Graphic Cards Uncomfirmed AMD R9-390X & Nvidia GTX 960 Indian Pricing

Rickyk

Skilled
Please consider the below info with a pinch of salt -

R9-390X - Rs.75,267/- (seems absurdly high but nothing shocks me when it comes to Indian GPU pricing TBH)

Nvidia GTX 960 - Rs.15,747/-

Note that local taxes/levies may push up these prices even further...

960 info is still sketchy at best, and that's just the import price not inclusive of all taxes and stuff

I don't think its gonna launch within 2014

Q1 2015 and probably around 18-20k

A rumored "potential" glimpse at R9-380X/390X performance? :) Bolded the interesting bits.
Via Toms -

It seems someone has spun up the rumor mill, pushing out a nice 'n juicy graphics card rumor.

Aside from a heap of price drops, it's been relatively quiet in the GPU world the past few weeks. Today that changes, though, as the rumor mill has pumped out a new, fresh, juicy bit of information.

Some of you may be familiar with the Chiphell forums. Often, users there will post benchmarks of unreleased products, and surprisingly enough, they often manage to be curiously accurate. Now, user Junmiu posted some performance information of a "Captain Jack" graphics card, and while we have no idea what card that is, we can guess.

FUqVCBj.jpg

The rumor is that "Captain Jack" is either the R9 380X or the R9 390X, although for all intents and purposes, it doesn't matter. One thing is certain – this card is from AMD. The "Captain Jack" codename falls (sort of) right in line with past names from the company, which include Hawaii, Tahiti, and even Vesuvius.

When we reached out to AMD, a company representative told us that he has never heard of "Captain Jack" in this context. While this means that it's possible that the codename isn't accurate, the representative did not say anything about the performance numbers, so there may be a hint of truth to this.

sKFoUfQ.png

The listed performance sits at 65.6 FPS, which is an average performance number of a handful of games. All were run at a 2560 x 1440 resolution. This is notably faster than a GTX 980, which scored 56.6 FPS across the selection of games. Captain Jack still used a little more power than its green competitor, consuming 197 W vs the GTX 980's 185, but at that number it's actually still more efficient.

Why doesn't it matter whether it's the 380X or the 390X? Well, the performance numbers are very promising, and if there is any truth to them, AMD appears to be drastically improving the efficiency of its cards.

This is, of course, just a rumor, and AMD denied that Captain Jack exists, so we're taking all of this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a new gpu and have been reading nothing but rumors for the past 3 months. 970 is a great vfm card but i'd like to wait it out for the mid-rangers to show up in Q1 2015.

Just until last week it was rumored that only the high-end (390x) will be the new Fiji XT and the others will be upgraded Hawaii and now this bullsh*t shows up beating the 980. People speculating it's the 380x since last month a pic of the shroud surfaced which had cut-outs for liquid cooling but now this graph shows consumption under 200w which really doesn't warrant liquid cooling. Plus how are they able to squeeze out so much performance over last year while being so efficient ? I hope this is proper next gen using stacked memory and 20nm lithography but right now we need to take all this with a plate full of salt and just wait it out.

I really hope this is the 380x though (team Red fanboy here :p), it'll be great value if priced like the 280x at launch (24-25k). Besides, Nvidia is still sitting on the GM200 trump card so this better not be the best that AMD has to offer.

^Been alternating between AMD & Nvidia myself as far as GPU's go.

This time, its AMD's turn so I'm really hoping that the 380/390X are reasonably priced in India.

If not, its going to be a shiny new 970 for me...

Lol some more rumors, they're codenamed Caribbean Islands not Pirate islands and the release date is expected to be sometime between June to august not feb/mar.
Disappointed really, was hoping to put one in my system before Witcher 3 comes out.

from what i am hearing... march - april is looking like proper availability.. and paper launch/limited amount of cards in early feb :)

So it's gonna be a $200 card launching on 22nd Jan, should cost around 16-17k here. Not worth it though going by those specs and there's probably gonna be a Ti version soon enough. Better to wait for the red camp or save up and get a 970.

MSI-GeForce-GTX-960-Gaming-ME-635x511_zps4b2b1ee5.jpg

MSI-GeForce-GTX-960-Gaming-635x501_zps24ebe6a2.jpg

Not really, assuming the 960 will outperform the 760 it replaces and retail for under 18k then it would be good value compared to an r9 280 (which retails for 18k+)

But i seriously doubt if prices are going to be under 18k especially since the 760 is still 15k+.

Also, i don't think they will have a 'ti' version for the 960.
They didn't have one for the 760 and if they did launch a 960'ti', it will still be slower than a 970, so not really worth the wait.

p.s. -22nd Jan is the day they announce it at CES. actual availability will probably start a month or two later so be sure to take that into account if your planning on getting one.

^There's definitely going to be a Ti, infact three variants have been rumored to be coming out. This is the vanilla GM206, the other two will mostly be cut down GM204 chips. The bulk of the market lies between $200-$320, they won't leave that huge gap for AMD to conquer with their price cuts. Comparing older products and their prices in today's date is pointless too, no one will buy this if it's around 18k.
Yea 22nd is the paper launch, think it was already posted above. Not interested in getting this though, terrible specs.

Last edited:
I agree. It's just that prices are so skewed over here, more so for nvidia. There's no way the 960 will arrive here for less than 18k.
2 months back a dealer offered me a 560Ti for 13k. He spoke as if it was the deal of a lifetime.

Wow 3yr old card for almost the launch price, i hope you laughed in his face. Hope people don't fall for stuff like this.

I'm just pissed because Nvidia isn't passing down some of these gains to the consumer, it's time the market got something bang-for-buck like the 8800gt back in the day.
They released the mid-rangers last year packaged as high end and now they pull this. This xxxx06 sku is usually reserved for lower mid-range like say the 750Ti and yet they've named it 960. I really hope AMD comes out guns blazing.

http://wccftech.com/amd-nvidia-20nm-16nm-delayed/

The above source says to expect the radeon 300 series in feb-march and it also explains why product launches are delayed for both amd and nvidia. i.e. qualcomm etc. are using up all the new node capacity.

@psyph3r - I didn't laugh because i genuinely thought i misheard him. And amd will certainly come out guns blazing this year thanks to stacked memory.

Last edited:
Back