UPS customs duty urgent help!

adventureguy

Skilled
Hi guys,

I ordered an amazon basics monitor arm for a friend from amazon USA. I paid around 6k for import duties and Its shipped through UPS .

Now its in hyderabad and UPS is refusing to deliver unless I pay "Duty amount" which is 4k. I argued with him telling him I already paid the customs to amazon but he says after GST, goverment imposed this duty and only few rare shipments get hit by this and out of 50 shipments only 6 were hit and mine was one of them.

WTF is "Duty amount" ? and why is it 60% of my item cost? Need any suggestions. UPS plainly told me they won't deliver without me paying this amount.

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal : INR 6,894.68
Shipping & Handling : INR 0.00
Total before tax : INR 12,946.74
Estimated tax to be collected : INR 0.00
Import Fees Deposit : INR 6,052.06
Grand Total : INR 12,946.74

Attachments

• bill.PNG
    bill.PNG
    58.2 KB · Views: 185
I did contact both amazon and UPS. I took my product because I needed it urgently. UPS guy protested but I said you have my address, come visit me after talking with your supervisor. He told me he'll contact me on monday. Lets see.

I did contact both amazon and UPS. I took my product because I needed it urgently. UPS guy protested but I said you have my address, come visit me after talking with your supervisor. He told me he'll contact me on monday. Lets see.
And what does amazon say regarding the situation?

"We'll update the situation at our partners at UPS and get back to you"

Amazon US has been more than helpful to us. I contacted them to know whether they can ship the item soon because we needed it urgently and not only did they speed up the delivery, they even waived off the delivery charges which were around another 8k rs more to india

Im sure amazon will take care of it. Still haven't received any call from UPS regarding this

Update incase anyone is interested.

Amazon contacted me saying I have been charged 3.2k as import fees so they're returning the remaining amount out of 6k as deposit I paid them. I asked them about the new 4k UPS was asking me as bill of supply. Amazon said I shouldn't pay anything extra to them. I reminded them that UPS was withholding my shipment and I had to forcefully take it from them after giving my address/phone number since It was urgent.

Amazon told me they'll contact UPS. Meanwhile UPS also called and I said the same thing amazon told me and UPS guy said there's been mistakes in software due to GST and they'll get back to me after contacting his superior.

EASE OF DOING BUSINESS GUISE!

shitty jokes aside, I think the matter has been settled then. Don't know how much UPS mooched off unsuspecting customers in the name of extra customs due to GST.

If customs amount seems too much, ask for clarification.

Update incase anyone is interested.

Amazon contacted me saying I have been charged 3.2k as import fees so they're returning the remaining amount out of 6k as deposit I paid them. I asked them about the new 4k UPS was asking me as bill of supply. Amazon said I shouldn't pay anything extra to them. I reminded them that UPS was withholding my shipment and I had to forcefully take it from them after giving my address/phone number since It was urgent.

Amazon told me they'll contact UPS. Meanwhile UPS also called and I said the same thing amazon told me and UPS guy said there's been mistakes in software due to GST and they'll get back to me after contacting his superior.

EASE OF DOING BUSINESS GUISE!

shitty jokes aside, I think the matter has been settled then. Don't know how much UPS mooched off unsuspecting customers in the name of extra customs due to GST.

If customs amount seems too much, ask for clarification.
I wonder if even i was looted by FedEx similarly. They cut the price that was stated and increased it and then charged customs on that. Else I wouldn't have had to pay customs.

Back