Ubuntu Fan thread

Ubuntu 18.04 is unreliable with booting, at least in 2 of my systems. Seems like a systemd problem. gdm3 started, but no display. OR some messages like "waiting for xyz service" followed by a counter. This can randomly happen. 2-3 times, I've reinstalled forcibly gdm3 , gnome-shell etc and may have worked.

I honestly feels, Ubuntu with OpenRC should be considered a spin. With SysVinit or OpenRC/runit/upstart it is simple init. With systemd, cannot really understand what is going on. Linux is following Windows.

18.x series looks like a shit show. Lots of problem in this version. I just learnt a week back that gnome uses javascript backend for rendering or something. what a resource hog. no wonder it keeps crashing, is super slow etc. who thought it was a good idea to use javascript for a desktop environment :S

There's devuan or something which does not use systemd. But this is the last version of it. Their roadmap shows next beta version is using systemd.

There's devuan or something which does not use systemd. But this is the last version of it. Their roadmap shows next beta version is using systemd.
systemd is enforced by RedHat on persuasion of "unknown forces" (can be NSA etc).
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
OpenRC or even SysVinit makes a lot more sense. I have been using Linux for over 16 years now, starting with the RH 7.1 . One thing I always liked is, it is easy to point out what is gone wrong in Linux, thanks to UNIX's simplicity. For a problem, switch to another pty and log in and invoke telinit 1 and manually check services to troubleshoot. This is long past history now. Linux is getting complex and megalomaniac's like Lennart Poettering sabotage the whole Linux sphere for their fantasy projects. Unwanted complexities.Perceived as fast boot up time stats with systemd holds no water, as I've installed and used Devuan for a few weeks and it boots as fast as systemd distros does, may be slightly slower.

I'm comfortable using Gnome shell and likes it. Never liked Kde, which is buggier. But, it seems like Gnome project is hell bent on depending systemd for every Gnome package. It seems I've to stop using Gnome sooner. Cinnamon is good. My plan, is to find a distro which hopefully exists and active, uses OpenRC or sysVinit and has Cinnamon DE and got some recent packages. Linux Mint project should've tried LMDE with OpenRC and Cinnamon. I believe some Arch Linux derivatives already exists.[DOUBLEPOST=1533627200][/DOUBLEPOST]This is informative.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of switching to Xubuntu 18.04 now. I was running it in live mode for an hour or two and it was a good experience.
Its better than Linux Mint XFCE edition imo. Both use XFCE as DE but lot of difference. Recently Mint goes crazy if I update the kernel and the screen stops refreshing. lol. Too many troubles with Mint in last few months.

I'm thinking of switching to Xubuntu 18.04 now. I was running it in live mode for an hour or two and it was a good experience.
Its better than Linux Mint XFCE edition imo. Both use XFCE as DE but lot of difference. Recently Mint goes crazy if I update the kernel and the screen stops refreshing. lol. Too many troubles with Mint in last few months.

been using xubuntu for past many years.
smooth and clean like old days linux distros.

recently created a live disk of Ubuntu Studio. I hate to admit it that I really liked the distro. it comes with all the video and audio editing tools and even comes with Blender.

18.10 won't come with inbuilt Android connectivity support. The GSconnect GNOME Shell extension which makes it possible will however be available to install through ubuntu-software. You will have to install. Users will have to install the free GSconnect app on their Android device to make this connection possible.

Got a new laptop, came with Win10, but I would rather use some linux.
I have been using Ubuntu (14.04 -> 16.04) for last few years in my desktop as default OS. And I am okay with Ubuntu.

Now with the new machine I wanted try something else. And that's where I found myself in this dilemma.
Elementary OS vs Mint vs Manjaro vs else ?

My main usage involves few IDEs (Eclipse, VS Code, sublime etc), browsers (FF, Chrome), media players (VLC), basic photo editing, libre office etc.

No doubt, by the looks (default), Elementary looks pretty neat, while Mint/Manjaro a bit like Windows.
Besides that, what parameter do I need to consider while choosing anything?

Last edited:
You'll have to try your list of distros on your laptop via LiveUSB session to check hardware support is good or not - like for wifi/graphics.

elementary OS latest release 5.0 Juno seems to have a bunch of minor issues and glitches - many people with complaints on github and reddit - so you should consider running the previous release 0.4.1 loki also which is great - if you face issues with the latest.

If you want a close to Win10 look and feel try KDE Neon (user edition) latest ISO thats another good one.

You'll have to try your list of distros on your laptop via LiveUSB session to check hardware support is good or not - like for wifi/graphics.

elementary OS latest release 5.0 Juno seems to have a bunch of minor issues and glitches - many people with complaints on github and reddit - so you should consider running the previous release 0.4.1 loki also which is great - if you face issues with the latest.

If you want a close to Win10 look and feel try KDE Neon (user edition) latest ISO thats another good one.

I have already tried Elementary Juno via LiveUSB last night. My trackpad was not usable.
Let me try other distros then.

It's not that I am looking something similar to Windows. I have been using default Ubuntu unity for last few years and I am okay with it. Just wanted to try something different. :)

Also, got just 4gigs of RAM. Hope that would be okay with these distros.

4gigs is fine for both linux and win10, just that you mostly wont be able to multitask. just run one app (browser etc) at a time.[DOUBLEPOST=1540382955][/DOUBLEPOST]browser is what will hog memory not the OS[DOUBLEPOST=1540383023][/DOUBLEPOST]and dont give up on elementary just because trackpad didnt work, try researching for troubleshooting the issue :D

I'm using Xubuntu and with both FF and Chrome open on desktop with 4 tabs each, memory usage is just a tad less than 2Gigs @ 1.93GB.

4gigs is fine for both linux and win10, just that you mostly wont be able to multitask. just run one app (browser etc) at a time.[DOUBLEPOST=1540382955][/DOUBLEPOST]browser is what will hog memory not the OS[DOUBLEPOST=1540383023][/DOUBLEPOST]and dont give up on elementary just because trackpad didnt work, try researching for troubleshooting the issue :D

Win10 is lagging too much now. Read somewhere once all the updates are applied, it'd smooth a bit.

Elementary is now 2nd on my list. I will try Manjaro today. Let's see how this goes. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1540458573][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm using Xubuntu and with both FF and Chrome open on desktop with 4 tabs each, memory usage is just a tad less than 2Gigs @ 1.93GB.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 in my desktop having same 4gigs (with i5-4th gen).
With 8/9 tabs in FF & 4/5 in Chrome, RAM usage is around 3GB.

Back