The Witcher 3 - Discussion Thread

Indeed, it's not like that's a preorder price and will go up. The only thing that might happen is that retailers might run out of stock. And yes, retail copies are redeemable in GOG. So, wait for release, check out performance videos and decide.

I honestly prefer a controller to a keyboard/mouse. Can't beat the comfort of the couch for multi hour game sessions.

Yeah, mostly I'll wait for a while. May be sometime in June.

I'd say go for PC, kb+mouse over controller for RPG's any day plus it's 2k cheaper and you can probably link it to your gog account.
660Ti should be able to run it on med-high, you can decide after someone posts vids on youtube.

kb/m even for Action RPGs like Witcher? I find it a pain without the analog stick.

I honestly prefer a controller to a keyboard/mouse. Can't beat the comfort of the couch for multi hour game sessions.

Yeah, mostly I'll wait for a while. May be sometime in June.

So do I for the Witcher's gameplay. But I will be getting the PC version. It will have good support for controllers.

I got free code of this game with my new card; should I play the first two; is the story connected? I bought them already in some sale but never started. What do you guys suggest?

There are returning characters, but 1 and 2 are mostly independent. I would recommend playing Witcher 2 however.

Gaming is too mainstream nowadays for developers to risk alienating a big chunk of their playerbase with intertwined storylines.

I can't think of many games that require playing the prequels anymore (HL, StarCraft, Mass Effect).

Pre-load started! Haven't been this excited for a game in a while.

H2TxZlS.png

Pre-Load Started and can be played if you follow these steps before 19th May...

1. Disable internet/wifi connection,
2. Change your present date to 1 month later ie. June,19th,2015
3. Voila... Play....

3. Voila... Play....

Completed download, will try this tonight!!!!!...super excited...

Edit - isnt there a small patch that will be released on 19th which will make the game playable?

The sound track is amazing, as expected.

3. Voila... Play....

My pre-load was missing the exe.

The embargo should end in 45 mins from this post. We'll get reviews.

Thats odd, guys on the other forum have got the .exe, but it routes them to the GOG website requesting to download a patch, as expected! @bssunil can you confirm if anyone has been successful with the launch.

I'll check again when I get home. I recall seeing an uninstall.exe but no game exe.

I think the day one patch (1.01) that will enable the game will be hosted here - http://play.thewitcher.com/

Reviews seem positive. Here's a large gif from Kotaku's review. Spoiler due to size.

NdZumL5.gif

Last edited:
Gamespot[2] : 10

These distractions stand out in part because The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is otherwise incredible and sumptuous; the little quirks are pronounced when they are surrounded by stellar details. And make no mistake: this is one of the best role-playing games ever crafted, a titan among giants and the standard-setter for all such games going forward. Where the Witcher 2 sputtered to a halt, The Witcher 3 is always in a crescendo, crafting battle scenarios that constantly one-up the last, until you reach the explosive finale and recover in the glow of the game's quiet denouement. But while the grand clashes are captivating, it is the moments between conflicts, when you drink with the local clans and bask in a trobairitz's song, that are truly inspiring.

Game Informer[3] : 9.75

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt encompasses what I hope is the future of RPGs. It stands out for its wonderful writing, variety of quests and things to do in the world, and how your choices have impact in interesting ways. Usually something is sacrificed when creating a world this ambitious, but everything felt right on cue. I still think about some of my choices and how intriguing they turned out – for better or worse.

Eurogamer[4]

Ambiguity and the messiness of human life. Games have already proven that they can build and populate open worlds, even worlds as majestic and romantic and wild as this one. But this stuff is a reminder that the Witcher 3 is trying to do something different. It is trying to make an open world feel convincingly inhabited, to give it the warp and weft of narrative history. That's a pretty interesting quest, and CD Projekt is a pretty interesting adventurer, beating a path into strange and bewitching new places. The result is that this Polish studio's first open world is one of the greatest we've ever seen.

Gamesradar[5] : 4/5

I dearly hope that the 'day zero' patch eliminates The Witcher 3’s technical issues. They’re the main blemish on an otherwise rich and lengthy RPG. Even so, The Witcher 3 represents a generational leap in world design and fidelity, and is a spectacle that deserves to be savoured at its very best.

Kotaku[6] : YES

Wild Hunt is a grand adventure that feels distinctly of its time. It manages to set new standards for video game technology while accentuating the fleeting nature of technological achievement as an end unto itself. It is a worthy exploration of friendship and family, mixing scenes of great sorrow with scenes of ridiculous lustiness, tempering its melancholy with bright splashes of joy and merry monster guts. Come for the epic showdown between good and evil; stay for the unicorn sex.

IGN[7] : 9.3

Though the straightforward and fetch-quest-heavy main story overstays its welcome, the option of joyfully adventuring through a rich, expansive open world was always there for me when I’d start to burn out. Even if the plot isn’t terribly interesting, the many characters who play a part in it are, and along with the excellent combat and RPG gameplay, they elevate The Witcher 3 to a plane few other RPGs inhabit.

Gametrailers[8] : 9.8

After spending more than 100 hours in The Witcher 3, we’re still left with dozens of side quests to complete, enormous tracts of land left to explore, and monsters yet to fight. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a thoughtful, diverse, and frequently awe-inspiring adventure. Its stories are deep and satisfying, unafraid to touch on themes of personal character, presenting players with choices and consequences that aren’t about turning into a hero or a villain. In the end, it’s quite simply one of the best RPGs ever made.

[\quote]

Back