To sell the expensive SE, iPhone prices hiked by 29%

NEW DELHI: Apple has increased prices of iPhones in India. The surprise revision in retail prices comes at a time when the company's new device SE got a poor response and managed to sell only a few thousand units. And, the hike is as steep as 29% for the iPhone 6 device.

Sources said Apple decided to withdraw some of the discounts offered in January-March 2016 period. "It was felt that SE, which was criticized for having a 'high price tag', will not be able to see much traction if prices of bigger-sized iPhone 6 and 6S devices are not corrected. So, the decision was taken to revise the price upwards," a source said.

While 16GB version of 4-inch SE made its debut at Rs 39,000, a similar specced (16GB) version of iPhone 6 is available at Rs 31,000 and 6S at Rs 40,500. "After the revision, iPhone 6 costs Rs 40,000 and 6S comes for Rs 48,000. We are trying to build a healthy buffer," the source added.

The company also decided to tinker with pricing of iPhone 5S, making it costlier by 22% to nearly Rs 22,000 against Rs 18,000 at present. Apple has also come out with corporate offers and EMI plans to push sales.

Apple recently held a meeting with top executives and key distributors in India, especially in view of the launch of SE. "The stock of SE was in any case kept at a low level," a source said. "A strategy is being worked out to pitch the device more effectively."

A potential source of worry for Apple could be a good response to Samsung for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge smartphones. After launching in March, Samsung managed to sell nearly twice the numbers achieved by the previous-generation models in the same period.

"Another problem for SE in India is the small screen size. Indians are increasingly buying larger screen-sized phones, even at the lower-end of the market. A lot of data is consumed on smart devices and smaller ones do not find much favour with buyers," a source said.

Source

Well done apple, well done. The recruiting of graduates from IIN are bearing fruits.

^^ Used by Apple to maintain their brand name and by Samsung to build theirs. And its a ploy that works well in a country like India.

Still iPhone's seems to have lost their novelty factor. There are other equally costly devices and any other alternative would be more functional. These days, I have seen iPhone's mostly in the hands of our cab drivers than my colleagues.

quite a bad move , Iphone SE anyway wont have many takers. Now they are reducing sales of their Iphone 6 and 5Sas well by hikng prices too much

Well done apple, well done. The recruiting of graduates from IIN are bearing fruits.
How long for ;) anyone here gonna keep track..

It would seem only direct competitors to the SE have been affected so 6 & 6s. Like when the 5c it was better to go with the 5s.

The plus prices remain unchanged from what i can tell.

Does it even matter at this point? iPhone's were never a meaningful purchase for those who wanted worth for their money. They collected a user base that is meant to be milked by Apple and Co and it doesn't make much difference if they milk a more in each iteration.

This is absolutely true.

I mean yeah, its a shady move but at this point its basically like stealing from the rich or stupid. Who cares? You deserve what you get.

Nicely complimented by dropping iPhone sales. I somehow feel that the premium associated with iPhone is long gone. Every other phone I see in Bangalore has the half bitten apple logo patched to it.
And Nerds, another ball game - They associated iPhone to dumbs, as they tend to be freakin simple and plain (call 'em vanilla forever).

Apple still has $233 billion in the bank. Sales dropping for the first time in so many years isn't a big deal.

You're right about iphones being more visible. When they had the open street initiative on mg road i was surprised by the number of iphones i saw. The others were sammy's

Apple still has $233 billion in the bank. Sales dropping for the first time in so many years isn't a big deal.

You're right about iphones being more visible. When they had the open street initiative on mg road i was surprised by the number of iphones i saw. The others were sammy's
I contradict. It was iPhone and Others. They all look same and same and same.

Still they continued to hit home runs on every ball. Nine years in a row,any ways this time around the sales are usually low for ios devices and Apple had predicted the same last quarter. China is a tough market for them to compete with VIVO,Meizu,OPPO,XIAOMI etc players.

Still they continued to hit home runs on every ball. Nine years in a row,any ways this time around the sales are usually low for ios devices and Apple had predicted the same last quarter. China is a tough market for them to compete with VIVO,Meizu,OPPO,XIAOMI etc players.
India is getting super tough with near buy China offloading their goods here apart from inhouse brands. I think Apple needs to go to Africa and show that they're still growing. They've almost milked all the apple fantic's in the world.

For people who want to buy Apple (for whatever reasons* best known to them), this will hardly deter.

*Actually it is well known that a person spends money on only two things:
a) thing that has utility value: usually spent bare minimum
b) thing that gives pleasure: usually spend as much as possible

The bubble seems to be bursting at last, they've built unreal sales expectations over the years without taking into consideration the stagnation and saturation of the global smartphone market.
Not everyone wants a $700 phone upgrade every year especially when there are a ton of devices capable of performing the same tasks at half the price, it's only going downhill if they continue to take decisions like this and the rumored dropping of the 3.5mm jack on the next iteration.

hNF942b.jpg

The bubble seems to be bursting at last, they've built unreal sales expectations over the years without taking into consideration the stagnation and saturation of the global smartphone market.
Not everyone wants a $700 phone upgrade every year especially when there are a ton of devices capable of performing the same tasks at half the price, it's only going downhill if they continue to take decisions like this and the rumored dropping of the 3.5mm jack on the next iteration.
Don't worry I am sure they will come up with some iCrap and people will stand for day and night in the queue just to get their dirty paws on it.
Apple has spun a superb yarn.

India is getting super tough with near buy China offloading their goods here apart from inhouse brands. I think Apple needs to go to Africa and show that they're still growing. They've almost milked all the apple fantic's in the world.
Apple have applied for a license to sell second hand phones in India. They have a deal in the west where they will buy back last years phone and sell you the latest one. Where will last years phones end up ? here and other 'emerging' markets.

Refurbs which will cost less than brand new.

Most likely will do the same in China.

Back