Adept
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy an all in one printer, please find more details below:

1. Occasional printing
2. Scanner
3. Monochrome is fine.
4. Preferably cloud ready / Ethernet connection / wifi connection
5. Available online on fk or amazon.

Kindly suggest if there are any that fall under this criteria.

Canon for great print quality.
Ricoh for dirt cheap rates.
Epson for VFM package.

Note if Monochrome you can go Ricoh as they have laser printing with ₹300 Refilling cost and upto 2000 pages

But you have to sacrifice Wifi as they are only ethernet compatible.

Canon for great print quality.
Ricoh for dirt cheap rates.
Epson for VFM package.

Note if Monochrome you can go Ricoh as they have laser printing with ₹300 Refilling cost and upto 2000 pages

But you have to sacrifice Wifi as they are only ethernet compatible.

Given that it'll be light / occasional printing only, I don't mind settling any brand.

Questions - Is any of it cloud compatible? Can I print things from my phone when I'm connected to the same wifi / network (and when I'm away elsewhere, when the printer is hooked up to the router?)

Given that it'll be light / occasional printing only, I don't mind settling any brand.

Questions - Is any of it cloud compatible? Can I print things from my phone when I'm connected to the same wifi / network (and when I'm away elsewhere, when the printer is hooked up to the router?)
Nope not Ricoh.

Ricoh is only Ethernet capable but it's only laser printing @ ₹5k.
You can hook up a printserver or RPI2

You have two options. Do it yourself or get a ready to use off the shelf device.

From the market - one of the devices I am going to evaluate is HP 226dw. Uses HP88A cartridge, so not much of an issue. Has wireless and wired printing and scanning, minus the cloud printing. Costs about 26K

DIY - Use a RPi. Setup as a print server and SANE backend for scanning. Ensure you have a SANE supported scanner - example of the same is Canon LiDe 110 (being sold by some user on TE) and printer of your choice - I would prefer the HP 1020 or any printer with 12A cartridge.

You have two options. Do it yourself or get a ready to use off the shelf device.

From the market - one of the devices I am going to evaluate is HP 226dw. Uses HP88A cartridge, so not much of an issue. Has wireless and wired printing and scanning, minus the cloud printing. Costs about 26K

DIY - Use a RPi. Setup as a print server and SANE backend for scanning. Ensure you have a SANE supported scanner - example of the same is Canon LiDe 110 (being sold by some user on TE) and printer of your choice - I would prefer the HP 1020 or any printer with 12A cartridge.

It's a sheer waste of money for me to invest so much on a printer, unfortunately. Hence i'm looking for more tech gyan and researching in the little time I have.

The DYI part - From what I understand, Printer gets connected to the Ri and Ri connects to the internet and is available all the time right? So I hook my phone to the Ri (no idea how) And can print?

Since you will be printing occasionally you can also go with Hp ink advantage 3545e or 2545.Both support wifi and uses 678 catridge which prints around 400 pages.I am using 3545e so i had no issue with that catridge.

It's a sheer waste of money for me to invest so much on a printer, unfortunately. Hence i'm looking for more tech gyan and researching in the little time I have.

The DYI part - From what I understand, Printer gets connected to the Ri and Ri connects to the internet and is available all the time right? So I hook my phone to the Ri (no idea how) And can print?

I dont recommend inkjets because if you have low usage, the cartridges may get clogged, and if you have high usage, it may be expensive.

DIY part - the RPi works as a server, it does both print and scan duties - all the time. Even from Internet. As for printing, all you need is to hook your phone to the same WiFi network as the RPi for direct printing, and for cloud printing, it should be connected from internet.

Where can I find a decent deal for the Raspberry? I'd like to try that diy approach as I could use the Ri for other things as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1436287495][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I believe I need to look for a printer that has driver support for Linux if I need it to play good with Ras, right?

Last edited:
@koolcoolkg does your scanner work when the toner runs out?

inkjets have a nasty way of making money. i had a couple of them in the past and i noticed that the scanner stops working if one of the ink-tanks dries up. what's the story with laser MFPs?

That's a USB printer, you said ethernet in your earlier post that i quoted. which model# has the ethenet ?
Ethernet as in I was referring that there's no Cloud or Wifi connectivity.

It's only conventional use.

Regarding Paper Jamming;it's a myth.
The technician explained that it happens when papers stick to each other.
Before loading just check that they are duly segregated.

After buying within 2 hours technician came and set it up.Gave all instructions.

300₹ is the refill cost of toner.

Dude never tried scanning when toner was removed.

2500 pages a toner and refill cost is 300 pretty VFM.

Dude never tried scanning when toner was removed.

2500 pages a toner and refill cost is 300 pretty VFM.
that's right... you wouldn't think twice before buying a refill. but i was thinking of getting a high-end Ricoh MFP but dropped the plan. now i'll get 2 different machines - better to reduce the dependency.

@blueren sorry for hijacking your thread :p

Just get a brother printer if you want a black and white one. The printer is so user friendly and hasslefree I feel like buying one just for the heck of it.

Back