Ubuntu Fan thread

I didn't understand you. What will I lose?

Imo, we can run two desktop environments on any Linux distro without losing anything. There are so many people in Linux doing this.

Edit: From when I installed Ubuntu, seems like the network is lsow. In Linux Mint and Windows i get ~1.8Mbps (around 220-250KBps) speeds on downloads. In Ubuntu, no matter what speed test i do, it shows 1.2-1.3Mbps (around 150KBps speeds). File downloads are very slow and I get only 60-70KBps. Trying to install from Ubuntu software repo, even a 800KB file takes half an hour. What is going on?

Last edited:
we can run two desktop environments on any Linux distro without losing anything

Normally that is true. I am a great fan of Cinnamon. But, from my experience, I can keep only one of them. If I update inside Cinnamon, I loose Unity. Normally, that is not an issue. But when you go for an upgrade, lack of Unity DE will break a lot of things.

woah. you're running ubuntu on an android box? wow.

Yes - From Micro SD Card though and it is ARM version - Nothing special...Similar to RPi

Though there are some Chinese TV Box available which allow officially dual boot Linux (ARM) + Andriod officially from their High-Speed (more speed than micro sd port) Internal Storage.

Example - Khadas VIM2 but asking price is too much for an S912.

Which file manager is close to Nemo? Wanted to try out different distros. I'm thinking of trying out kde neon, xubuntu Cinnamon, korora Cinnamon.

I want some os which has a really good file manager which can open rar/zip files and has tabs and can open stuff as root. Plus one click file/folder sharing.

Last edited:
has tabs and can open stuff as root

Nautilus in Ubuntu does this.

a really good file manager which can open rar/zip files

Naultilus so far has extracted almost every compressed file I came across using right click > extract [DOUBLEPOST=1507466059][/DOUBLEPOST]
Plus one click file/folder sharing.

Sharing to ?

I have used both Nautilus and Nemo. Have tried KDE Plasma DE sometime back. None had it when I tried.

I don't like Nautilus that much. We can't open command prompt from the file explorer window. Nemo has a button to open command prompt in the folder we are inside.

@meetdilip, you were right about Cinnamon not working properly in Ubuntu. I'm seeing small small problems like having to click on the exit button 4-5 times to make a folder close and mounted drive not getting unmounted when I click the arrow next to it. In the DE it shows drive is unmounted and also in cli too shows drive not mounted. But for some reason the drive light is on and drive is running at full speed. Guess I'll have to nuke this Ubuntu system now.

Sharing means samba sharing. Nemo has a sharing tab like Windows. You can share the folder from Nemo. If samba is not installed it will download samba automatically and then share the folder. Maybe it's a part of Cinnamon DE. It's there in Linux Mint Cinnamon and possibly in the cinnamon I just installed. Have to check it.

We can't open command prompt from the file explorer window.

We can actually. There is an Open in Terminal option available through right click

Sharing means samba sharing.

Ubuntu will ask you to install Samba manually. Once you do that, take Nautilus, on the left hand side, you will find all mounted options and there is an extra option called Other Locations. Under that, under Network, you can see all shared drives and folders.

Linux Mint is your best bet if you do not like Ubuntu + Nautilus.

Guys, I'm buying a new laptop, most probably HP Notebook 15-BS576TX . The bad news is the Wireless Module is from RealTek in this model - RTL8739DE which is not supported. Guess I will have to buy some cheap ralink or atheros wifi usb card for now :confused:
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/issues/270

This Asus laptop runs linux os called Endless OS. Probably the OS can be replaced by some other os like ubuntu etc.

https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-t...-os-unique-take-linux-thats-perfect-new-users

I tried live version of Korora 26 Cinnamon version. Its based on Fedora. I wanted to install it but it said a 16GB drive was insufficient. It wanted to make a 3.5GB swap space along with 11GB for installation. So i cancelled it and decided to try it live. Seems it has wayland installed which does not work properly in my system. VLC installed on it was newer than I have on my Mint system and it couldn't play hevc file or x264 file properly. Live system ultimately crashed in VLC for some reason and everything froze. Removed the usb drive and booted back in Mint.

BTW, Firefox has become like windows 10 and started recording telemetry data in all OS's from ver 55 onwards. Make sure to check settings to turn off the telemetry and crash reporting etc.

Got fed up of Linux Mint hanging every few minutes for some reason. Installed Ubuntu. Ubuntu took like 2 hrs to install for some reason. Maybe because I had disabled internet to speed up the install but it didn't help. Got same hanging problem and installed Korora. No hanging problem but, there is screen tearing even though it is on latest mesa and linux firmware. Maybe Intel graphics drivers are shitty. I think the worst thing about this OS is it wants to restart every time it installs updates. Its like WIndows 10.

For home use, Ubuntu or Linux Mint is the better choice. Mainly due to driver support. If you leave them aside, others just satisfy your enthusiasm.[DOUBLEPOST=1508308328][/DOUBLEPOST]The latest news on 18.04 is, they might run a content for a new theme. If lucky, we might get more than one new theme.

Edit: From when I installed Ubuntu, seems like the network is lsow. In Linux Mint and Windows i get ~1.8Mbps (around 220-250KBps) speeds on downloads. In Ubuntu, no matter what speed test i do, it shows 1.2-1.3Mbps (around 150KBps speeds). File downloads are very slow and I get only 60-70KBps. Trying to install from Ubuntu software repo, even a 800KB file takes half an hour. What is going on?
Very very strange.

For home use, Ubuntu or Linux Mint is the better choice. Mainly due to driver support. If you leave them aside, others just satisfy your enthusiasm.[DOUBLEPOST=1508308328][/DOUBLEPOST]The latest news on 18.04 is, they might run a content for a new theme. If lucky, we might get more than one new theme.

That's the reason I was sticking with these two OS's. I wanted something that would work seamlessly for months.

Very very strange.
Isn't it? On fedora I hit the same 250+ KBps speeds.

Next LTS 18.04 will be called Bionic Beaver. Release date is 26 th April 2018

Release schedule

Screenshot-2017-10-27 BionicBeaver ReleaseSchedule - Ubuntu Wiki.png

Does anyone know how to get AMD Radeon drivers for 16.04 ?

Why? Isn't the best driver installed by default? If its not installed, go to System settings and search for Driver Manager. It will show fglrx updates if its not installed.

This arch wiki is a really good source of knowledge for installing and verifying graphics drivers. I used this to install i965 or some driver (can't remember exact name) for my intel chip. It was not installed by default and graphics was really bad, like lots of screen tearing etc.

Mesa ppa for Ubuntu where you can get latest drivers:
This mesa ppa

Back