Budget 0-20k Trying to bring an old i7 928 back to life on a DFI LANPARTY x58

Hi folks,
How are you all ? A very happy new year to all

1st of , it has been a very very long time since my last activity here at TE, I used to be a regular TE fanboi like 6-7 years back. I was out of IT for a long time and hence the absence...but today I need help of veterans here who have used the DFI LANPARTY UT X58 boards.

Ok, so my old i5 on a DFI dk P55 board isn't working anymore and nether is my old 8800 gt ...I wish to build a new rig with the least expenses....

I have a few of the DFI Lanparty boards still in stock with me , so My 1st attempt is at using either of them with an old i7 928 that i have got from a friend..but when I try to boot this setup my board shows error CF on the debug led.

I looked up about it and it says either my BIOS is corrupt or I have incompatible memory ( i am using old ExcelRam 2x2 pc3-12800 1.65v ) i tried other ram as well but same result...
I then tried to boot it without the ram to check if the error changes but it still goes direct to CF on debug led.

I wish to know if this ram is not compatible or which ram is...i am going to test a Corsair Vengeance 4gb stick today ( borrowed from a friend )if that setup works then its all good.

Or If the bios is corrupt , how do i flash it ( remember i can't get the pc to boot )

OR last option is to build a new rig with the newer cpu's and mobo's ....
So it bring me to my final query -->

What motherboard and cpu and ram should I buy today?
my usage is mainly gaming ( dota 2 , few hours a week ) some designing (my wife works occasionally on corel , photoshop and other designing s/w )

I don't mind an AMD FX setup if that is cheaper :p

** The components that I have already :

^ Cabinet -- Lian LI PC A70 F
^ PSU -- Corsair HX 620
^ Ram -- ExcelRam 2x2 gb pc3 12800
a few HDD's

Components that I will need new :
^ RAM
^ CPU
^ MOBO
^ Gfx card
And maybe a SSD

please help, I would really want to use the x58 setup...that DFi board looks wow !! and i can't spend enough today to get that kind of board ....

OC Rig
Budget -53K

Intel Core i5 6600K -18000,
Gigabyte GA-Z170-D3H -11500,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -3500,
Zotac GTX1050 Ti 4GB Mini -12500,
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD -7500.
TOTAL -53,000.

Non-OC Rig
Budget -46K

Intel Core i5 6500 -15000,
Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H -7500,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -3500,
Zotac GTX1050 Ti 4GB Mini -12500,
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD -7500.
TOTAL -46,000.

@cOOl_chap forgot the i7 as it is very old gen and it is hard to get x58 board these day cause it is not reliability so better update to latest gen like 6 or 7 gen as what bssunilreddy suggest it or get better graphic card 1060 gtx

The error "CF" says it's either corrupt Bios or incompatible memory..

I tried the triple channel ram, it didn't work with it either.... So I am sure it's corrupt Bios.
I have given the boards to a local repair guy who said he could re write the bios. So I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

I really want to use that dfi board :) that flame freezer and the Bernstein audio card with that UV board... Its all tempting.

I did sell a few of those boards here on TE as well.

BTW what does CF debug led indicates???

Back