279q connected to a GTX 1080. However the machine I am playing most games these days is a small form factor machine running an rx470 with an LG 23MP68 display that supports 40-75 Hz free sync range. I overclocked it to 30-80 range and with that, this setup is simply way smoother and more responsive to play games on thanks to the cheap free sync monitor. The final experience is way superior to the 1080 rig if you play twitch shooters as there is zero input lag.
I gotta stop reading testimonials from Adaptive Sync users.

As someone who is extremely sensitive to inconsistent frame 'timings', this tech is a Godsend.
Nothing other than 60fps @ 60hz v-sync'ed feels right to me. 58fps @ 60hz is janky and so is 100fps @ 60hz (even if there is no screen tearing).

Wish Nvidia weren't so greedy with G-Sync...

Savera (Distributors for HIS GPUs in India)

HIS RX 480 8GB ICEQ X2 Roaring Turbo - 21,900+VAT

HIS RX 470 8GB ICEQ X2 Roaring Turbo - N/A

HIS RX 470 4GB ICEQ X2 Roaring Turbo- 16,650+VAT

HIS RX 460 4GB ICEQ X2 - 10,200+VAT

VAT is 5%

Back