Linux Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Discussion Thread

vishalrao said:
What bugs? I dont see no bugs? All works well for me :p

There are some major bugs in Ubuntu . For example official support is provided for Evdo devices in Network Manager but it is buggy . Many bug reports were filed , but the issue is yet to be fixed . Hope they sort these issues out in Lucid .

Yes, 9.10 was a disaster IMO too. BTW just recently an Indian Ubuntu developer posted a patch to fix Reliance device with network manager :) Lucid should be much much better I am confident!

BTW, I modifed the default Plymouth theme to add a spinning logo!

Check it out:

[youtube]dZuWdMsIed8[/youtube]

The patch to the script file is here:

Code:
--- ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.script      2010-03-20 14:13:32.954553786 +0530

+++ ubuntu-logo-spin/ubuntu-logo-spin.script    2010-03-20 14:06:35.967054380 +0530

@@ -145,12 +145,25 @@ logo.y = Window.GetHeight (0) / 2 - logo

logo.z = 1000;

logo.sprite.SetX (logo.x);

logo.sprite.SetY (logo.y);

-logo.sprite.SetY (logo.z);

+logo.sprite.SetZ (logo.z);

logo.sprite.SetOpacity (1);
 # Spacing below the logo - in pixels

logo_spacing = logo.height * 4;
+cof.image = Image ("ubuntu_logo_cof.png"); # "special://logo" is a special keyword which finds the logo image

+cof.sprite = Sprite ();

+cof.sprite.SetImage (cof.image);

+cof.width = cof.image.GetWidth ();

+cof.height = cof.image.GetHeight ();

+cof.x = logo.x + logo.width;

+cof.y = logo.y;

+cof.z = 1000;

+cof.sprite.SetX (cof.x);

+cof.sprite.SetY (cof.y);

+cof.sprite.SetZ (cof.z);

+cof.sprite.SetOpacity (1);

+

message_notification[0].image = ImageToTintedText ("");

message_notification[1].image = ImageToTintedText ("");

fsck_notification.image = ImageToActionText ("");

@@ -175,6 +188,11 @@ fun draw_logo () {

logo.sprite.SetY (logo.y);

logo.sprite.SetZ (logo.z);

logo.sprite.SetOpacity (1);

+    

+    cof.sprite.SetX (cof.x);

+    cof.sprite.SetY (cof.y);

+    cof.sprite.SetZ (cof.z);

+    cof.sprite.SetOpacity (1);

}

@@ -300,6 +318,11 @@ fun animate_progress_indicator (progress

#            opacity += 0.1;

#        }

#    }

+

+    rot = Math.Pi * progress;

+    cof.sprite.SetImage (cof.image.Rotate(rot));

+    

+    draw_logo();

}

I stole and modified the images from the new Ubuntu branding wiki page :D

Wow, just got an Acer Aspire 5740 (Core i3 330M with onboard Intel gfx) and every freaking thing works right on booting the beta1 10.04 (k)ubuntu images!!!

Desktop effects, wifi, special buttons, bluetooth... you name it, it all worked right on the first boot :D

And best part of all, check this screenshot:

jockey.png

Just checked System Monitor and it also shows all 4 hyperthreads (2 cores / 2 threads each) :)

yes, i think they removed gimp in favour of some video editor like pitivi or something... :) i think its a good decision because the other build in photo/picture viewers can also do simple tasks like resizing and uploading to flickr/picasa etc...

btw dark star... ubuntu 10.04 recently got ATI catalyst driver, can you test (both open source "radeon" and "catalyst fglrx" drivers) and report back on your hardware?

phoenix884844 was asking whether this would work on acer model with ATI card and im not 100% sure... intel onboard gfx works flawlessly...

though i am yet to try HD/fullHD video playback (HD works on Win7 havent tried fullHD there yet either)...

I installed beta 1 yesterday and somehow audio is not working and the volume slider is greyed out in notification area. I may need to search and install fresh drivers. Apart from that, the UI looks reallly fresh though it took some time to get used to mac like control buttons.

vishalrao said:
Wow, just got an Acer Aspire 5740 (Core i3 330M with onboard Intel gfx) and every freaking thing works right on booting the beta1 10.04 (k)ubuntu images!!!

Desktop effects, wifi, special buttons, bluetooth... you name it, it all worked right on the first boot :D

And best part of all, check this screenshot:

jockey.png

Just checked System Monitor and it also shows all 4 hyperthreads (2 cores / 2 threads each) :)

This same with all modern hardware these days on Linux. it pretty works out of the box

Not with all hardware, like wifi, sound, graphics, they (drivers) can still give you problems depending on the brand/model :D

Wow! Have they fed steroids to Lucid Lynx or what? I installed beta 1 on my now ancient Acer 5920 (2008 model) and it was up and running in 12 minutes flat.

Previous Ubuntu installations have always taken more than 20 minutes, so this was lightening quick. All my hardware is running smoothly.

Now I can't decide whether I liked Pidgin better or the current Empathy native integration better.

I seem to like empathy integration since everything works - even twitter/identica thru gwibber, (facebook too!) :) But overall I use Kubuntu coz I prefer KDE these days...(kopete works super too)

I really like Lucid Lynx too and I think Microsoft will be doomed pretty soon on the desktop :D At least for me personally MS Windows is OUT THE DOOR and ubuntu bug # 1 is basically FIXED for me haha!

@Vishal Sir

Even with lack of support for your iPod touch? :p

OK one thing that has been bugging me since I started using Ubuntu is that the microphone does not work. It never has. Any ideas?

Ubuntu One Music Store is another exciting thing about Lucid :)

phoenix844884 said:
@Vishal Sir
Even with lack of support for your iPod touch? :p

OK one thing that has been bugging me since I started using Ubuntu is that the microphone does not work. It never has. Any ideas?

Well you missed the earlier posts that iPod Touch is working for many people even without jailbreaking. I tried a few weeks ago and almost worked but some NULL pointer bugs, I saw some updates so will try it again and report back by this weekend :)

Microphone not working - have you tried going to sound properties and unmuting the device and also raising the input level ?

vishalrao said:
Ubuntu One Music Store is another exciting thing about Lucid :)
Well you missed the earlier posts that iPod Touch is working for many people even without jailbreaking. I tried a few weeks ago and almost worked but some NULL pointer bugs, I saw some updates so will try it again and report back by this weekend :)

Oh I saw those posts. And its not that iPods don't work or are not recognized on Linux. What scares me, and with all the right reasons, is that Rhythmbox screws up my music collection in a grand fashion. That is the only reason why I am afraid of even syncing my music collection in Rhythmbox.
vishalrao said:
Microphone not working - have you tried going to sound properties and unmuting the device and also raising the input level ?

Damn! The one time I forget doing that to check my microphone...... and it works! Never before has my microphone worked with Ubuntu.
Experience with Lucid Lynx so far -
* Refreshing new look
* Faster than ever before (if that was even possible)
* Better and cleaner way of installing software. Installs selected applications one by one and shows individual progress bars
* Software availability and repositories have been expanded (which is good for the user community)
* Far better hardware compatibility than its predecessors

Overall rating - 9.5/10 (taking away half a point because of a number of crashes right after installation, but as I have been using and tweaking it, those crashes have disappeared altogether)

Things are working perfectly :) Composite out of the box with Open source driver stack. Didn't expected such feast with Ubuntu 10.04 specially it comes with Xserver 1.7 :p

Anyway things are pretty robust except efw crashes here and there. Have yet to test the HD5450 in it :p Currently on HD3300.

I had been waiting eagerly for the next Ubuntu LTS, but they seems to have screwed this one up too. Seems mark shuttleworth has taken a sudden liking to the steve jobs approach to product development.

So long ubuntu :| I'm switching to another distro when I upgrade

Back