Android Thinking of buying OnePlus 5? Well Don't!

Will you still buy a OnePlus device?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swatkats

Skilled
OnePlus the brand which has taken the Mid-Budget Smartphone market by Storm seems to be Showing its true colors now.

After the much known fiasco of OnePlus 2 promised Nougat update citing Absence of in house developers for OS updates.

Here are the reasons why you shoudn't buy an One plus devices in future.

No OS update guarantee after the new device launch:

Google OEM devices have a minimum OTA updates life of 2 years or if you take any Android flagship devices will get updates for at least 2 years, With iOS devices its getting better support even for a 4 year old device like 5S.

Oh Well don't forget the poor Oneplus X users who got fooled as well. Just because those two devices didn't do well, they forgot about them. shame.

But in the case of Oneplus there is no guarantee that updates for oneplus 3/3T after Android 8 update this year end will continue.

I shall be honest, Since the purchase of 3T in December last month, I'm getting security patches or constant updates till date but looks like a short period stunt. There's no OS support announcement till XYZ year from the company.
With the launch of New device, Even the Oneplus 5 might be forgotten.

If you are in to Flashing custom OS thing then no issues. Majority users won't.

Zero Credibility:

Never Settle: OnePlus dodges questions on the company's Reddit AMA

Go through the article and perhaps the actual Reddit AMA. The company dodged many important questions about updates, Support for older devices etc.

Screen issues on Oneplus 5 & Gimmicky Camera:

Jelly effect while using scrolling down. Issue acknowledged. Solution date unknown.

http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_o..._a_jello_effect_when_scrolling-news-25885.php

Overpriced devices:

Going by the math of Chinese manufacturers like Mi who make profits by pricing low. The price of 3T should be reduced by now but they choose not to.

As the time passes by and age of the chip from the date of launch increases the cost decreases. They're not interested in passing that buck to the customer and instead try to milk them.

Coming to OnePlus 5.. The device (base model) price tag when compared to US pricing is at least Rs 1,500 higher, You might say Custom duty on imported devices but the fact remains that they're being assembled in India. So that argument stands void.

- Just for a Little upgrade of Gimmick camera which has got average reviews and a definitely better processor but not that remarkable (Except some 10% battery life difference & Less heating). This phone doesn't deserve a price tag of 33,000. Period

Hype and Under-deliver:

So much of Hype.. OMG.. I thought Samsung would be down to its knees this year but then i remembered mockery poster title "Phata poster, Nikla Zero"

They want to match Samsung and iPhone in Benchmarks fooling people to make them believe that their devices are Faster compared to the current devices. BS.

The hype around Oneplus needs to die and the proper Device like Oneplus One or 3T should only come out and the cloned and copied one's shouldn't , for which you need not to be mocked by iFans.

Other relevant points have been spoken in this video:

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic lol. When they first launched OP they supposedly broke away from OPPO and the mainstream industry and were supposed to be something revolutionary. Like Kejriwal.

They did have extremely well specced products for much cheaper than the mainstream. Kinda like Kejri again. And now they suck ! lol[DOUBLEPOST=1498761602][/DOUBLEPOST]overall i would rate OP better than Mi though, but some of the bugs their phones have had were truly devastating. In any case Mi never portrayed themselves as giant killers etc.

nice article if u wrote it all. keep it up[DOUBLEPOST=1498936281][/DOUBLEPOST]i just read that reddit thread and the company seems to be getting roasted . lol .

Last edited:
Android subreddit turns into warzone sometimes. Essentially there are 2 major camps, one that hypes up all the Chinese phones and another that doesn't.

I belong to the second group btw :p

Totally agree on the updates issue. The difference between OP3/T and OP5 appear miniscule. Before the launch of OP5, I was regretting my purchase of OP3T a few months ago. But now I'm totally fine with it. :p
Even so, I consider OP much more reliable (in terms of hardware and service) and easy to use (almost vanilla Android) than the likes of Xiaomi. They stormed the market with the promise of VFM top spec devices - something that very few devices can boast about. They should try and remain relevant in that market.

No OS update guarantee after the new device launch:

Huh? I'm still getting updates for my OnePlus 3 regularly. Even if they stop it right away, that's a years worth of updates. Not many (if any) companies support their handsets with software updates after a year. Most companies which do give updates (Apple, Moto etc) make their devices slower after installing these updates.

I'd definitely like them to release security patches regularly.

Zero Credibility:

Agreed. They should definitely improve their communication.

Screen issues on Oneplus 5 & Gimmicky Camera:

Most people can't even see it. I wouldn't call this a major issue.

Overpriced devices:

Snapdragon 835, 6GB RAM, 64GB storage, Sony IMX398 sensor. Unless I'm missing something that's top of the line specs. Which other phone gives you that kind of hardware for a lower price?

Hype and Under-deliver:

You don't want a company to advertise? OnePlus today is a known brand only because of the hype.

I cant believe people are comparing the issues of the OP5 to the iPhone and Apple saga or whatever. There is a night and day difference between the OP5 and iPhone in terms of software, updates, and after sales service

All that ram and it still cant compete with an iPhone in opening apps faster and keeping them in memory when it has 70% more of it.
Not to mention the sub-par camera despite having two, it still isn't good enough to compete with the top phones ....absolute gimmick!

And an inverted display and inverted audio, lmao, do they just skip the quality assurance step and go directly to boxing the phone for shipping? Lol

And it costs almost as much as the iPhone now nearly at 40K for the 8GB model which is virtually the same as the entry level with no screen size difference or better resolution display etc. Total Crap.

Started from the bottom now we're here, 20k then 25k then 30k+ and now 40K...whats next a 50k OP6? hahahaha. Sometimes you just have to Lol at these "flagship killer" android phones!

Their new motto - Never settle on the price!

All that ram and it still cant compete with an iPhone in opening apps faster and keeping them in memory when it has 70% more of it.
Not to mention the sub-par camera despite having two, it still isn't good enough to compete with the top phones ....absolute gimmick!

LOLWUT? keeping apps in memory? I have an iPad Air 2 and it can't store more than 3-4 apps in the memory before it refreshes. My OP3 at last count didn't refresh after even having 10 apps open at the same time. As for opening apps faster, games optimized will definitely run faster on iPhones. That's like comparing the game loading time on a PC and a console. The PC may have 32GB RAM but will still open some games slower than their console counterpart.

And an inverted display and inverted audio, lmao, do they just skip the quality assurance step and go directly to boxing the phone for shipping? Lol
The inverted display was to save space for the capacitive buttons. Inverted audio is a simple software fix.

And it costs almost as much as the iPhone now nearly at 40K for the 8GB model which is virtually the same as the entry level with no screen size difference or better resolution display etc. Total Crap.
Again! LOLWUT! The cheapest iphone 7 plus 128GB is ~80K MRP which is double that of an OP5.

Started from the bottom now we're here, 20k then 25k then 30k+ and now 40K...whats next a 50k OP6? hahahaha. Sometimes you just have to Lol at these "flagship killer" android phones!

Pricing is definitely higher but they've invested in a lot of different areas than when they started. Physical stores, service centers, ads, etc cost money. Can't do all that with wafer thin margins.

I am still waiting for Nougat for OP2 which is just 2 year old. Can't believe the explanation given by them

Thank God, I've XDA

Op3/T will get frequent update for an year and then no one knows the fate..

OnePlus One was a true flag ship killer. And what the company said made sense at that time. For e.g. a Samsung S4 costs around $250 to manufacture and it is sold for $600 because a lot of money is spent on advertising. OnePlus is able to sell its product at a lower cost (which is as competition) because it saves a lot of money in advertising and passes one this benefit to its consumers.
The low cost of the product was the major factor for its success.

But their future products started getting costlier and they have started a lot advertising and even got Amitabh Bachchan as brand ambassador. They are moving away from their own principles

At the current prices, they products are not very appealing.

OnePlus One was a true flag ship killer. And what the company said made sense at that time. For e.g. a Samsung S4 costs around $250 to manufacture and it is sold for $600 because a lot of money is spent on advertising. OnePlus is able to sell its product at a lower cost (which is as competition) because it saves a lot of money in advertising and passes one this benefit to its consumers.
The low cost of the product was the major factor for its success.

But their future products started getting costlier and they have started a lot advertising and even got Amitabh Bachchan as brand ambassador. They are moving away from their own principles

At the current prices, they products are not very appealing.
Do u know a phone with 128gb and 4 GB ram from Samsung cost 72k today and from Apple 80k whereas oneplus 5 128gb model cost almost half the price.

@swatkats I agree with what you have posted. Nowadays One Plus is only focusing on Marketing and the hype that they have created. OP5 is a great device but it doesn't live up to the initial brand practices of Great value per Dollar(INR ).

Kaka compare it with oneplus 3/3t and not oneplus 5, it's a more then a year old phone also was a flop it dint sell as expected.
you said 4 gb ram and 128 gb only. not this popular success rate, even the pixel is a flop. may be old but also in some ways it does exceed the op5 too. Better cam with OIS, better screen, waterproof. so it cant be left out for being from 2016 completely.

you said 4 gb ram and 128 gb only. not this popular success rate, even the pixel is a flop. may be old but also in some ways it does exceed the op5 too. Better cam with OIS, better screen, waterproof. so it cant be left out for being from 2016 completely.
You are missing the point, Comparison was of the price also you are comparing the phone which was launched @50k in March 2016, oneplus in June 2016 was launched for 28k which beats S7 in every department.

Back