Linux Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Discussion Thread

^^NO proprietary driver showing up in restricted driver manager so I am using the default open source driver. Phoronix did stated that ubuntu got some pre-release proprietary driver with Xserver 1.7 support but not yet reflecting anywhere :p?

Maybe some ppa needs to be added ! Will give that a try later. Haven't tried it on lappy yet. But it seems that HD5XXX support isn't as mature as it should be till date !

hmmm sad... ati still having issues i see...

yes people on ubuntu forums also waiting for the driver to show up in driver manager (jockey) :)

Oh so ATI hardware still has trouble with Ubuntu I see. What about NVidia? Do their graphic cards work at full potential?

Not only are these queries pertinent to my future purchase of the Acer 5740 laptop, but also towards my upcoming HTPC.

BTW my webcam works just fine with Skype. Full video calling successful! If only iTunes would work flawlessly on Ubuntu, then I would have no need of booting into Windows to maintain my music collection.

phoenix844884 said:
Oh so ATI hardware still has trouble with Ubuntu I see. What about NVidia? Do their graphic cards work at full potential?

Not only are these queries pertinent to my future purchase of the Acer 5740 laptop, but also towards my upcoming HTPC.

BTW my webcam works just fine with Skype. Full video calling successful! If only iTunes would work flawlessly on Ubuntu, then I would have no need of booting into Windows to maintain my music collection.

Nvidia works flawlessly after installing proprietary driver.

Intel works out of the work no need to install any drivers

@phoenix, im planning to go back to croma carrying ubuntu live usb sticks to test on sony and acer with ATI cards :) i'll report back what happens... (note this will only be with open source radeon/radeonhd driver) ... I also have my eye on one of these laptops :)

vishalrao said:
@phoenix, im planning to go back to croma carrying ubuntu live usb sticks to test on sony and acer with ATI cards :) i'll report back what happens... (note this will only be with open source radeon/radeonhd driver) ... I also have my eye on one of these laptops :)

I'll be waiting for your pearls of knowledge. :)

BTW which Croma do you go to? The one on Sholapur highway or the one near Viman Nagar ? I used to be in AFMC so I used to hang out around Magarpatta city quite often and Croma used to be real close by. :)

vishalrao said:

Hmm interesting to see shopkeepers allowing users to test the system. I havent found such flexible shops to allow me to use live usb, its a great opportunity to test the hardware before buying :)

Gaurish said:
Nvidia works flawlessly after installing proprietary driver.

Intel works out of the work no need to install any drivers

Nvidia nouveau should support 2D out of the box :)

If you have a really old nvidia hardware I think you should be happy with the nouveau itself :D

@phoenix and @archish: went to the sholapur road croma.. though buying is probably better from other ones where there are less customers to get good discounts :D

and, they didnt exactly ALLOW me to boot ubuntu linux (i didnt ask) - i quietly inserted the pen drive and rebooted with fingers crossed nobody stopped me...

but i had the wrong pen drive, will try it again this evening... but these are bright red corsair voyager GTs now haha

went back to croma with old beta1 sticks , looks like ati radeon open source driver "works" barely meaning i get a few effects like fade in fade out which i dont see for nouveau but no KMS or desktop effects... :(

btw i just went ahead and booted the laptops into ubuntu without asking anyone's permission in croma, actually since i bought a laptop recently and told them i might buy a second one (the sony) the guys there dont bother me... :D

BTW KUBUNTU UPDATE:

See https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/2010-March/004228.html

They are finally going to choose a Kubuntu new logo so looks like Beta2 will have kubuntu plymouth theme finally...

See the choices: kubuntu-logos.png - imgX

Aladdin said:
Downloaded Beta 2 yesterday. It failed miserably while installing grub. :(
Will download the final version only.
I've been lucky, beta working flawlessly for me, perhaps because of my plain-jane hardware. Its just the button positioning that's causing grief...

Got the latest beta today, will be doing a fresh install tonight(hopefully).

Will I be able to update to the latest version directly from the Beta or will I have to re-install ?

Also, has anyone figured out how to change button placement ?

If you allow the daily updates to flow in a day or before the final release your system should be actually the final version. But nothing beats a fresh installed copy :p

Back