Storage Solutions This is what I call : The Hdd's revenge.

"I have been doing my job fine till date. Everyday you write on me, everyday you read off me. Give me some life. Give me a partner. Give me a load bearer is all I ask thy; you have not felt for me one single day, ah! recently yes, but its time I teach you a lesson, for which you will pay a VERY HEAVY price."

I'm sure this is what my hard drive had to say for me. So have been saving for a few months now, and 'tomorrow' I was all set to get a redundant hard drive for some data backups. Well the word 'some' is heavily low standard here. Nevermind. My initial backup disk died a few months back and that was the past and this is the present..

So, I return from dinner and my system was shut just 1 hour back. I power it on and go loitering around & I look back and its stuck on the Detecting stage, where it detects for the hard drives. My nasty ear drums hear a noise, on hearing which I turn cold, a chill runs thru my spine, I get goosebumps and neurons take a pause. In distress and agony, I say, "No baby, no, please, please!" but I knew I was talking to something that had never gone thru a voice recognition training.

Its never wrong to be optimistic, I say, yes its my power supply going bad. I quickly unhook the other hard drive and swap the cables, the noise still having its resonance in my ear canal. In a few seconds the noise amplified and I sat in much more distress as I sit and type this.

This can happen to anyone out there. A request from a completely shattered, shaken person at the moment. Please maintain your precious data redundantly. I pay a heavy price of not getting a new backup hard drive when I should have, and this is what I call, my hard drives revenge.

Seagate 320GB Single Platter : Refuses to spin up.

Data lost : priceless.

I so wish and hope it spins up, 1 last time, that one precious push from that motor, one more precious effort from that head to roll into its place with all its remaining strength. If you can hear me, I have learnt my lesson. I was aware of this and you knew it too. Even life at times gives a second chance and all I ask from you is the same.

Everyone reading this will feel sorry for this, some will rush and take a backup, some will hope they want you to wake up, like how you were in all your glory a few hours back. Oh! please come back.

:cry:

Any members from Mumbai : Who would like to help me with a PCB swap test ?

Seagate 320 GB - Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320813AS

I think i'm a victim of this - http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/seagate-7200-11s-failing-126307.html :no:

Tell you what... Take it out... Put it a airtight plastic bag... Put it in the freezer for an hour and fire it up again... You should be able to retrieve some of your data...

I will try this when my dies.

Switch said:
Tell you what... Take it out... Put it a airtight plastic bag... Put it in the freezer for an hour and fire it up again... You should be able to retrieve some of your data...

All's not lost(nothing's happened to the platter just that the pcb/electronics of the hdd's gone bad). You can still give it for data recovery :) . You should have known by now that data backup's absolutely crucial!!!

@Rockfella : you dont really wanna do that, had i had a backup, i would be snoring into the night with ease.

Striker10 said:
All's not lost(nothing's happened to the platter just that the pcb/electronics of the hdd's gone bad). You can still give it for data recovery :) . You should have known by now that data backup's absolutely crucial!!!

i never said it wasn't. spin up issues are not related to the PCB's but the actual mechanicals afaik. If it was something to do with the pcb, the hdd wouldnt be completely dead, as in wouldnt make any effort to start up and loose out on the head movement. My bad dint express it properly, too sad right now :cry:

I even checked it with HDTUNE on *sunday* and everything was fine back then :(

Edit : I think you are right and this is definitely going to be a easiest try, am gonna try out the pcb swap for sure.

Any members from Mumbai : Who would like to help me with a PCB swap test ?

Seagate 320GB Barracuda 7200.11 | ST3320813AS

Rockfella said:
That would cost him price of 5 hdds or more buddy! :eek:

Yes, I know that by experience. Spent almost 300 euros last year on the data recovery of a hard disk containing my PhD thesis. But the data was important, so it had to be done.

our very own Amarbir Paaji runs a very reasonable data recovery service contact him.

hope you find someone in your place to do the swap test, Gannu helped me with my WD HDD swap test but it did not help either. had to RMA :(

hey!

storing the drive in the freezer for a hour works?????

should've tried it with my "already dead and sent for replacement" hitachi 2.5 inch.

the data in that more priceless than anything priceless---backups of legal documents and my final year projects.

^ waiting for a pcb donor, else will resort to all those kinda try's and fix's. i also tried the drop-flat test and that failed too :no: i mean yes thats weird as well...

I can't send in the drive for recovery. I can go *with* the drive, i.e if amarbir paji is going to give me an eyeson to see how its done. Infact I wont even RMA the disk. As a matter of fact, I have never RMA'ed my kaput hdd's, which had my data on them.

Common, please dont tell me no one on TE has a 7200.11 320 gig hdd :( :cry:, maybe i will have to put up a WTB thread for the same, someone with it might think of an upgrade.

i went thru this a year ago. lost around 250gb of downloads and work related backed up data. also there were lots of confidential info like passwords etc in one folder which was very crucial. put the hdd in the antistatic bag and frose it for around 3-4 hours in the freezer. took it out wrapped it in a big turkish towel so it remained cold and switched it on. i could recover the passwords folder and some work data after which it died. was on for about 40 mins. all this cause i was trying to save 5000 bucks on a hdd. :(

another hdd has developed bad sectors few days back and so i got a new hdd yest. already learnt my lesson very well :rofl:

Thats why I have a RAID 5 & a RAID 1 Setup at my home, everything assured available all the time.

thetechmind said:
"I have been doing my job fine till date. Everyday you write on me, everyday you read off me. Give me some life. Give me a partner. Give me a load bearer is all I ask thy; you have not felt for me one single day, ah! recently yes, but its time I teach you a lesson, for which you will pay a VERY HEAVY price.".................

woah... are you planning to write the next chetan bhagat style novel... :)

just kidding... regards neo

6pack said:
i went thru this a year ago. lost around 250gb of downloads and work related backed up data. also there were lots of confidential info like passwords etc in one folder which was very crucial. put the hdd in the antistatic bag and frose it for around 3-4 hours in the freezer. took it out wrapped it in a big turkish towel so it remained cold and switched it on. i could recover the passwords folder and some work data after which it died. was on for about 40 mins. all this cause i was trying to save 5000 bucks on a hdd. :(

another hdd has developed bad sectors few days back and so i got a new hdd yest. already learnt my lesson very well :rofl:

:no: u can understand how i feel at the moment, should i really give a go at the freezing thing ? after that did u RMA your hdd ?

axeman said:
Thats why I have a RAID 5 & a RAID 1 Setup at my home, everything assured available all the time.

its confirmed, im heading that way, to hell with my lazyness...

neomustdie said:
woah... are you planning to write the next chetan bhagat style novel... :)

just kidding... regards neo

i actually got reps for the writeup :no: i wish it was just fictitious and not a fact.

Back