Uber charged me €246 for a trip I never took

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
I just signed into my uber account and got a notification for a €246 charge in Paris.

PoEdK82.png

Turns out that it is a known issue:
Uber Users Say They're Being Charged for Trips They Didn't Take

I have written to Uber, lets see what they say. Otherwise, ill dispute it with my credit card provider.

Last edited:
With that above amount, I guess i can travel to my office a Full month in a Uber Sedan.

On a serious note, This is really bad. Such things Doesn't encourage users to use CC. :(

I just signed into my uber account and got a notification for a €246 charge in Paris.
Turns out that it is a known issue:
Uber Users Say They're Being Charged for Trips They Didn't Take

I have written to Uber, lets see what they say. Otherwise, ill dispute it with my credit card provider.
Why wait for them to reply. You know its a fraud charge on your card. Raise it today with your (Card) Bank and ask them to reverse the charge. Meanwhile you can keep following up with Uber. I would also encourage to report that card as stolen and request the bank to issue a new card.

This is exactly the reason why I have never used cards on the Uber app. I always pay cash as my bills are never more than 500 per ride.

Good for you. But what exactly happened ?
Someone got hold of your Uber credentials or they have your card details also or is it both??
Its insane how easily these companies get hacked. PayTM, Uber, Sony. Its ridiculous.

I think uber's servers were compromised. If my card was, he could have used it anywhere, no need to use it in uber.

Also I signed up for uber via g+ and not via the normal registration and I have 2 factor authentication enabled on Google so uber can be the only culprit.

To answer the other questions, the reason I have cc added is because paytm doesn't work outside India and I was in Europe (not France) last month. And the reason I didn't raise a charge back straightaway is because the cc company gives the merchant 2 days to claim the transaction, so this transaction won't be reflected at all in the statement. You can only raise the charge back after 2 days.

I just opened Uber app on my phone and it asked to enter an authcode sent by SMS, so I guess they are trying extra security. I tried to delete my payment info and it says "You cannot delete the only remaining payment option on file" - B*ST*RDS! My mistake for ever entering my details in the app :D

@manu1991 So you were never to Paris, and yet you got charged? Awesome!

BTW, do keep an eye on your statement. Uber might refund you the amount, but your bank might still levy you the conversion charges. You might lose a few hundreds for no fault of yours. Ask Uber to refund that too.

I just opened Uber app on my phone and it asked to enter an authcode sent by SMS, so I guess they are trying extra security. I tried to delete my payment info and it says "You cannot delete the only remaining payment option on file" - B*ST*RDS! My mistake for ever entering my details in the app :D
Google for VISA test card nos. Enter that in your Uber app. And delete the real ones. :)

LOL ok let me try that ... I previously tried editing the expiry date/CVV but it failed to update - they must be checking the validity anyway.

@manu1991 So you were never to Paris, and yet you got charged? Awesome!

BTW, do keep an eye on your statement. Uber might refund you the amount, but your bank might still levy you the conversion charges. You might lose a few hundreds for no fault of yours. Ask Uber to refund that too.
Looks like you were right.

S9cne7h.png

They have given me 1000 rs as Uber credit. I guess I'll let it be. Anyways I do use it occasionally.

I like the fact that their support is super quick. Each time I got a response within 30 minutes. And every time the query was resolved in one go.

On a similar note, few days back I got email from Bank of America that they have flagged one of my transaction done at a Dollar General store in Georgia state. I don't even live in Georgia. I called them and told it is a fraud transaction and they also refunded the amount transacted ($56) and gave me a new card.

Back