Unexplained internet charge in my Vodafone bill (even with data plan)

moshel

Adept
This month out of curiosity I opened my Vodafone detailed bill and noticed that I was charged Rs. 2.88 under VF Mobile Connect. Now I already have a data plan (Rs. 125 for 1 GB 2G data). I had used 461500 KB in January 2015. I contacted vodafone care and the reply I received is hilarious! Couldn't stop myself from sharing with you.

{Moshel}HI
{VF Care}Good Evening! I am VF Care. How may I help you?
{Moshel}I have a question regarding this month's bill
{VF Care}Are you inquiring for the same number: 98259XXXXX?
{Moshel}yes
{Moshel}under VF Mobile Connect it shows usage as 461500 KB (which is roughly around 461 MB)
{VF Care}Okay Sir.
{Moshel}However I am charged Rs. 2.88 for it
{VF Care}Let me check this, please
{Moshel}As far as I know my plan is 1GB 2G data @ Rs. 125 for 1 month
{Moshel}Then why this charge?
{VF Care}Okay Sir.
{VF Care}I will help you with this.
{VF Care}Please be online for this.
{Moshel}Thanks!

{VF Care}Sir as I can see the rates for data usage is wrong by Rs 2.8.
{VF Care}As you cover a 1 gb data usage.
{VF Care}Still charged Rs 2.8 more.
{Moshel}Yes...I see in the detailed bill at few places, even on 1st january, Rs. 0.04 were charged
{Moshel}what is the reason
{VF Care}Sir I am unaware for the reason .
{Moshel}01/01/15-19:44:00
VF Mobile Connect
{VF Care}Sir I am sorry for this charge.
{Moshel}That's the reply you have really???
{VF Care}Sir all the things are proper .
{VF Care}Even I am confused about the charges.
{Moshel}16/01/15-21:24:11 VF Mobile Connect 480 1.92
{Moshel}Rs. 1.92 charged on 16th
{Moshel}This is a low amount this time. But how do I know if the amount gets piled up in the coming days/months
{VF Care}sir I am really sorry for this.
{VF Care}sir You need not worry for this.
{Moshel}I don't want your sorry. All I want is the reason. If you don't know it/have it then ask your superiors and send the notification to me
{VF Care}Sir as I see this is a very small amount.
{VF Care}
Yet it is of a concern.
{Moshel}Yes. Today it's a small amount but you never know, next month I may be bombed with Rs. 50 or 100 for this. Hence, I want the reason.
{VF Care}Sir I think the charges might ne because of the paid sites. browsing.
{Moshel}If I browse paid sites, I will pay to the site. Why should I pay you.
{Moshel}I am paying for your internet plan.
{VF Care}sir but the websites charges are shown and charged from bill.
{Moshel}Yes but it is not here. Very clearly your bill shows data usage and charges for data usage.
{Moshel}If I have purchased from a "paid" site it will show separately under usage charges as a separate line item
{VF Care}Sir That is why I am also concerend for the same.
{VF Care}Sir you need not worry for this,
{VF Care}Any extra amount charged to you even when your benefits are there.
{VF Care}Will be gioven waiver to you.
{Moshel}Thanks...that would be appreciated.
{VF Care}Yes sir.
{VF Care}Is there anything else that I can help you with?
{Moshel}But I will also appreciate if you could notify your superiors about it and arrange to inform me the reason for this charge so I know about it
{Moshel}Thats all...Thanks!
{VF Care}Thank you for contacting Vodafone Web-Chat. Have a wonderful day!
The Vodafone Service Desk Agent has left.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking this may be related to few calls I tried through Viber. Since there was this talk of charging Internet calls. I did try calling a couple of people through Viber last month but the call hadn't gone through.

Any thoughts on this?

Thats poor and pathetic response.

Just out of anxiety I opened my last months vodafone bill and thankfully no such charges were levied for my no. Touchwood!!:bag:

Now threaten them that you wont pay your current/upcoming bill and you wanna mnp.

The moment mnp comes into play the tables do turn.... Try that.;)

Similar issue, if you browse NDTV on the phone, they may charge you 99 rs for each visit. Still fighting this one out.

Today, inspite of data being turned off on my phone - I got several small data volume charges of 1KB - 10p was deducted twice.

Redmi 1S running CM11 - R17.

This month out of curiosity I opened my Vodafone detailed bill and noticed that I was charged Rs. 2.88 under VF Mobile Connect. Now I already have a data plan (Rs. 125 for 1 GB 2G data). I had used 461500 KB in January 2015. I contacted vodafone care and the reply I received is hilarious! Couldn't stop myself from sharing with you.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking this may be related to few calls I tried through Viber. Since there was this talk of charging Internet calls. I did try calling a couple of people through Viber last month but the call hadn't gone through.

Any thoughts on this?

Hello moshel,

We completely understand your concern. We'll try our best to help you here. Kindly share your current and alternate contact numbers in the following link. http://bit.ly/17QuSvi

Regards,
Vodafone India.

Hello moshel,

We completely understand your concern. We'll try our best to help you here. Kindly share your current and alternate contact numbers in the following link. http://bit.ly/17QuSvi

Regards,
Vodafone India.

Glad to hear from you. BTW when I clicked on the link today, after writing the message I got 404 error (link is broken).

Further, I received February month's bill today. I haven't received the Rs. 2.88 discount as promised by your executive. And once again I have been charged Rs. 0.56 as VFMobile Connect charges. Can you please let me know why are you levying these additional charges?

@vivek.krishnan.....I am using a Nokia 620

@nRiTeCh......That's a good idea...Atleast one thing's for sure, next when I buy a dual sim phone, I will buy second sim for data pack from Idea.

Last edited:
@moshel

The same thing is happening to some people with Yureka Phones too. Maybe its a KitKat bug.

The reason-
All I can think of is you have a Data plan with Vodafone right?
Maybe you turn off your "Mobile data" when not in use,
even then, inexplicably some apps may wake the phone up and access the internet for minimal update/sync.
But since you have turned off your " 3g Mobile Data", these data charges don't get included in your data cover but are charged 4p/10kb everytime according to 2g/gprs rates.
Now since an app can wake the phone up anywhere between 2-3 times an hour, these charges add up.
This is both an Android and Network operator bug.

The solution (Android specific)-
I would recommend you to use a firewall like Droidwall/No-root firewall and disable apps from accessing "Mobile data/3g" altogether and allow them to connect via "Wi-Fi" only.
When you need to use Mobile data, just disable the firewall, when done just re-enable it.

Else you can install appops and disable specific app privileges to wake up and connect to mobile data.[DOUBLEPOST=1425573189][/DOUBLEPOST]
.I am using a Nokia 620
Sorry I didn't read that, I posted the solution for an Android Phone.

Hi paarkhi,

We are sorry about that. Please share your contact number using the below link, we will have someone get back to you to address this. http://bit.ly/1Fh1War

Regards,
Vodafone India

@Vodafone Inda I have entered the information in the new link.

@Mechanic Even if it's an android/app specific fault, still the question remains, why the extra charge when you have not exceeded the monthly quota.

Hi moshel,

Thanks for letting us know. We shall update your contact details and have someone get back to you with assistance.

Regards,
Vodafone India

It happened with me on Docomo prepaid few years back.
Whenever I used moneycontrol app 10p-20p would get deducted despite having a 2G data pack.
Phone: Nokia 5233
Didn't bother to check with CC though, as the charge was very less and I used the app occasionally.

Got a call from Vodafone yesterday. The executive informed me that the issue was because I was on a data plan that has been discontinued. And he promised to rectify the problem.

Appreciate the quick resolution.

Back