UM Bikes - Are they worth for the price

technofast

Huh?
Adept
I test drove this UM commando model bike. I should say it is impressive but little tough negotiating in traffic but maybe it is due to me riding this bike for the first time. The price seems to be on the higher side at Rs. 2 lakhs on road for the 300CC bikes. Comparatively RE bikes are cheaper and I think the 500CC one's are around 2.25 lakhs on road. Making a buying choice which bike should one go for, RE or UM.

Went for a test ride with RE 500CC. No doubt, it is solid, heavy and the power was raw and cannot be compared to the UM bikes. Compared with the power of RE the UM bikes looks puny in performance and response. However, I am not sure why RE bikes do not have the standard features that other bikes have. They do not even have a fuel gauge, trip meter, gear indicator, tachometer. Definitely RE should work on this as they could not ride on the brand value for a long time. Also I was told that the bike can be delivered in 10 to 15 days time and seems like the waiting time of 3 to 4 months has come down due to mass production. The resale value would come down if the bikes are mass produced. I think I would like to buy RE bike but would definitely think twice as they do not have the standard features and has the same old looks. UM bikes score here without any competition.

Classic model is over exaggerated and nostalgic. Features u mentioned are exactly same things I observed. If I had to choose, I would rather opt for Thunderbird having all these features and better posture/ possible comfort. Also RE bikes are kinda over priced for air cooled engines just because people are falling for it. So I would also prefer used bike to take benefit of depreciation.

Back