The Great Indian E-commerce thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Guys can we use this thread for all discussion purposes on the subject? Lets leave the feedback thread only for feedback and news only for the news. Using news/feedback thread for discussion may lead to unnecessary postings/going off-topic. Apologies if a discussion thread already exist, i couldn't find any. If it does then please direct me to it or merge with this thread.
Anyway, from:
https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comments/3vdd8q/do_you_guys_think_flipkart_and_snapdeal_can/
Do you guys think Flipkart and Snapdeal can survive Amazon
competition
Continuing it here since that thread will soon disappear into oblivion.
reddit user said:
It seems like flipkart and snapdeal are
drowning against the money power
amazon has and is using to become
big in India. It has already stolen the
no 1 spot from flipkart, and may soon
become a monopoly. While competition from amazon is healthy
(the reason for these crazy sales),
once it becomes a monopoly I doubt it
will be so nice
I agree with the above. If this keeps up with little or nothing from other sites then our worst nightmares will come true.
ex-Amazon employee reddit user said:
former amazon employee. nope. the
kinds of plans amazon has for India
are already five years in the future.
also amazon has years of experience
in supply chain and is lean and mean
when it comes to innovation. the focus on customer support is insane. they
pretty much took on Walmart, so i
don't see a chance for smaller players
to beat them down.
^ouch!
I'm also going to quote constructive comments from the web and post them here.[DOUBLEPOST=1449231884][/DOUBLEPOST]And so it begins...
"Flipkart suffers 2000rs crore loss in discount war." So much for the sale. :p
http://m.timesofindia.com/tech/tech...loss-in-discount-war/articleshow/50020933.cms
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/U...t-reports-a-loss-of-Rs2000-crore-in-FY15.html

Last edited:
Im in e comm industry so will chip in too. gossip and insider general info
So basically TMZ-equivalent reporter for E-commerce here?
I remember you working in the logistics department so I tagged you on a post but you didn't reply. :rage:
For more: look back to your tag history.

So basically TMZ-equivalent reporter for E-commerce here?
I remember you working in the logistics department so I tagged you on a post but you didn't reply. :rage:
For more: look back to your tag history.
i never got any tag notification. how do i chec k?

Amazon has built a reputation of being a customer centric company and that has raised a lot of hopes of people in India. I was like super happy when they started amazon.in. In US too, everyone knows buying from amazon (especially shipped and sold by them) automatically means they are in safe hands and you will be cared.
I am a Prime member and my order was not delivered in the 2 day window, I mentioned to chat and they extended the prime membership by a month for me. They can do this for a max 12 months if you order does not arrive within the 2 day period.

You know how Indians are, if it becomes a monopoly and discounts disappear people will go back to brick & mortar stores.
As for the FK loss maybe they're using Amazon's old tactic to avoid taxes (spending more on hoarding stuff/investing massively on inventory and assets against sales to post losses), that number is probably peanuts to the losses Amazon posts every quarter.

firings happening in jabong i heard from friend who is employee. business very down , director fired , company on sale but no buyers.

firings happening in jabong i heard from friend who is employee. business very down , director fired , company on sale but no buyers.
There will be more layoffs in the coming months in some smaller sites. More markets but profit margins may be getting smaller. I feel that e-com will be sustainable only after next 5 years or so. Until then they should try to control their expenses and cashburn.

Tangibly related post:

How do you deal with shitty gateways of Indian banks? For you, which card hits the cost/benefit ratio while shopping?

I have SBI Maestro card (I know, I know) and I get to see payment failed errors for sometime before payment is successful.

Lost on quite a few Amazon deals because of this.

Binny Bansal who was the COO replaced Sachin Bansal as the CEO of Flipkart. Sachin Bansal moves to the post of Executive Chairman (or whatever the heck that means).
@mods can you move this thread to the "WWW" section? @Crazy_Eddy

Binny Bansal who was the COO replaced Sachin Bansal as the CEO of Flipkart. Sachin Bansal moves to the post of Executive Chairman (or whatever the heck that means).
@mods can you move this thread to the "WWW" section? @Crazy_Eddy

Executive Chairman means i am still in the company doing nothing but earning s*it loads of money just by being myself.

Seems they are planning for IPO to run off with some money before FK goes fully down the drain :D

They are all making losses actually, i doubt that fk alone will die. Right now they are pitching heavily and investing to get a bigger share of the market. The change in CEO may mostly be because someone screwed up some promises to investors.
We'll probably know who wins and who looses only in the next 3-5 years. The growth in population of the middle class will play a huge factor.

Shopclues at par with Snapdeal. ShopClues estimated that it is now
valued at more than $1.1 billion (Rs
7,300 crore)
Like what the heck??
The valuation is not out of whack
given that they have been consistently
growing without burning much capital
as compared to others
Not sure how much they burn but honestly that is something which i've been waiting to hear from these companies. Controlling the cashburn could be one of the most important qualities for these e-com sites.
"We are confident that Shop-Clues'
merchant-first mindset and solid
management team will enable the
company to expand its reach,
especially in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities,"
That is great news. Hopefully they will keep their word.
Which e-com site seems to be the best/least complicated for a small time seller/trader? Low commission, not many issues when dealing etc. I want to introduce it to some small time traders here. I know about Shopo, its only accessible from the phone app which will not be really reliable here.

When i first heard about Shopclues a few years ago they used to give harddisks at much lower rates than others including local dealers. Back then i thought that they were fake and untrusted and so wouldn't recommend the site to anyone lol. This was further etched on my mind when i heard of some people receiving tampered packages and not refunded. And just a few months ago i thought that Shopclues wouldn't be able to compete with The Big 3 and would die soon. To think that they are now worth US$1B I gotta say i'm shocked and amazed. I wonder how and when they are going to break even. More funding which doesn't yield enough revenue (as expected) is going to do more harm than help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back