Budget 0-20k Ultra low budget rig (<15K) for office documentation usage

polza

Recruit
  1. What is your budget?
    • Max 15K without Monitor, keyboard & mouse
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Its a 12 year old PC
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor – 15" CRT
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU – Intel G3220
    • Motherboard – Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1
    • RAM – 4GB Corsair Vengeance
    • HDD – 1 TB WD
    • DVD RW - LG/Asus
    • Need you'll to suggest a good PSU & Cabinet.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrades
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • MS Office
    • Browsing
    • Tally
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nothing specific
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • NA
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 / XP
The rig i have chosen coupled with a PSU + Cabinet exceeds my 15K budget. Please suggest any Processor or Motherboard options that cost a little lesser than the ones I have mentioned.

Thanks

If you are looking for office usage, any specific reason for Corsair Vengeance? If I can get a i3 based CPU for 17.5 minus the DVDRW, I am sure you can get one with the G3220 for at least 3K lesser.

Do let me know what was the cost of the components.

Go with Corsair value ram. Use Circle/VIP cabinet+SMPS instead of some exotic brands.

If you are looking for office usage, any specific reason for Corsair Vengeance? If I can get a i3 based CPU for 17.5 minus the DVDRW, I am sure you can get one with the G3220 for at least 3K lesser.

Do let me know what was the cost of the components.

Go with Corsair value ram. Use Circle/VIP cabinet+SMPS instead of some exotic brands.

I have only checked the rates online. Shall compare them with local prices soon.

G3220 : 4050
GA-h81m-S1 : 3679
Corsair Value 4gb : 1909
WD Blue 1TB : 4450
LG DVD RW : 900

Total (without cabinet + psu) : 14988.

• CPU – Intel G3220 ~4k
  • Motherboard – ASUS H81M ~3-4k
  • RAM – 4GB Corsair/Kingston ~2k
  • HDD – 1 TB WD ~3.5-4k
  • DVD RW - LG/Asus ~1k
  • for cabinet i would suggest a base model cooler master or antec (~2-3k) but if budget is really a constraint then intex/zebronics or equal will do (1-2k)
  • for smps please don't get a random brand as the quality of electricity your components receive is affected by it. i would suggest a corsair/antec 350w psu ~2-2.5k)
The nuc suggestion from chaos however looks like a better overall choice
http://www.primeabgb.com/intel-nuc-...120gb-ssd-kingston-4gb-ddr3-notebook-ram.html

Also, i know you're not planning on getting a new monitor but i strongly suggest that you replace the crt monitor with any flat panel one because of the amount of eye strain involved with crt's. you will notice a big improvement in viewing your work by getting rid of the old crt.

Having used circle and VIP SMPS, I too feel that it is better to use better quality SMPS, but if the budget does not allow for it, you cannot buy it. Unless you live in an area beset with power issues, VIP/Circle SMPS will work fine.

The NUC will be a small machine with low power for doing work, but when you pit it against a desktop, I dont see it able to match it, performance. Thats because you get a celeron in the NUC, while we are looking at Pentium dualcore CPU in the desktop.

I would suggest to get an i3 instead anyday. It may be a bit more expensive, but far more futureproof. As mentioned, you can get it for 17.5K+ all incl.

Last edited:
Unless you live in an area beset with power issues, VIP/Circle SMPS will work fine.
That is incorrect. it's the psu's ability to provide 'clean power' to the components that is the issue. please check psu reviews for ripple measurements. over time a bad psu will reduce the service life of ALL the components so you won't be really saving money.

The NUC will be a small machine with low power for doing work, but when you pit it against a desktop, I dont see it able to match it, performance. Thats because you get a celeron in the NUC, while we are looking at Pentium dualcore CPU in the desktop.
true, but for op's usage it more than suffices - especially with an ssd.

That is incorrect. it's the psu's ability to provide 'clean power' to the components that is the issue. please check psu reviews for ripple measurements. over time a bad psu will reduce the service life of ALL the components so you won't be really saving money.

I do know what you are talking about. I agree with you that having a better PSU is best. I am an electronics engineer myself, and know what are the issues plaguing low end SMPS - all because of improper rectification. The components get stressed if they are maxing out the smps

Also, have seen that it does not matter a lot for low end machines which do not use a lot of power - especially if the power is good. Especially in office use.

Finally, what are you going to do when a person does not have a budget?

true, but for op's usage it more than suffices - especially with an ssd.

Cost :facepalm:

NUC - about 10K. Add 5K of 120GB SSD (64 is too less) and that's 15K. What about RAM? Not to forget limitations on NUC, including upgradation.

And coming to Tally, I dont think an SSD is best for Tally use.

Maybe you can skip the fancy cabinet and go with a local one,cheapest you can get .as for SMPS, an antec bp300p comes at 1800 /- way better than any zebronics blasphemy ,I'd further advise to skip the odd, but being an office PC means sooner or later someone will come running to you with a CD

Edit:it appears bp300p model is rather hard to find these days instead bp350PS is available at 1900/-

Last edited:
Cost :facepalm:

NUC - about 10K. Add 5K of 120GB SSD (64 is too less) and that's 15K. What about RAM? Not to forget limitations on NUC, including upgradation.

And coming to Tally, I dont think an SSD is best for Tally use.
the nuc i linked included an ssd and 4gb ram.
i don't see any reason why an ssd is not suitable for tally.

You can go for used PC. You may get better config in cheaper price. If you wanna go new you can opt for Biostar/Gigabyte Mbs for cheaper Price. I went for Zion Gaming Rams but they also have basic Rams in competitive price
  1. What is your budget?
    • Max 15K without Monitor, keyboard & mouse
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Its a 12 year old PC
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor – 15" CRT
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU – Intel G3220
    • Motherboard – Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1
    • RAM – 4GB Corsair Vengeance
    • HDD – 1 TB WD
    • DVD RW - LG/Asus
    • Need you'll to suggest a good PSU & Cabinet.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrades
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • MS Office
    • Browsing
    • Tally
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nothing specific
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • NA
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 / XP
The rig i have chosen coupled with a PSU + Cabinet exceeds my 15K budget. Please suggest any Processor or Motherboard options that cost a little lesser than the ones I have mentioned.

Thanks
Pc

Back