Budget 21-30k Upgrading hardware or buying new

a_t_u_l

Disciple
Hi
I have an acer aspire 5560 laptop , its few yrs old but no issues as such. Would like to run after effects for learning.

Currently it has 4gb ram and sata hdd 500gb. Would it be pratical to update the ram or ram & hdd both / else buy a new. Though wouldnt wanna spend on a new laptop.

You can upgrade the CPU, RAM, HDD and even the GPU if possible.

CPU - you need to check what is the type of CPU and if available.

RAM and HDD are usually upgradable, if the former is not soldered.

GPU - depends. I dont think the newer ones can be.

Please post exact specs from the service manual

It all depends on how feasible a certain upgrade is. And with laptops, it's better to buy a new one than try to upgrade your old one.

Don't upgrade the RAM as you won't be able to use it in any other machine, as the next computer you buy will probably use DDR4.

If you buy an SSD, then your current machine will become a lot snappier, with programs and the OS loading much faster, but all compute related tasks- i.e. after effects, will take the same amount of time.
But, when you do decide to upgrade you can move your SSD into your new machine.
You can either replace your HDD or get a hard drive caddy, and place the SSD where your DVD currently resides, and get the advantage of the SSD's speed, and the HDD's storage capacity.

Changing the hard drive is easy, but you may need to resize and clone your partitions if you want to use your Windows key.

That said, you really don't need anything new to begin learning.

Don't upgrade the RAM as you won't be able to use it in any other machine, as the next computer you buy will probably use DDR4.

If you buy an SSD, then your current machine will become a lot snappier, with programs and the OS loading much faster, but all compute related tasks- i.e. after effects, will take the same amount of time.
But, when you do decide to upgrade you can move your SSD into your new machine.
You can either replace your HDD or get a hard drive caddy, and place the SSD where your DVD currently resides, and get the advantage of the SSD's speed, and the HDD's storage capacity.

Changing the hard drive is easy, but you may need to resize and clone your partitions if you want to use your Windows key.

That said, you really don't need anything new to begin learning.
Thanks bro, the perfect reply.

Though ended up buying ram today and then read your post.

Earlier the lappie started to hang so thought of giving it a try. Though it doesnt hang, the task takes pretty long time.

Seems its time to upgrade the lappie. Any suggestions for a perfect in budget to run after effects with ease.

Thinking of picking up Lenovo y50-70 , used for 40k. Its around 2 yrs old. Is it a good buy or should i let it pass.

If you need it with the specs it has, and not ready for ebay purchase, then fine. But I would suggest to reconsider, since I find Lenovo not to be up to the mark. Secondly, look at USA Black Friday...

If you need it with the specs it has, and not ready for ebay purchase, then fine. But I would suggest to reconsider, since I find Lenovo not to be up to the mark. Secondly, look at USA Black Friday...

Was buying only for the specs. Dont mind waiting as far as it fits my budget. Let me know where to look for deals.

Back