Hi,

my config is as below:

CPU: i5 4460
GPU: Asus strix Gtx 960 4GB
Ram: Corsair vengeance 8gb
SMPS: AntecVP500PC
Mobo: gigabyte B85M-Ds3h-A
SSD: Kingston 120gb

I have a zebronics 600va UPS and I also have inverter. The problem is whenever theres a power cut, the inverter takes a sec to turn on and in the second, the UPS is turning off thereby effectively turning off the pc. If I turn on the UPS again, it turns on and my pc works fine.

So What may be the problem here? Isn't 600va ups sufficient for my system or should I just replace the battery in UPS or got a new UPS (maybe 1KV one?)

600VA is like 300W of load. Check what load the computer is drawing. If the UPS battery is more than 2 years old then it might have gone bad and needs to be replaced. Try running a 40W bulb on it for 10 minutes or so.

No im sure the battery is gone. Thing is battery coinks off every year, I replace the battery, UPS works fine (ie it supports the pc during the million second delay the inverter takes to power) and gradually it goes down and then this occurs.

Will my problems be solved by using a 1kv UPS? also how to check the power draw of pc?

your problem will be solved by using new battery. if the current ups does not show overload with your current system, then just changing the battery should help.

If you really want to buy 1KVA ups, then you will be spending on 2 batteries there. 1KVA ups have 2 of the 7AH batteries inside them and can take loads of 650W or so.

To check load, you will need to know how much amps the computer takes from switch board using a clamp meter around the live wire. If it takes 2Amps and voltage is 230V then the load is 2 x 230 = 460W.

also how to check the power draw of pc?
You will have to use a watt meter or a clamp meter that can measure true RMS. The former is cheaper.

https://www.amazon.in/HTC-Instrument-PM-03-Metering-Monitor/dp/B0140T7SG0

This one has a chinese plug at the end so use with one of those world socket power strips.

There are cheaper power meters available but they don't do true RMS. You need true RMS because your UPS isn't pure sine wave.

The one below is cheaper and has an Indian plug at the back. It does TRMS too.

https://www.amazon.in/Meco-Metering-Monitor-Digital-Voltage/dp/B07D2DFBJJ

If your UPS has any monitoring software like APC it will tell you without anything extra.

Last edited:
No im sure the battery is gone. Thing is battery coinks off every year, I replace the battery, UPS works fine (ie it supports the pc during the million second delay the inverter takes to power) and gradually it goes down and then this occurs.

Will my problems be solved by using a 1kv UPS? also how to check the power draw of pc?

How much does a 1kva ups cost? and what's the battery capacity?

I looked for a reasonably priced one but didn't find anything in pure sine wave. Ended up getting a home inverter (microtek hb725) and a battery and using that as a ups. Space is the only issue here.

How much does a 1kva ups cost? and what's the battery capacity?

I looked for a reasonably priced one but didn't find anything in pure sine wave. Ended up getting a home inverter (microtek hb725) and a battery and using that as a ups. Space is the only issue here.
I'm using APC Back-UPS 1100 since 3 years and its working fine so far. Provides around 15-20mins backup for my desktop which has Seasonic M12II 620W PSU. It has got 2x 7AH battery and original batteries are still good. Only thing it lacks is auto shutdown feature (No USB connection). For my house, I have Mahindra Sine Wave Inverter + 2x Tubular batteries and I'm using APC UPS as an extra protection.

I got the UPS from estorewale website for 4.5k and now its costs 4.7k + shipping. 600VA is also available in this model which is more suitable for basic desktops and laptops.

do you have a spike suppressor between the ups and system? maybe that could be causing the delay in switch-over.

a ups battery should last ~2 yrs. needing to change it every year seems like there's something killing them off faster than normal.

do you have a spike suppressor between the ups and system? maybe that could be causing the delay in switch-over.

a ups battery should last ~2 yrs. needing to change it every year seems like there's something killing them off faster than normal.
I do connect pc and UPS to same spike guard. Should I try connecting UPS separately?

Back