Budget 51-70k Upgrade Help Needed - i5 or i7?

Blackend

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD FX 8350
    • Motherboard - ASUS M5 A97 R2.0
    • GPU - MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr
    • RAM - Kingston 2X4GB DDR3 @ 1833Mhz Blue
    • Monitor - 1x Samsung 20inch; 2x Benq GL2450
    • PSU - Seasonic S12 620
    • Cabinet - Storm Scout 2
    • Cooler - Hyper 212
    • HDD- 2 TB Black, 3 TB Green
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
      1. PSU - Seasonic S12 620
      2. Cabinet - Storm Scout 2
      3. Cooler - Hyper 212 (might even replace this with something better!)
      4. HDD- 2 TB Black, 3 TB Green
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Unsure between i5 6600K or i7 6700K
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte G1 Gaming 5 z170 or ASRock Extreme4 Z170
    • GPU - Maybe GTX 1070...need suggestions
    • RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200
    • HDD - An SSD, Samsung 750 EVO or Crucial MX 300 (250gb)
    • Cooler- Unsure what to buy if I decide to upgrade it.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • If I get the graphic card now then yes, its final.
    • Next year I'll be replacing my current monitors for dual 2.5K ones or 4K ones if affordable.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi
    • SMC or Computer Empire
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming - 100%
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Everything. I pretty much play across all genres. Would love to play these at Ultra.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 Pro

My only use for this system is gaming. I have a 65k budget for upgrading the current setup. I will also be listing the older parts on TE for sale so I should have a bit more to spend.

This is where the graphic card upgrade comes into play. If I sell my card and the other components and opt for the i5, I should have enough to buy the GTX 1070 (Amazon Global, since its cheapest). If I opt for the i7 then I won't be upgrading the card immediately.

^^ i7 doesn't add a lot of value over the i5 for the extra cost incurred. If you have a tight budget, just go for the i5. I have been using a Core i5 2500k since 2011 and for the first time felt the CPU being bottleneck after upgrading to GTX 1080.

Also you might wanna consider waiting for the 7th gen CPU's which are supposed to the released in Jan. Nothing radical about them, but even if you don't go for them, 6th gen prices may drop a wee bit.

^^ i7 doesn't add a lot of value over the i5 for the extra cost incurred. If you have a tight budget, just go for the i5. I have been using a Core i5 2500k since 2011 and for the first time felt the CPU being bottleneck after upgrading to GTX 1080.

Also you might wanna consider waiting for the 7th gen CPU's which are supposed to the released in Jan. Nothing radical about them, but even if you don't go for them, 6th gen prices may drop a wee bit.

Yeah I think the i5 is good enough for my needs. I've been looking at benchmarks and there's rarely more than a 5-10% performance difference between the i5 and the i7.

I am anyway planning to buy towards the end of January. Hopefully the 7th gen has launched by then.

Intel is usually on point with their supply so that there is barely any price drop when the next gens hit stores. It's really annoying to be honest.

If you're playing pretty much every game then Lord Nemesis is on point. The single thread perf of the 6600k and 6700k have basically no difference in game. The 7600k and 7700k will be similar. The 6700k is only worth it if you do stuff like compiling or anything that requires better multithread performance to be honest.

Intel is usually on point with their supply so that there is barely any price drop when the next gens hit stores. It's really annoying to be honest.

If you're playing pretty much every game then Lord Nemesis is on point. The single thread perf of the 6600k and 6700k have basically no difference in game. The 7600k and 7700k will be similar. The 6700k is only worth it if you do stuff like compiling or anything that requires better multithread performance to be honest.

Yeah I am going to stick with the i5 6600K. I feel thats enough. The money I save can go towards the graphic card. Which motherboard do you recommend? Is Gigabyte better than ASRock?

I own the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming actually and I don't have much experience with Gigabyte or ASRock support.

However, I have heard that the Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI is a great motherboard.

Back