Monitors Ultra Wide? Yes or No

Should I buy an UW display for gaming?

• Total voters
We're discussing getting an UW to reduce the letterboxing while maintaining aspect ratio. If someone doesn't understand why proper aspect ratio is important, and that the letterboxing is only to maintain that, then they probably need to go do some research first. opinion about something looking better doesn't mean sh!t if a round object appears oval, for example, just because you wanted to remove black bars. But hey, this could be good for short actors i guess... ;)
While UW will reduce letterboxing for movies with 2:35:1 aspect ratio, it will introduce pillarboxing for most TV shows and some movies which are shot at 16:9. Cropping top and bottom black bars from a 21:9 movie to fit it into a 16:9 display does not alter the aspect ratio in a drastic way, at least not drastic enough to make a round object appear oval. HBO and some others does that. Most people are annoyed by black bars than slight aspect ratio alterations which is not even perceivable in most cases.

Last edited:
While UW will reduce letterboxing for movies with 2:35:1 aspect ratio, it will introduce pillarboxing for most TV shows and some movies which are shot at 16:9. Cropping top and bottom black bars from a 21:9 movie to fit it into a 16:9 display does not alter the aspect ratio in a drastic way, at least not drastic enough to make a round object appear oval. HBO and some others does that. Most people are annoyed by black bars than slight aspect ratio alterations which is not even perceivable in most cases.

I'd take letterboxing/pillarboxing over a forcefully stretched image any day.
No. Just no :(.

In extreme cases, if one really dislikes blackbars that much, even the zoom and crop method is better than stretching.
Because even losing part of the image is preferable to a ruined aspect ratio.

I'd take letterboxing/pillarboxing over a forcefully stretched image any day.
No. Just no :(.

In extreme cases, if one really dislikes blackbars that much, even the zoom and crop method is better than stretching.
Because even losing part of the image is preferable to a ruined aspect ratio.

Did you buy an uw monitor yet?

My ultrasharp 2208wfp is ultradead and there are multiple lg options for pretty affordable prices. Haven't gone through the reviews yet but are the negative ones because people didn't get as much vertical height as a 16:9?

Did you buy an uw monitor yet?

My ultrasharp 2208wfp is ultradead and there are multiple lg options for pretty affordable prices. Haven't gone through the reviews yet but are the negative ones because people didn't get as much vertical height as a 16:9?
Not yet, my monitor refuses to die.
Damn thing even had the audacity to go in remission :p. The right-hand side was slightly interlaced and now it's back to perfect display.

Also I'd ignore the negative UW reviews over not enough vertical height. Those people just didn't educate themselves enough on the inch-age disparity between 16:9 and 21:9.

You don't just swap a 22" 16:9 for a 22" 21:9 then be surprised that it's significantly smaller.

Back