The Lego (and Knockoffs) Thread

raksrules

Elite
I have recently discovered Lego (yes I was probably living under a rock) and my son enjoys building them. I have personally started liking legos and like building them too. But as we know legos are crazy expensive and many a times out of reach for many people in India due to either non availability (except in big stores like Hamleys) or the cost.

Here comes the knockoffs which can burn a smaller hole in our pocket while still giving us (probably) similar satisfaction of building something. On trying to check out information about knockoff legos online, i found that the Lepin brand is pretty good (never actually bought anything) and seems they clone many of the original lego sets and even have their own. Here is a subreddit of the same if anyone wants to check..

https://old.reddit.com/r/lepin/ (yes i actively avoid the new reddit design :) )

We can use this thread to do various things likes...

Show your builds
Link some nice deals on lego sets (especially on Indian websites)
Discuss your experiences with Knockoff brands
Where to buy knockoff lego brand locally (if possible) or online (aliexpress etc) and good sellers
Anything else you may want to share.

Tried a couple of Lego knockoffs for my son, who is 7 yo and big time into Lego. Unfortunately, they are of very poor quality, and stand no where near Lego in terms of sturdiness, durability and precision of fit. Haven't heard about Lepin so far. Would like to try out if I can get my hands on them.
many a times out of reach for many people in India due to either non availability (except in big stores like Hamleys)
Lego is available nowadays in most decent toy shops even in a tier 2 town like mine. The problem is with choice (even Hamley's carries a limited stock; Lego showrooms in malls in the metros are better), and of course as you mentioned, the cost.

Tried a couple of Lego knockoffs for my son, who is 7 yo and big time into Lego. Unfortunately, they are of very poor quality, and stand no where near Lego in terms of sturdiness, durability and precision of fit. Haven't heard about Lepin so far. Would like to try out if I can get my hands on them.

Lego is available nowadays in most decent toy shops even in a tier 2 town like mine. The problem is with choice (even Hamley's carries a limited stock; Lego showrooms in malls in the metros are better), and of course as you mentioned, the cost.

Are there actual Lego stores in India? I highly doubt.

Edit: Searched on their website and it appears they have no stores in entire Asia. This seems weird.

So I had received the 700+ pieces knockoff lego set I had got a month or so back and today I made the set. Just want to share opinions about the set. This is not the supposedly good knock off like lepin etc but some no brand one which I got for $16 from aliexpress. The same set is now showing $36. I would probably have not paid that amount.

For now, I don't think there are any missing pieces which is good thing.

Set came in plastic bag (see pic) with several bags, all numbered. But those numbers are sort of useless as the manuals don't mention anything about those numbers.

Manuals are not in form of book but just printed papers. The worst part about the manuals is the colors used. You cannot make out in many cases what color goes where. Check pic to see what I mean.

The pieces most of the time fit nicely. But not the best fit. Putting together the people is as task due to fit being hard.

Took me 2-3 hours to make this truck. First time in life making lego set.

e1cef1c1cf67e36e339c30ad1b25bb9e.jpg

491acadd5a0aa10d52c61bbdd56eb797.jpg

391ee73201388f1b62d5298cc6a94a57.jpg

95d28bc2652c7aaf2f01db0db7b2e0ab.jpg

3956e601d34d8482b77f77a6760fac2e.jpg

The above compared to an original lego built today by me. About 3-4 pieces are missing. I had got about 6 Kgs of Lego for $75 in US locally and this set is the most complete. Few others have more missing pieces.

To people who want to buy Lego, I suggest buy original as you can feel the quality everytime you "play" with it. The fit is great and not hard at all. The manuals are very detailed, in form of books and with proper colors. These things combined, add to joy of building it. The knockoffs are not the best quality and leave a lot to be desired.

15b27aabe87f43fd781147bfb4fdc112.jpg

Last edited:
how much did it cost? I was planning to go there yesterday (hyderabad) but something else came up. when will the sale get over?
Sale was just for yesterday.
It costed me 2.5k approx.

I wasn't aware of the new store in Punjagutta Central, heard they have more Lego collections including Mindstorm and more Technic models.

Last edited:
Can categorically state my childhood would have been incomplete without legos :)

There was a japanese competitor at the time that made dia blocks. Not quite in the same league as lego in terms of imagination but cheaper so you got more bricks.

[DOUBLEPOST=1549931414][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bought my first Lego Technic yesterday at Hamleys 50% sale.

View attachment 78735
this was my first. Had to work very hard to get it

first technic.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone has suggestions for lego storage box that I can buy off Amazon / Flipkart or any other e-commerce website? I did buy 2 smaller (but longer) boxes locally but they aren't great quality and don't have clasp lid which I feel is desired in a lego box so even if the box falls, the pieces don't spill out of it.

Anyone has suggestions for lego storage box that I can buy off Amazon / Flipkart or any other e-commerce website? I did buy 2 smaller (but longer) boxes locally but they aren't great quality and don't have clasp lid which I feel is desired in a lego box so even if the box falls, the pieces don't spill out of it.

Had bought a small Pirate Ship from COGO and finally got around to blocking it together. Here are some photos:

COGO (3118) Sea Rover Pirate Ship, 167 Pieces:
IMG-20200818-114753.jpg

IMG-20200819-105015.jpg

IMG-20200820-124225.jpg

IMG-20200819-123736.jpg

IMG-20200819-131059.jpg

IMG-20200820-130241.jpg

DSCF7837.jpg

It's a nice set and once put together looks lovely! Some of the pieces were a little hard to block in but nothing frustrating (smoothness of LEGO build have spoiled me, LoL!). No missing pieces. The guide is a little sketchy but thankfully there is a speed build video available on Youtube if needed. Once it's complete the ship is very stable and no lose bits and pieces or disjointed pieces that fall out so that's a good thing at that. I'm leaving a link to it if anyone wishes to buy:

Sea Rover Pirate Ship Building Blocks

Also, got some LEGO. Will post photos post-build.

Cheers and Happy Blocking to everyone :)

Had bought a small Pirate Ship from COGO and finally got around to blocking it together. Here are some photos:

COGO (3118) Sea Rover Pirate Ship, 167 Pieces:
IMG-20200818-114753.jpg

IMG-20200819-105015.jpg

IMG-20200820-124225.jpg

IMG-20200819-123736.jpg

IMG-20200819-131059.jpg

IMG-20200820-130241.jpg

DSCF7837.jpg

It's a nice set and once put together looks lovely! Some of the pieces were a little hard to block in but nothing frustrating (smoothness of LEGO build have spoiled me, LoL!). No missing pieces. The guide is a little sketchy but thankfully there is a speed build video available on Youtube if needed. Once it's complete the ship is very stable and no lose bits and pieces or disjointed pieces that fall out so that's a good thing at that. I'm leaving a link to it if anyone wishes to buy:

Sea Rover Pirate Ship Building Blocks

Also, got some LEGO. Will post photos post-build.

Cheers and Happy Blocking to everyone :)
Love your photos mate!

Cool thread. Couple of months ago during the lockdown I found my old Legos while cleaning the house. All of them were brought from abroad and are 15+ years old. Unfortunately, I threw away the boxes so not sure which series they belong too. And as expected, some pieces were missing, but it was still fun to build them again.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Back