Android Urgent help with Moto G5+ USB port service

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
My G5+ USB port has become faulty and charging is such a pain.
I went to the service center here and they told me it will cost me 1200rs. Is this legit? There are some other ugly things involved with the service center but I'd rather not share them (I'm in touch with Moto support).
If anyone has experience with this or know of any Moto authorized services nearby could you please go and ask about this? I want to know if the amount they are asking for is legit and if there is any chance of screen breakage issue for the repair to be done. And also if they will need to format the phone (I highly doubt it but they are insisting on it).

Thanks a ton.

It had to happen just after the warranty expired (a month ago.) Ugh

Last i remember local guys charged 2-300 bucks to replace a usb port. but this depends on the phone construction and how easy it is to open. unibodys can be tricky. g5 should'nt be an issue. fcuk da service center.

My G5+ USB port has become faulty and charging is such a pain.
I went to the service center here and they told me it will cost me 1200rs. Is this legit? There are some other ugly things involved with the service center but I'd rather not share them (I'm in touch with Moto support).
If anyone has experience with this or know of any Moto authorized services nearby could you please go and ask about this? I want to know if the amount they are asking for is legit and if there is any chance of screen breakage issue for the repair to be done. And also if they will need to format the phone (I highly doubt it but they are insisting on it).

Thanks a ton.

It had to happen just after the warranty expired (a month ago.) Ugh
Authentic quote you can get is thru motoroal customer support email unless they display charges for spare parts like Mi

as for format, just remove all your pics and then remove the fingerprint and give them. they just want an unlock phone to test the phone after repairs.

Moto customer service mail told me the rate depends on a number of factors. They are not being very specific.
The mail also confirmed that the phone needs to be formatted before given to customer. Damn.
Last i remember local guys charged 2-300 bucks to replace a usb port. but this depends on the phone construction and how easy it is to open. unibodys can be tricky. g5 should'nt be an issue. fcuk da service center.
I feel 1200rs is way too much just for a USB port. It's not even a premium phone model.
Anyway its out of warranty so I'll see if I can find any other local service guys who can do it without giving me much headache.

Authentic quote you can get is thru motoroal customer support email unless they display charges for spare parts like Mi
I forgot to mention that a Redmi 5A which I bought some weeks ago had touch problem (the back key) right out of the box. I feel like I'm being cursed. The store didn't want to replace the phone and service center is telling me to bring it to them. This service center btw is the same one handling Moto service. Apparently the company handles both aftersales.

Get it done locally.
Yes, currently looking for one. Hope I find it.
Any idea if spares will be available online? Plan C is to buy the spare and do it myself.

I forgot to mention that a Redmi 5A which I bought some weeks ago had touch problem (the back key) right out of the box. I feel like I'm being cursed. The store didn't want to replace the phone and service center is telling me to bring it to them. This service center btw is the same one handling Moto service. Apparently the company handles both aftersales.

Any idea if spares will be available online? Plan C is to buy the spare and do it myself.

Yes, the spares will be available, but I doubt you can do it yourself.

Doesn't your city have dedicated Mi stores?

Update: I tried multiple USB charger cables. My original USB cable no longer works with my phone but works on other phones without any problem. Another third-party cable which used to work when I nudged the USB tip a little to the top no longer works (since today). Another third-party standard non-Turbo charger which has a longer USB area works fine but is slow. And now I'm using a Redmi charger.
So what do you guys think?

Yes, the spares will be available, but I doubt you can do it yourself.
I watched some videos. The USB port is soldered to the motherboard. That will be too risky for me so I will give it to a local repair shop lol.
Doesn't your city have dedicated Mi stores?
No. Only third-party multi-brand stores.

Update: I tried multiple USB charger cables. My original USB cable no longer works with my phone but works on other phones without any problem. Another third-party cable which used to work when I nudged the USB tip a little to the top no longer works (since today). Another third-party standard non-Turbo charger which has a longer USB area works fine but is slow. And now I'm using a Redmi charger.
So what do you guys think?

I watched some videos. The USB port is soldered to the motherboard. That will be too risky for me so I will give it to a local repair shop lol.

No. Only third-party multi-brand stores.

Do that. Ask around, and the price should not be too high either.

I've had people ask me this same question about a certain cable not working with a certain phone but with other phones. And other cables working with that phone. I think it has to do with wear of the contacts. The pins of the cable touch the contacts on the usb port at a very specific point. After it wears out the plating on the port it will no longer conduct. However, when used on a different port (phone) the contacts are not worn out and that cable will work perfectly. Also, using a different cable helps because it's not touching the contacts in the worn out regions but in a slightly different position.

I've had people ask me this same question about a certain cable not working with a certain phone but with other phones. And other cables working with that phone. I think it has to do with wear of the contacts. The pins of the cable touch the contacts on the usb port at a very specific point. After it wears out the plating on the port it will no longer conduct. However, when used on a different port (phone) the contacts are not worn out and that cable will work perfectly. Also, using a different cable helps because it's not touching the contacts in the worn out regions but in a slightly different position.
So basically mine is not an isolated incident?
Also when you said "worn out" do you mean the cable pin or the phone USB port or could it be both? If it's just the cable then I could simply buy a new one (in fact I've already ordered it) but if it's the USB port on the phone then it becomes a little complicated...

So basically mine is not an isolated incident?
Also when you said "worn out" do you mean the cable pin or the phone USB port or could it be both? If it's just the cable then I could simply buy a new one (in fact I've already ordered it) but if it's the USB port on the phone then it becomes a little complicated...

I mean the flat gold-plated contact on the phone usb port. In any case, if it's the port, even with a new cable it will only last for so long.

Back