User Guides Tutorial : Create Urban Style Artwork/Wallpaper using Gimp

Tutorial : Create Urban Style Artwork/Wallpaper using Gimp

Twentieth Century has brought some tremendous change in the lifestyle of people.. After Technology , the field that has witnessed complete makeover is Fashion.. Whether its dressing up yourself ,home, or your desktop.. the design has gained a total new facelift.. From Auqa , to Aurora to Waves to Aero Style and now to Grungy and Urban Style.. Yes Urban style is the talk of the town these days.. You can notice these style in advertisements, cartoons, dresses, wallpapers and everywhere.. All these style are result of Digital Art..

You can easily create Urban/Grungy style artwork/wallpaper .. Though it looked tough at first sight but its the most easiest artwork to learn and create. Thanks to Vector Brushes..

Urban%20Style%20Preview.png

There are several ways to create Urban Style artwork .. You can make it from Scratch like in this Tutorial that I posted.. http://www.techenclave.com/guides-a...reate-simple-funky-wallpaper-gimp-108968.html Or you can ease you work by using versatile Vector brushes..

Photoshop user are well aware of Urban/grungy style artwork.. But like my previous Tutorial I will use my favourite GFX program I.e. THE GIMP to create Urban Style Artwork..

Before we get started you will need the following things pre-installed to perform this Tutorial :-
  1. THE GIMP : GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
  2. Vector Brushes : Vecotrs.rar
  3. Splatter Brushes : Splatter Brushes by =ka05 on deviantART
To Install the brushes first Install GIMP , Linux users no need to install as all GNU/Linux comes with pre-installed GIMP.. I would recommend the latest stable version 2.4.6 ..After you installed navigate to Gimp directory ..

• Linux User : /home/<user-name>/.gimp/brushes/
  • Windows User : X:/Program Files/Gimp/Brushes
Paste the .abr files there and start GIMP.. Note : You can install Photoshop brushes in Gimp ..

So lets get started : -

1. Open Gimp and Create a new project .. with resolution of 2560 X 1600 or 1600 X1200 depending upon what resolution you have.. If you have a 4:3 Monitor then create 1600 X 1200 else 2560X1600 .. You can re size the wallpaper after you create it ..

2. Set the Foreground Color to #1b3a7a and Background Color to #4c9fcf.

3. Select the Gradient Tool from Tool Menu Or press L .. Under Settings option Set the Gradient to FG to BG.

Gradient.png

4. Apply The Gradient in the Background Layer from Top to Bottom ...Press CTRL while applying the Gradient to make it straight.

5. Now create a new Transparent Layer and Name it to “New Layer†or “Characterâ€

6. Select The Paint Brush from the Tool bar or Press 'P' . Under Brushes settings, change the Brush type to Jumping_People_Brush and scale it to

1.40. You can even select a different character according to your taste.

Screenshot-2.png

7. Apply the Brush at the Bottom Centre of the “Character Layerâ€. Make sure the FG Color is set to black.

Screenshot-3.png

8. Create a New Transparent Layer and rename it Grass.

Select the Paintbrush and change the brush to Vector pack_VOL2_brushes_ set the scale to 1.96.

Screenshot-4.png

10. Set the FG color to White and apply the grass at the bottom of the Grass Layer.. The Right End of the Vector Grass brush is straight so to avoid wall like structure adjust the height of grass such that the right straight part get covered..

Screenshot-5.png

11. Select the Brushes to Butterflies and create some Butterflies using Vector Flies brushes.

Screenshot-6.png

Create a new transparent layer and rename it to Sun Ray. Set the FG Color to White.Pick the Paintbrush and set the brush to Vector_by_PhysicalMagiz.abr , scale it to 2.71..

Screenshot-7.png

13. Apply this bush at the centre and set the layer mode to Overlay..

Screenshot-8.png

14. Now we will add some cool clouds/splashy texture in the picture.. To do this create a new transparent layer and name it Clouds..

15. Select the Paintbrush and set the Brush to 387_Abstract_Vector_Brush . Set the scale to 1.12.

Screenshot-9.png

16. Apply the Brush as shown ..

Screenshot-10.png

Now its the main part .. From now on we will add cool vector style to make our wallpaper funky .. Please note that most of the Vector Brushes have same name so you have to see the Screenshot to identify the exact brush.

18. Create a new layer and name it Vectors.

19. Select the Paintbrush and set the brush to 387_Abstract_Brush , scale it to 1.72.

Screenshot-16.png

20. Apply it on the left side of the Vector layer as shown.

Screenshot-17.png

21. Again pick up the paintbrush and change the brush to Vector_pack_Vol2 , scale it to 1.10.

Screenshot-18.png

22. Apply it on the right side of the Vector layer as shown..

Screenshot-19.png

23. Now we will decorate the Circle on the Left ... To do this change the brush to 387_Abstract_brush and scale it to 0.73.

Screenshot-20.png

24. Apply the Brush on the lower part of the bigger circle as shown.

Screenshot-21.png

25. Change the brush to Vector2.abr-011 and scale it to 2.34 .

Screenshot-22.png

26. Apply the Brush on the Upper part of the Bigger Circle as shown.

Screenshot-23.png

27. Lower down the Scale of the Same brush to 1.10 and apply it to Right side near the Small Circle..

Screenshot-25.png

28. Change the Brush to VectorPack_vol2_brush and VectorPack_VOL2_brush scale it to 0.18 and 0.39 respectively.

Screenshot-26.png
Screenshot-27.png

29. Apply the brushes as shown in the Screenshot..

Screenshot-28.png

30 . Again change the brush to Vector_Brush_set01 and scale it to 0.39 ..

Screenshot-29.png

31. Apply The Brush to Left Circle as shown..

Screenshot-30.png

32. Now pick the regular brush .. Select the Circle (15) Brush .. Set the Maximum Scale to 2.79

Screenshot-31.png

33. Varying the scale apply the brush randomly at different part as shown..This will provide the dirty look to our wallpaper.

Screenshot-32.png

Now we will add another big Circle .. No need to create a new layer.. Using the same layer , change the brush to 387_Abstract_Brush , set the scale to 2.09.

Screenshot-33.png

35. Apply the Brush just above the big circle on the left side.

Screenshot-34.png

36. We will repeat the decoration part . But this time we will change the brushes used to provide unique looks.

37. Change the brushes to 387_Abstract , 387_Abstract_Brushes, Vector2.abr-011. Set the scale to 0.62, 0.58, 1.17 simultaneously.. Use the listed brushes one by one..

Screenshot-35.png
Screenshot-36.png
Screenshot-37.png

38. Apply the brushes and decorate the new circle as shown..

Screenshot-38.png

39. Now we will use the regular Circle (15) brush to decorate.. Set the Maximum Scale to 2.79.

Varying the scale apply the brush randomly at different part as shown..

Screenshot-39.png

41. Pick the Ribbon shaped Vector brush named Vectorpack_Vol2_Brushes, set the scale to 1.47.

Screenshot-40.png

42. Apply the brushes at the corner of the Vector Layer..

Screenshot-41.png

43. Change the brush to the following ..

Screenshot-42.png

44. Apply the brush the Top Centre of the Layer Vector..

Screenshot-43.png

45. We are almost done.. Now select the Layer 'Clouds' .. Pick the 387_Abstract_Brush and set the scale to 1.0/. Apply the brush to upper corners as shown..

Screenshot-45.png

..... Its done. You have created Funky looking Urban Style Wallpaper. You can use different Vector Brushes to add more spice to your wallpaper. Just make sure you vary the scale and the brush type to provide a unique looks..

Its so easy.. You can also create similar wallpaper w/o using Vector brushes as described in this tutorial http://www.techenclave.com/guides-a...reate-simple-funky-wallpaper-gimp-108968.html .. .. I have created multiple wallpapers using similar technique..

Urban%20Girl%20Preview.png
Contaminated%20Bravo%20Preview.png

The former is pretty similar to the one described in the tutorial while the latter is a whole new style created from Scratch :p The latter is in 4:3 resolution for CRT and low end LCD users..

Download HD PNG Wallpaper Pack : Blue Urban Art Wallpaper Pack 16: 9 WS | Dancing Urban Girl Pack 16:9 WS | Contaminate Bravo Wallpaper Pack 4:3 Normal

Download the .XCF of all the above listed Urban Wallpapers : Urban Artwork Xcf.zip

That's it for now !

Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Regards Darky ;)

Wow mayn. . . U are unbelievibly the most contributing member of TE :p
I just love how u write the reviews in so easy to understand language .

Nice review mayn!
Repped+
Ps: if possible,plz post the 320x240 version of the wallpapers too!
Thanx!

Dark Star said:
Thanks :) Here you go ..For mobile 320X240 download this zip Mobile Wallpaper Set.zip

Arey yar . .
The mobile is held vertically na. . .thats y i need something for that sort. And thats y i requested u for the mobile version . . I cud've resized them myself. .
Plz make me the vertical version (or whatever u call it) of these awesome wallies . .
Thanx da,
Arihant

Very nice job Dark Star... was it supposed to look a little like the ipod style artwork ? :p

I have been spreading the reps... but it still does not seem to be enough :p

I learnt it by myself :p I keep on watching PP and other artist using PS and creating great every candy stuff :p I never get abc of PS .. Its just too complicated for me :p So I thought of learning Gimp ..:)_Its just all by myself :p

Back