PC Peripherals UPS for >1 Hr Backup needed for my Compaq Laptop

casper^

Disciple
Hello,

I have a Compaq Presario V6000 series, 15" laptop without a battery (I think it takes about 65W as the adapter is rated at this power).

I need a UPS which can keep it up for about 1-2 hours. I'm tight on budget, so I could get a UPS which gives around 1 hour of backup for now but has a future expansion option to attach an external battery.

I already have an MX series car inverter (able to take 180 Watts load) but right now I don't have any external battery. But I guess this inverter won't be able to keep my laptop up in case of long and short period blackouts which are common in my area (in Mumbai) during summers.

I've read a few threads here on TE where people have suggested to use a UPS along with an inverter. Please suggest what should I go for and something in the range of 3,000 - 5,000/- (lesser is better at this time).

Kind Regards,
Casper

P.S.: I would also need something to keep up my Hathway modem at such times. I can do without the WiFi by using a Lan cable. So, please suggest for this modem too.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a battery for your Laptop?
a replacement third party battery would cost you around 1k only.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a battery for your Laptop?
a replacement third party battery would cost you around 1k only.

I just asked an ebay seller after searching for the cheapest battery for my laptop, about how many hours will it provide backup. He said about one hour. If Ihad a UPS, sometime in the near future, I could add external batteries to provide for more backup time. I can't say exactly how many hours load shedding occurs in summer.

May be for now, this Rs. 1,150/- battery could be fine. Can you also suggest what I do for keeping the modem online? Should I get a small (3, 5 or 7 AH) MF battery to use with my MX car inverter (180 Watts) and use it for the modem (and for the Wifi too if it can).

Regards,
Casper

Go for APC BACKUP PRO 1500 BR/APC BACKUP PRO 1100 BR
i am using it for my deskytop
The 1100 version costs u arnd 7k and the 1500 costs u arnd 11k
i guess the 1100 will do ur job

Should I get a small (3, 5 or 7 AH) MF battery to use with my MX car inverter (180 Watts) and use it for the modem (and for the Wifi too if it can).
Do you have something to charge the battery? The car inverter is only going to convert DC to AC, it won't charge the battery.

Go for APC BACKUP PRO 1500 BR/APC BACKUP PRO 1100 BR
This model looks apt. Doesn't look like there's any restriction on what external battery you use (although has a limit of 26Ah). The ones with inbuilt batteries have proprietary connectors and battery packs.
Assuming you use a pair of 26Ah batteries, you should have 624VAh (26Ah * 24V). With a ~50W load and say 70% conversion efficiency (624 * 0.7 / 50) = ~8.7 hours.

You could get one of the local brands if you need something cheaper. Numeric has models that support external batteries.

Back